Related Canada Favorites Tips

by kris-t

Most Viewed Favorites in Canada

Butchart Beautiful Gardens

by doreenellen Updated Nov 4, 2004

Favorite thing: Another favorite thing about Canada was Butchart Gardens in Victoria. The gardens used to be a quarry and was bought by the husband of the family for his wife. She used to manage all the plants herself but the gardens grew too much for her to manage. The gardens still remain in the Butchart family and they employ around 65 gardeners all year round and the same amount of seasonal gardeners.
    The gardens includes : A lovely Sunken Garden, as photo shown. Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, Italian Garden and many pretty walkways and waterfalls.
    There is also a Seed and Gift Store, Cafe and Visitor Centre.
    We took a ferry ride from Vancouver.

Fondest memory: The gardens will remain in my memory

Sunken Gardens at ButchartA

Olympic Stadium

by doreenellen Written Nov 12, 2004

Favorite thing: OlympicStadium was a wonderful structure.
    1978 Olympics held in Montreal. A worthwhile trip to see both the stadium and the dome which is now a rain forest. You can see many fish, mamals, penquins, birds etc
    There are ear phones which guide you through the dome giving out lots of informaiton regarding the species as you go along the pathways.
    Very interesting site to visit.
    The metro runs directly into the area which is useful too.

Fondest memory: Will remember the dome as one of the best parts of Montreal

Olympic Stadium

Northwest Territories

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: The Northwest Territories is another one of Canada's territories and I always argue that when you go to these northern regions like the Yukon and the Northwest Territories you get a very good look at how rural Canadians live.

During my visit to the territories I mainly explored the capital of Yellowknife.

My VT Yellowknife Page

Yellowknife itself is a great northern city but again in the north you are going to find a vast wilderness where you have to explore and enjoy the great outdoors.

Great fishing, hunting, adventuring opportunties, aboriginal cultures, a mining history, big business in the diamond industry and a some of the country's best waterfalls! Check out Cameron Falls on my Yellowknife page.

The capital of the NWT is Yellowknife.

Fondest memory: To help you find some more information on the territories here are some more great sites.

VT Northwest Territories Page

Canada's Northwest Territories Page

NWT Government Tourism Site

NWT locator map :-)

Nunavut - Canada's Newest Territories

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Nunavut is Canada's newest territory with a mainly Inuit aboriginal population. I would have to say it is probably Canada's most remote land.

As you can see it is vast and you can go to the top of the world if you wish. I mainly explored Iqaluit when I was in Nunavut.

My VT Iqaluit Page

I have been all across Canada north and south and this is without a doubt one of my favorite experiences. This is going to cost you some dollars to get here but if you are creative there are ways!! Airmiles? Work? Standby? If you really want to try something different, authentic and unique make the effort to go here. Toronto is way to easy!!!

The capital of Nunavut is Iqaluit.

Fondest memory: Once again here are some more site to supplement my Iqaluit tips.

VT Nunavut Page

Nunavut Tourism Site

City of Iqaluit

Nunavut locator map :-)

Rich Alberta!

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Alberta has the unique distinction of being Canada's richest province. They have a lot of money and are in a good financial position largely because of the oil sand industry in northern Alberta.

From a tourism perspective there is a lot to see from Canada's largest mall, some nice urban cities to Canada's rocky mountains!! I recommend the rockies! Here are my Alberta pages, unfortunatly I wasn't a VT member when I was hear last. Hoping to drastically update these pages :-).

A little tip, if you want the mountains and no crowds pick Kananaskis. It has all the best scenery without the bus loads of tourist!!

Banff, Alberta
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canmore, Alberta
    Kananaskis, Alberta
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Lake Louise, Alberta

The Capital of Alberta is Edmonton.

Fondest memory: Here are some more web sites that will help you plan your adventure to Alberta. I hope this is helpful.

VT Alberta Page

Travel Alberta, Canada

Discover Alberta

Explore Alberta

Alberta locator map :-)

Saskatchewan

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Arguably Canada's flatest province. Saskatchewen has a lot of farming land and wheat farming is one of the main industries.

Unfortunately for my I havn't explored this province in depth. I merely drove through on a cross Canada trek :-( and stayed in Grenfell, Saskatchewen on a cold winter day.

I have to say it was the flatest drive I have ever taken. I remember leaving the motel and going to the local truck stop to get some food and you will quickly see this is very rural Canada as well. It was a classic diner experience and I'll always remember it.

Don't let my lack of experience in this province discourage you!! There are plenty of unique opportunities and culture here with a vast backyard so do some more research and this might be exactly what you are hoping to experience.

A farm stay perhaps?

The capital of Saskatchewan is Regina.

Fondest memory: Here are some more web sites that will give you a better flavor for this province.

VT Saskatchewen Page

Saskatchewen Tourism

Northern Saskatchewen Tourism

SaskatoonTourism

Saskatchewen locator map :-)

Ontario Canada

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Don't get the idea you will drive across Ontario in one day! This is a big province and I have scene a lot of it but no where near all of it!!!

I recommend the Kenora area in the north as a boating destination, Ottawa the nations capital is beautiful, if you are into urban environment's Toronto is Canada's biggest, the famous Niagra Falls or explore the Great Lakes of Canada.

I have mainly explored Ottawa, despite being in Toronto many times I am normally just passing through. I need to plan a trip specifically here!!

My VT Ottawa Page

My VT Toronto Page

The capital of Ontario is Toronto.

Fondest memory: VT Ontario Page

Ontario Travel

Southern Ontario Tourism

Southern Ontario Tourism

Ontario locator map :-)

Newfoundland and Labrador

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Newfoundland and Labrador is without a doubt one of Canada's tourism jewels and a very unique expierence.

The people are different, the hospitality is the best, the scenery is amazing and there is a lot to see and do!!!

If you have gotten to this part of Canada yet, what are you waiting for? Seriously its a great destination!!

The capital of Newfoundland and Labrador is St. John's.

Fondest memory: Here are some pages to set you on your way in Newfoundland and Labrador!

- The Labrador region ......
    Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

- Where I was born ......
    Mary's Harbour, Labrador, Canada

- Where I grew up ......
    English Point / Forteau, Labrador, Canada

- Where I live ......
    Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada

- The Provincial Capital ......
    St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador

- The provinces most northerly community ......
    Nain, Labrador

- Home of the annual Salmon Festival ......
    Rigolet, Labrador

- A National Historic District ......
    Battle Harbour, Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador locator map :-)

Manitoba

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Manitoba is located in central toward western Canada. Another province with a traditional farming economy and a landscape very similar to Saskatchewan.

Manitoba however is also well known for its great lakes, fishing, boating and the city of Winnipeg.

I mainly drove through this province like Saskatchewan but would love to return and explore the lakes myself.

The capital of Manitoba is Winnipeg.

Fondest memory: Here are some great Manitoba travel pages that will help you make your plans.

VT Manitoba Page

Travel Manitoba

Destination Winnipeg

Discover Winnipeg

Manitoba locator map :-)

Totem Poles in Stanley Park National Park

by doreenellen Written Nov 5, 2004

Favorite thing: These are some of the Totem poles we saw and admired in Stanley Park which is just over the bridge from Vancouver.
    There was a visitors centre and information on the history of these totems.
    They were of different colour, styles and sizes.
    Very unusual sight

Totem Poles in Stanley Park

Wonderful Scenery

by doreenellen Written Nov 4, 2004

Favorite thing: Vancouver was my favorite city as there was so much to see and do. The harbour and shops were wownderful
    Banff and Jasper were my favourite little towns. It says Banff is as close to heaven as can be and I would agree. So beautiful

Fondest memory: The diverse scenery, from Cities, Harbours Countryside and mountains.
    We saw different towns with magnificent buildings and harbours. Were lucky enough to be there at time of the fall where the red leaves were at their best. Miles and miles of beautiful colours. High monuments to see over the city of Toronto and Calgary.
    The amazing sights of niagara falls, where we lucky enough to see a double rainbow.
    We saw wonderful lakes and deep canyons and national parks with load to do and see.

Winter wonderland
    • National/State Park

Wild Life in Canada

by doreenellen Updated Nov 12, 2004

Favorite thing: We were told by our tour manager to watch out for wild life. Of their beauty but also of the dangers.
    We were lucky enough to see Elk, Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Wolfs. Coyote and Racoons.
    This photo was taken at Prospect Point at Vancouver.

Fondest memory: The wild life were everywhere. On the roads, by the side of the roads and in the hotel gardens. We did not see Bears as they will be finding somewhere to live for the winter at this time we were told..

Posing Racoon

Ottawa 8 locks

by doreenellen Updated Jan 15, 2005

Favorite thing: Ottawa was a nice surprise with the lovely river and 8 locks also the buildings.
    There was a good market selling everything from fruit, flowers and handicrafts.

Fondest memory: Divercity of Ottawa was a big surprise.
    Not enough time to venture outside the main city as only had few hours.

8 Locks of Ottawa
    • Beaches
    • Architecture

British Columbia

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Bristish Columbia is Canada's most westerly province and enjoys a nice warm climate, arguably the most comfortable in Canada.

Like the rest of Canada, BC is a very large province. I mainly explored Vancouver, you can visit my VT page for Vancouver by following this link.

You really have to get out though and explore more of BC. For me I want to get to Victoria, many of the vast islands in the pacific, Whistler, northern BC and the interior where there are some great skiing destinations.

I remember enjoying being in Vancouver with the Pacific to one side and the jagged mountains in the background. It is a beautiful province.

The capital of British Columbia is Victoria.

Fondest memory: Here in this section I just have some web sites listed that will help you get more information on this province. I think they will help with your planning. I hope this tip is a good help to you.

VT British Columbia Page

VT Hello BC Site

BC Travel Guide

Another BC Travel Guide

I think these sites will set you on your way to British Columbia.

British Columbia locator map :-)

The Yukon

by jamiesno Updated Nov 14, 2004

Favorite thing: The Yukon is north of British Columbia, is one of Canada's territories and you are venturing here into the land of golf rush history and you are in very close proximity of Alaska in this region.

Through my travels I explored the Whitehorse area in depth and ventured into Alaska on a couple of occassions now. My VT pages are below on these regions.

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
    Skagway, Alaska, USA
    Haines, Alaska, USA

In this area of Canada you are going to find rich history, vast wilderness areas, peace, quiet, great road trips, mountianous scenery, northern landscapes, aboriginal populations, Canada's highest peak and much more.

You will be impressed with the Yukon! The capital of the Yukon is Whitehorse.

Fondest memory: To follow up my tip on the Yukon I'll provide some more external sites that will set you on the way to getting more information. But definitely visit my pages above for some VT advice :-)

VT Yukon Page

44 Reviews - 98 Photos
Windsor Hotels
321 Reviews - 984 Photos

Instant Answers: Canada

Comments

Canada Favorites

Reviews and photos of Canada favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Canada sightseeing.
Map of Canada