Related Southampton Parish Favorites Tips

From a distance coming in the harbor
    Gibbs Lighthouse from the ferry
    Old postcard of Gibbs Lighthouse

Most Viewed Favorites in Southampton Parish

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

by grandmaR Updated Jan 18, 2013

Favorite thing: Since I love looking at lighthouses, I thought that one thing I might do while I was in Bermuda was to visit Gibbs Lighthouse. But it didn't work out that way until 2011 at least partly because there is some walking to do to get to it if you don't take a taxi.

Although the lighthouse can be seen by ships from 40 miles away (it is still active although it was damaged in Hurricane Fabian), the closest that I got was on the ferry. That's something that I have had to put off until next time.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to climb the 185 steps (probably not), but I thought we might have tea there. They also have a gift shop.

By Bus From Hamilton:

Take Bus # 7 which will take you via South Shore past the Fairmont Southampton Princess Hotel. Leave the bus at the Henry IIIV restaurant bus station. From there it is a 5 - 10 min walk to the lighthouse.

Hours:
    7 days a week 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Closed for the month of February

Fondest memory: In the decade before the lighthouse was constructed, a total of 39 vessels were wrecked off the Western end of the islands - the reefs extend some 16 miles or more out to sea.

• Cruise
    • Architecture
    • Sailing and Boating

Southampton Parish Hotels

Instant Answers: Southampton Parish

Comments

Southampton Parish Favorites

Reviews and photos of Southampton Parish favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Southampton Parish sightseeing.
Map of Southampton Parish