Places to eat in Bermuda

• Clocktower mall from the ship on the first day
    Clocktower mall from the ship on the...
    by grandmaR
  • Restaurants
    by starship
    Swizzle Inn - Bailey
    by starship

Most Viewed Restaurants in Bermuda

CV Cafe ~ Conscious Vibes: Fair Trade Coffee & Wi-Fi Internet in St. George's

by starship Updated Apr 30, 2013

Update: Even though St. George's still appears to be plaqued by the current worldwide economic situation, I was pleased to see on our recent trip in April, 2013, that it was still in business!

Not far from the ferry landing in St. George's we happened upon the rather new "CV Cafe" in a renovated space on Water Street. Open only since July, 2011, the CV Cafe was originally established by London transplant, Michelle Wales, who apparently had a passion concerning the ethos of "fair trade," a term which seems to be difficult to pin down by the owners as well as the rest of us. (More on this later.)

Not to be confused with the "Fair Trade Store," the cafe offers "fair trade" teas, coffees; specialty drinks, and smoothies, wine & beer have been added and Bailey's Ice-cream are also on tap although may not be made from "fair trade" products. A big draw may be the Wi-Fi internet access (complimentary?) which we saw at least one person taking advantage of. Between the four of us visiting that day, we had 3 cups of tea and 1 coffee which were expensive in a country where things are already expensive, LOL!!

The "Sweet Saak Bakery" offering a smattering of baked goods and sandwiches, also operates from the same location which literally is at the other end of the counter. One member of our party had a muffin, which while she declared it as being "good", but also rather small.

Although the CV Cafe seems to have great potential as a unique and interesting spot to enjoy a hot or cold drink and something sweet, it missed the spot for me on more than one count. Hopefully another visit at another time will reveal whether it has improved or not. One bright spot is that it has a very clean bathroom!

The Cafe is open from 8:30am to 5:30pm every day except Friday. SATURDAYS 10:00-5:30/6:00. Open the first Sunday of each month 11:00 - 3:00 hosting the Art on the Town event

Favorite Dish: While the CV Cafe has lofty intentions, I really didn't see or taste anything that set it apart from other coffee shops. If I'm going to spend more to eat and drink, I at least want to see and taste the difference since, as stated below, 'fair trade' products are not supposed to be about guilt!

DEFINITION OF FAIR TRADE: "Fair Trade is a system of exchange where purchasers agree to pay a slightly higher cost to make sure providers are able to maintain a decent standard of living .... Fair Trade is more than just a scheme to make buyers feel better about themselves; it is potentially the cornerstone of an entirely new economy where sustainability and justice, not low cost, are the key values." ~ quote from: worldwidefairtrade.com

In an interview with the Bermuda Sun News, Ms. Wales also stated that fair trade also means " 'They' don't allow child slavery and they don't allow chemicals." Not sure if this is true or false.

The Swizzle Inn ~ Bailey's Bay: Home of the Famous Rum Swizzle

by starship Updated Aug 4, 2013

The "Swizzle Inn" is famous in many realms for being the creator of the cocktail known as the "Rum Swizzle," a drink made of two types of Gosling's Bermudian Rum, Grenadine and fruit juices. "The Swizzle," as it's known locally claims it's also the oldest pub in Bermuda as it was established in 1932.

The Swizzle Inn was definitely on our list as a place to visit during our time in Bermuda. However, while we expected it to be a refined, tropical British outpost, it was anything but. The exterior of the Bailey's Bay Swizzle Inn is attractive with its two levels of sweeping verandas, and colorful patio dining area shaded with bright green market umbrellas and potted palm trees. However, the inside is shockingly unexpected! Rather than being a traditional dark wood, cozy pub with tables and British Colonial decor, it is an eclectic mix of odds & ends with graffiti-covered walls and business cards or other paper raffia covering nearly everything else. There was an area for live music, but as we were there for lunch only no one was playing!

Favorite Dish: Everyone at the table pronounced the pitcher of Rum Swizzles ($22.75) to be good, and the rum portion was not skimped on.

The large menu from the Swizzle Inn comes in the form of an old-fashioned newspaper with all the choices listed inside. There is something for nearly everyone and that includes kids!

The Swizzle Burger (Original Classic) Seasoned 6oz all beef burger with crisp bacon, real cheddar, lettuce and tomato on a sesame bun with fries and coleslaw was a good choice at $13.75 (2011 price). The burger was large, juicy and really tasty! Yum!! Hubby had the Back O'Town Fish Sandwich -- Breaded fish on a bun with shredded lettuce, tomato, spicy slaw and tartar sauce for $15.75 (2011 price). He said it as very good, but I thought it was a little pricey. All sandwiches (except the Monte Cristo and burgers) are served with choice of regular or seasoned fries, garden salad or Caesar salad.

It's too large to mention everything but the menu also includes a good list of bar appetizers aka starters, soups and salads ($7.25 and up), nachos, wings, plus "finger foods" ($9.25 to $18.50). Pizzas are $10.75 to $18.50 for a seafood pizza. Entrees run from $13.75 for the chilli up to $23.75 for the Seafood platter (2011 prices).

The Swizzle Inn may seem like a splurge, however, considering prices on the rest of the island, I thought my Swizzle Burger was a real good deal!!

Note: the Bermudian Dollar is still on par with the US Dollar (2011).

Bouchee: Classy without being stuffy

by 850prc Updated Aug 4, 2007

I'll go ahead and label Bouchee as "French" because that's what THEY say in the Free "Key to Bermuda Restaurants" guide. And, I guess Bouchee does SOUND French.

But, I'd say it's more a local place, as they include a lot of local seafood options for dinner. Perhaps they do add a bit of continental flair to presentation, but in reality, it's quite understated. And, I'd say that Bouchee also has a little Caribbean flair to their recipes as well. It's just a good place to eat. They are especially proud to state that Bouchee is "100% Bermudian owned and operated".

Dress at Bouchee is "Smart Casual", meaning that you don't wear shorts at dinner time, or jeans at any time. Thankfully, like MOST Bermuda places now, ::I:: didn't have to wear a jacket.

NOTE... this restaurant used to be called Monty's and THAT was a long-time Hamilton eatery. Based on past and present information I've checked online, Bouchee is a different place than Monty's, so comparing old Monty reviews to Bouchee now doesn't give you a good feel for the place.

Favorite Dish: The soups were quite good... my daughter had a variation on crab bisque that was very tasty, and Bonnie had a "Cream of White Mushroom" that she said was the best she'd ever had. I opted for my first go-round on Bermuda Fish Chowder, and I discovered an instant attraction to this spicy concoction.

My daughter and wife then followed up soup with salad as their main course, both choosing a pear-walnut salad that was excellent.

I chose one of the evening specials, a local rockfish dish. Rockfish is basically what we Floridians would call grouper. Excellent, well-prepared and fresh fresh fresh.

Dockyard Brewing Company: Sample five local microbrews

by 850prc Updated Aug 13, 2007

The Dockyard Brewing Company is actually the in-house microbrewery associated with THE FROG AND ONION PUB. There is a small covered patio area outside of "The Frog" over at Dockyards which is signed as "The Dockyards Pub". Basically, the items available at "The Dockyards Pub" are also on tap for The Frog and Onion Pub.

There are five different beers, each having a different focus and style. (Please see below, both in this and the next sections, for a description of the five brews. The prices are as follows: $5.75 for an English pint, which is 20 tasty ounces. A half-pint is $3.75. And if you want the BEST deal and/or you can't make up your mind, you can sample ALL FIVE brews (six ounces of each) for only $9.00.

Here are the five brews, the Dockyards' own description (from their menu) and my personal commentary...

Whale of a Wheat
    A typical German Hefeweizen, this light and refreshing ale is made using a combination of wheat and barley malts from Europe. Brewed using only German hops this summer thirst quencher is served with a traditional slice of lemon. Pete says...this is a darn good brew, one of those nice, crisp German beers that you'll find in a club in Berlin. Clean and refreshing. One of my two favorites.

St David’s Light (Lager)
    Brewed in the Pilsner style, this light, straw-coloured beer is delicately hopped with the finest European hops giving it a satisfying crisp flavour with a dry finish. Great brew to accompany the lighter meals. Pete says... has a lot in common with some of the beers I've tasted from the Czech Republic. If Pilsner floats your boat, sail to St. David's.

Favorite Dish: Somer’s Amber Ale
    The flagship ale of Dockyard Brewing this cooper-coloured ale is a traditional English Bitter. Created using the finest Noble hops this brew is all round crowd pleaser to be enjoyed with all foods! Pete says... excellent. But for me, I prefer the darker English brews.

Trunk Island Pale Ale
    Commonly referred to as IPA this highly hopped brew is packed full of flavour with sharp bitter finish. British soldiers serving in the far flung colony of India would appreciate this ale, which can be enjoyed with a variety of meals. Pete says... pale ales have always been a little edgy for me. This one's good and I'd be fine with a bottle anytime. But if I'm picking among these five special brews, I'd leave the pale ale for the IPA lovers of the world.

Black Anchor Porter
    A classic London Porter, this rich dark ale has it’s roots in the early brewing history of England. This full bodied, medium hopped beer is a great partner for the heavy game pies and meats. Pete says... There will always be an England. And it'll always remind me of beers like Black Anchor Porter. A true and hairy-chested darker beer that stands up to any menu item, and also stands alone for a beer-only evening. This is my other favorite.

So, summing up, I like them all. But my favorites are kind of opposite ends of the scale. I love the dark Black Anchor Porter. And, the Whale of a Wheat reminds me so much of my favorite German brews.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Beethoven's at the Dockyards: Stereotypes are sometimes true (see below)

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

Beethoven's is actually two different restaurants housed in the exact same space. For breakfast and lunch, it's pretty informal with a menu geared towards casual dining...maybe not casual pricing of course, this IS Bermuda...but casual dining. But at night, they apparently add candles to the tables, lower the lighting and turn into what Lonely Planet's Bermuda Guide actually called "perhaps the most romantic dining spot on the West End". Hmmm, I'll have to think about it I guess, we were there for lunch, and had burgers and salads, along with drinks. More drinks you say? This IS Bermuda. ;)

OK, let's also have a little chat about lunch versus breakfast. I suppose the same issue applies at lunch versus dinner. These cats are pretty set in their ways (not just at Beethoven, but in Bermuda proper) about strict times. Case in point, we wanted to get a quick lunch out at dockyards, so we walk in and seat ourselves (per the sign out front...remember, it doesn't turn into maitre'd-land until after dark). It's perhaps 11:50 am. They bring me the breakfast menu, and when we ask the waitress if we can't get the lunch menu, she points out that it's "not noon yet". So, we got up and left for about fifteen minutes, did a spot of shopping in the Dockyards shopping "mall" area, and then returned to Beethoven. We walked in, sat at exactly the same table that we had some 15 minutes earlier, and presto... it's lunchtime. Just like magic. They weren't nasty or anything, just quite adamant about 11:50 am being breakfast and 12:05 pm being lunch.

But, the food at Beethoven is very good, as is the service. So, synchronize your watches to be sure of your exact Atlantic Standard or Daylight time moment, and head over to Beethoven.

In the "STEREOTYPES EXIST BECAUSE THEY'RE TRUE" department, I found out later that Beethoven is owned and operated by two Swiss gentlemen. Switzerland = clocks = caring intensely about exactly what time it is. Now it all makes sense...kind of.

Favorite Dish: The breakfast menu (see above) looked pretty good, but we weren't in the mood for brekkie. They had all sorts of omelets, fresh fruit, breads/scones, etc. Also, there was a nice list of Belgian waffles and other pastries.

For lunch, it was much like a "classy pub" menu, with a few upgrades. I did see some steaks and chops available, along with some higher-end seafood items. We were eating light, so I had one of their ostrich burgers, medium well, with all the trimmings. Good good good, and although I'm not one to stick my head in the sand, I hear it's better for your heart that good old beefsteak. ;) As for my wife and daughter, they were on "soup and caesar salad mode". All nice and fresh, and well-prepared.

For dinner, they add the top-quality angus steaks, duck a l'orange and such.

Hey, going back to the lunchtime burgers, Beethoven had quite a "collection" of choices. They had the standard beefsteak, they had ostrich, they had a fish burger, and they also had a "Portuguese burger". When asked about the Portuguese burger, they said that it was made primarily of the classic Portuguese sausage (whose name is presently escaping me), ground and cooked with spices and filler to produce the "burger". Sounded great, but I didn't have my Prilosec in hand, so I went with the Big Bird Burger instead.

The Swizzle Inn: Swizzle Inn/Sw(ST)agger Out

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

The Swizzle Inn is one of Bermuda's most well-known and beloved pubs. They claim to be the source of the rum swizzle drink that's lapped up all over "the rock". And while others have swizzles, The Swizzle Inn feels theirs are, by far, THE most potent. Their unabashed motto is "Swizzle Inn, Swagger out". I personally think that STAGGER out might be a better choice. And for you worry warts out there, they make it very clear that they're more than happy to hail a cab....and the bus stops right across the street. So, getting tanked at the Swizzle shouldn't cause you much more than a morning headache, if you over do it.

The Swizzle Inn itself was established in 1932 in a 17th century roadhouse. My understanding is that the same family has run it since the 50s. There are now TWO Swizzle Inns in Bermuda... the original on Blue Hole Road in Hamilton Parish, and a new one over on the south shore at 87 South Road, Warwick Parish.

The original Swizzle Inn can be reached via buses 1, 3, 10 and 11. There is a bus stop right across the street. AND, if you visit Crystal Caves, the Swizzle Inn is actually just around the corner from Crystal Caves drive. So, you might want to set up a Cave and rum swizzle combo.

Favorite Dish: Well, they serve serious pub grub here, and it's all good. The bawdy Brit pub atmosphere adds to the fun, with all of the years and years of graffiti on the walls and tables. On some evenings, they add live music, but being typically "us", we were eating a bit earlier.

I decided that the Swizzle Inn was where ::I:: was going to have fish and chips, and it was a very good choice. The Inn is mondo traditional on their fish and chips, using cod and a nice beer batter. Bonnie and Sara decided to put their "southern style chicken" to the "we're southerners" test... and it passed. Mighty tasty bird they served.

As for drink accompaniment....as they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. So while in the Swizzle, we did as the swizzlers did. We ordered ourselves a big fat pitcher of rum swizzles and set to finishing them off. Yep, I had a nice buzz when we left. But seeing as how we did manage to catch the bus back into Hamilton AND we successfully walked the short distance from the Hamilton bus stop back to the Kingston House B&B without being killed, I suppose we showed some modicrum of adult responsibility. :) Didn't even have a headache the next morning, either.

The Lobster Pot: Wahoo! It's the Lobster Pot

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

The Lobster Pot is a long-time Hamilton eatery, featuring the best seafood offerings. As you'd guess from the name, they do feature lobster dishes, which seems a bit different given that they bring most of them in from Maine. But, I'm told their lobster is fresh and perfectly prepared.

The Pot has quite a few other nautical offerings, and if I remember, they had steaks as well. So if you're looking for anything from mussels to swordfish, and about everything in between, the Lobster Pot is a tried and true Bermuda Classic.

Favorite Dish: Everything is good at the Lobster Pot, and the reason is that "only the best goes into the pot", per their slogan. They use the freshest ingredients and have been doing this seafood gig for a long, long time.

Among the better appetizers are "Fritz's Famous Fish Chowder" and the lobster bisque. On the chowder, I recommend adding just a bit of the sherry pepper sauce (HOT enough to garner Al Gore's attention re the climate...) and maybe a teaspoon and a half of the Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Umm Ummm.

For a main course, fresh fish is a great choice. You can choose the fish of the day, or several other offerings, and can have it prepared a variety of ways. I chose the Wahoo Steak (my dad caught a huge wahoo in Bermuda when we lived here, and we still have that photo on my parents' wall, so I ordered wahoo in honor of dear old dad), and I had it done "island style", pan fried and topped with bananas and almonds. Bonnie did the local rockfish, and went with the simple "broiled with lemon butter" prep.

Among the other great items on the menu were:

THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE, a combination of shrimps, scallops and fish, broiled or deep-fried and served with tartar sauce or lemon butter

THE SEAFOOD LOVER'S FEAST, ½ Maine lobster, mussels, crab claws, clams and shell on
    shrimps, simmered in a saffron stock with vegetables

THE ARGUS TOWER CONNECTION, broiled wahoo, tuna & dolphin all in one boat, topped with tomato and glazed with hollandaise sauce

I also remember that the Lobster Pot had a very nice and tempting dessert menu. Sara went with the chocolate mousse...excellent.

The Frog and Onion Pub: Dockyard Favorite

by starship Updated May 17, 2013

While doing research for our trip to Bermuda, King's Wharf and the Royal Naval Dockyard in particular, one place that I often saw mentioned was the "Frog & Onion Pub."

The unique name of the pub comes from the fact that the Pub was established in 1992 by a Bermudian (The Onion) and a Frenchman (The Frog). The cooperage building where the pub is ensconced was completed in 1853. A "cooperage" is a "workshop that built, repaired and dismantled barrels, casks and kegs." The Dockyard filled the very necessary task of provisioning wooden sailing ships at a time when almost all provisions came in barrels or casks so they could be loaded and stored in the cargo holds of the ship. Empty water casks needed to be taken ashore for refilling at the watering place. The cooperage space and adjacent Victualling Yard were converted to five storehouses in the 1940s eventually finding itself home to The Frog and Onion Pub, a craft and souvenir shop, and a movie theater.

After our regular dinner aboard ship, we capped off the balmy evening by strolling over to this pub with one of our ship friends to see what it was all about and what we found was a unique place to have a bite if hungry, a drink and a little live entertainment as well. We found a lively crowd surrounded the bar and lots of tables were filled by patrons enjoying the dining as well. Since we intended only to order drinks and an appetizer, we took a table closer to the entrance and where we could see & listen to the guitarist who was playing that evening but not take up valuable dining space.

The menu features a selection of Traditional English style pub food. The Pub has several dining areas both indoors and out. There are two outdoor dining areas, the Beer Garden Patio and the Victualling Yard Deck --- great for viewing the historic stone buildings or the Bermuda Maritime Museum on either side depending on which side of the establishment you sit. One nice indoor space is called the "Cooper's Room" which features a giant, original stone fireplace, often ablaze, as its centerpiece.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During our latest visit in April, 2013, we took a table on the outside patio and tried some of the Dockyard Brewing Company's craft brews: "The Whale of the Wheat Ale" in an approximately 16 oz. souvenir glass was $12.95, a pint size "Trunk Island Pale Ale" ($8.95), and a diet Coke (?) along with a good size plate of thick cut, battered red onion rings with Bermuda Jam Storm Surge dip ($8.95) was a delicious though pricey combo for a total of almost $40 when the bill came. The "mandatory" 17% gratuity was already included in the total. Another popular appetizer that I saw on many table was the "Frog Nachos" ($13.95) a tower of layered tortilla chips, seasoned ground beef, salsa, cheese and sour cream. This dish looked like it easily fed 4 people. The most unique appetizer on the menu, to me, was the deep fried, battered pickles ($10.95)!! I didn't see anyone that ordered that so I cannot vouch for how large of a dish of pickles it was.

The bar area is where you can watch your favorite team on one of the large television screens while enjoying ales brewed on site Dockyard Brewing Company beer.

The menu comes with a wide range of appetizers, soup & salad, curries, pasta, and a small but nice selection of main entrees--prices run $15.95 to $28.75; a little pricey but they look great. Particularly unique are the "pub pies" ($19.95 each) -- Cottage (Shepherd's pie), chicken & vegetable, and Bermuda-style mussel pie.

Of course, every unique bar has its gift shop and this pub's is named the Ballast Gift Shop where you will find gifts and memorabilia of your trip to The Frog and Onion Pub. For my husband no trip to a unique pub would be complete without bringing home a pint glass with the beer or establishment's name on it.

Within easy walking distance from King's & Heritage Wharfs or anywhere in the Royal Naval Dockyard. Feeling refreshed and ready to venture on, from the pub we made the short walk over to the nearby Snorkel Park Beach.

Favorite Dish: We really enjoyed our onion ring appetizer and trying the new brews on our April, 2013 visit. While visiting in October, 2011, my husband & I sampled one of pub's own micro-brews, "Somers Amber Ale" which the pub was out of on this most recent visit.

Gee, I'd recommend the Somers Amber Ale and The Whale of the Wheat Ale for sure and while you're at it, some pub grub.

The Frog and Onion Pub: Hungry at the Dockyards? Hop to the FROG

by 850prc Updated Aug 13, 2007

The Frog and Onion is one of Bermuda's most recommended pubs. For a lunch or dinner out at dockyards, it's an excellent choice. This place is named for its owners, one French (le FROG) and one Bermudian (the ONION). They have an excellent selection of food and spirits, and it's served in a friendly and typically pub manner. Many of the specialties are named for famous English pubs, which makes for some interesting moments during your order session. (see below)

As is our usual plan, we were eating early and didn't hear the live band or DJ. But, I'm told that the Frog really hops later in the evening, and especially on Dockyard Nights...the weekly celebration that occurs for cruise ship visitors.

Also, if you're into billiards or snooker, The Frog and Onion is one of the few pubs in Bermuda that has pool tables.

On a personal note, please say hello to Respesio, our waiter. What a great guy. Tell him that we finally figured out what that creature on the Bermuda flag really is. :)

Favorite Dish: Outstanding pub grub here.

I had the Frog and Onion burger, a goliath hunk of medium-well (my choice) ground steak, with cheddar cheese, meaty bacon and cheddar cheese. Add the garden goodies and a little catsup, mustard and mayo and it's perfect.

As I mentioned above, many of the pub specialty dishes are named for famous English pubs, for regiments stationed in Bermuda and for Bermuda forts. These would include:

The "Royal Irish" (as in regiment) will get you (beef tenderloin strips, chourizo sausage, & tiger shrimp in a light tomato pepper curry sauce). A call for "The Bishop's Head" will result in savory chicken curry gracing your table. And in case you're traveling with vegetarian, you could order "The Duke of Edinburgh". (a crepe filed with mushrooms, tomato, almonds, peppers, in a light cheese sauce served with seasonal greens) :)

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The White Horse Tavern: Saddle up at the White Horse for lunch!

by 850prc Updated Aug 12, 2007

The White Horse is a great place for atmosphere, and some decent pub grub as well. Located right on the harbor at St George, in King's Square, White Horse is a good place for a pint or a bite. There are dining areas both inside and outside (under an awning).

They have a nice collection of salads and sandwiches for the lunch menu, and several meat dishes are added for dinner. Seafood is also a good choice, especially at dinner.

The White Horse also considers itself a "sports bar" and has live entertainment in the evenings.

Favorite Dish: We did a light lunch at White Horse. Beers all the way around, and then one of their "Bermuda Onions", the local version of the ubiquitous "blooming onion" appetizers served at fern bars everywhere. I had another try of the local fish chowder, and White Horse's was quite good. Bonnie and Sara did salads.

Hey, happy hour at White Horse happens seven days a week, from 5-7 pm. You can get $3.50 beers, which is a good deal in Bermuda.

White Horse also features an "all day breakfast special" for $14.95, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon, 2 sausages, 2 eggs (Your choice of fried, scrambled, over easy, hard boiled, or sunny side up), with fried potatoes. In the mornings, White Horse also features the local breakfast treat, codfish and potatoes.

Among the better pub offerings are the bangers and mash...one of MY favorite pub dishes. :) The seafood platter is a pretty good Bermuda deal for $17.95. It includes fried coconut shrimp, scallops, wahoo, calamari & conch fritter served with french fries or salad, with your choice of tarter, cocktail, or keylime mustard sauce.

Flanagan's Irish Pub: "Kind of" an Irish Pub in Hamilton

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

Located in downtown Hamilton, in a second story abode at 69 Front Street, Flanagan's advertises itself as Bermuda's only IRISH pub. I can't vouch for the complete truth of that statement, and I'm not totally sure Flanagan's is a genuine IRISH pub. Sure, it's got plenty of shamrocks and Irish-themed food and drinks. But, then again, so does the Bennigan's chain in America. :) But...

Flanagan's is pretty good for a quick bit or a light meal. Drinks are decent as well, along with a good selection of beers. The BEST thing about Flanagans is that it has more extended hours, even on Sunday, than do some other establishments in Hamilton. If you're in the mood for a food snack at 2:30 pm, Flanagan's is your ticket.

For some reason, the folks who owned the B&B we stayed at did NOT care for Flanagans. I think they felt that it was less of a pub and more of a thumping music club. That could be true later in the evening, we weren't there at 10 pm or anything. I was also warned that the service wasn't so good, and I can happily report that such warnings were not confirmed. During our stay in Bermuda, we visited Flanagans twice...once for a late Sunday lunch, and once for just a drink... and the service was great. Friendly waiters, and they took the time to talk abit with us about Cricket, which was on the big screen TVs. They had me almost wishing we'd be in town next week for the big Somerset vs St. Georges match.

Flanagans also advertises an all-day English breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, black pudding and fries). Some say it's great for a hangover, but I have to say... me + black pudding wouldn't be a good mix if I was hung over. :^/

Favorite Dish: Some of the items are pub grub... burgers, fish and chips, etc. Others could fit more into the American fern bar genre... chicken wings, deep fried mushrooms (they had some silly name like Leprechauns Gold). You get the idea, not grand cuisine. Not really even charming pub food. But, it was well prepared, reasonably (for Bermuda) inexpensive. And it was OPEN when we wanted to eat or drink. Going back to the food, I saw someone at another table checking out the Steak and Guinness Pie.

Gotta admit that the pint of Bass Ale one afternoon really hit the spot. Oh, that brings us to one other thing... aside from the eatery, there is an honest to goodness bar back closer to the staircase. Quite a few local types seem to hang out there, watching TV, chatting up the barmaid and downing beer. They were friendly when we passed by going into and out of the eating part of Flanagans.

The Hog Penny Pub: Hogging pub history in Hamilton

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

The Hog Penny is one of Hamilton's historic pubs. They've been serving happy customers for about fifty years, which means that they were here and cooking back when I lived in Bermuda. Being a little kid, I didn't hang out in pubs much, though.

The Hog Penny name comes from original coins used in Bermuda that were called Hogges or Hog Pennies. They had a picture of a hog on them, hence "The Hog Penny". Sometime I wish America would go back to putting buffalos or hogs or whatever on OUR money. I'm kind of tired of politicians. :)

The Penny has a nice beer menu and serves up tall schooners of Brit beer, along with quite a few of the local rum specialities. Their food is quintessential British pub food, and it's "smashing", to borrow a phrase from the Poms. :)

Unlike some of the other pubs, the Hog Penny is less raucous and more reserved. On some evenings, they'll have a guitar duo adding music, but it's no disco. You'll like the Hog... we did.

Favorite Dish: I decided to go full-scale Brit pub, and had the bangers and mash. Local pork sausages with mashed potatoes and gravy. Darn good, quite filling, and just what I wanted that night.

Continuing the "lets be Brits" theme, Bonnie and Sara shared a plate of English fish and chips, also perfect.

Bonefish Grill/Dockyards: Another Dockyard option

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

We didn't eat here either, but I've been told by several folks that it was very good. It's one of the newer places out at the Dockyards. And BTW, I know there is a chain of restaurants in America called "The Bonefish Grill"...I think it's part of the same bunch that does Carrabbas Italian, etc. I don't think THIS establishment is associated with the American chain.

Basically, they have a restaurant and bar combo, and for the dining, you can either eat outside (under an awning or umbrellas) or indoors, depending on the winds and temperature.

Favorite Dish: Again, didn't eat here. But, they advertise themselves as serving "reasonably priced seafood, top-grade meat, and pasta dishes.

The separate bar looked like a nice place to wet your whistle out on the Dockyards as well.

Horseshoe Beach Cafe: Burgers and Dogs at Horseshoe

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2007

We spent a morning and early afternoon out at Horseshoe Bay Beach, on Bermuda's south coast. When it came time for lunch, we went up to the little Horseshoe Beach "cafe", which was really just a fast food stand. We'd picked an EXCELLENT day to come to Horseshoe. Based on the advice our our b&b hosts, we came on a day when there were ZERO cruise ships docked anywhere in Bermuda. Boat people tend to flock to Horseshoe and the other Bermuda beaches, inundating them with humanity. So, being at Horseshoe on a down day was great. We had a chance to chat with the guys and gals running the cafe, and they were so friendly and charming. They seemed to really like us because we WEREN'T cruisers.

Nothing special about the food here, it's simple and well prepared. Price is higher than you'd ever pay back home, but not bad for Bermuda. And, this is the kind of place where you go sit out back on a patio while they're fixing your food. And when it's ready, the cashier lady walks out and says "Hey Pete, your lunch is ready". :)

Favorite Dish: Just a hamburger stand....

They had hot dogs, burgers, chicken strips and I think I saw fish and chips. Pretty sure they had their version of fish chowder on the menu, too. My girls did burgers and I had a hot dog with fries. Hot and tasty, a nice little lunch before heading back out for a few more rays.

ONE OTHER NOTE... the Horseshoe Cafe is attached to a public shower facility for Horseshoe, so besides a place to get a coke or a hog dog, you can go in and shower the salt water from yourself. Well maintained and clean, too...especially for a public beach.

They also rent beach equipment from a stand next to the cafe. Umbrellas, boogie boards, etc.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo

The Lighthouse Tea Room: HIGH afternoon Tea

by Ekahau Updated Apr 4, 2011

Lighthouse Tea Room

68 St. Anne's Rd, Gibb's Hill Lighthouse, Bermuda

The Lighthouse Tea Room is a classic English/Bermuda tearoom it has a really beautiful view of Great Sound. The Lighthouse serves a full Englishafternoon tea complete with Devonshire cream and homemade scones. This is a magical British Bermudian atmosphere that is quit literally on top of Bermuda. The owner is Heidi Cowen, she does all the baking and she grew up in the old dwelling. In fact her grandfather was the last lighthouse keeper before electronic lights were introduced 50 years ago.

Favorite Dish: English afternoon tea

Bermuda Hotels

Instant Answers: Bermuda

Comments

Bermuda Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bermuda restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bermuda sightseeing.
Map of Bermuda