Inuvik Things to Do
Inuvik has some well maintained hiking trails one of which is just 15 min from the centre of town running along the bank of the Mackenzie river. It can be easily accessed from the Mackenzie hotel by walking south for about ten minutes to the riverRelated to:
- Hiking and Walking
An average comfortable establishment. For convenience, it is situated almost in the middle of the...more
300 Mackenzie Road, Inuvik, X0E 0T0, Canada
Good for: Couples
25 Carn St, Inuvik, X0E 0T0, Canada
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Families
Flying up to Inuvik via Old Crow and Dawson in a 1960's Yukon Air turboprop is an experience. Due to the fairly low level flying and the mountainous terrain, make sure you take your air sick pills in your hand luggage as at times it can be a bit roughRelated to:
- Family Travel
From Europe one of the most direct routes is to take a Condor Air flight from Frankfurt, direct to
Whitehorse and change onto a local flight up to Inuvik on for example Air North
Many folks will advise you to carry one or more spare tires if you're traveling the Dempster Highway. We'd rented our car, so didn't have a convenient (or cost effective) way to get or carry a spare, and find we didn't need it. We didn't see anyone along the way who looked like they needed one, either. If you're on worn tires, I recommend you check the spare you usually carry.
Inuvik Warnings and Dangers
A couple of streets off the main strip in Inuvik is this street sign which appears to be permanent
"Indian Parking Only - all others will be cursed"
Judging by the state of the front yard it seemed wise to park elsewhere !Related to:
- Road Trip
Inuvik What to Pack
Luggage and bags: - If you enjoy seafood - bring a cooler to carry CHAR home. This fish is DELICIOUS! You may only get it up north (well, I've never seen it here in Edmonton). You may get a whole frozen fish for about $40 - $50 CAD. Bring a cooler to pack it in to ensure it arrives home in good/edible condition.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: - A warm sweater.
- A rain coat (in summer).
- Sun glasses (in summer).
Photo Equipment: - MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR CAMERA - poised and ready!
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: (I wasn't sure whether to put this in "Toiletries..." or here....)
- If you are not planning to spend much time indoors, or you are NOT travelling to Inuvik in the winter months: BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT. This is a MUST. I did not find this too much of an issue (maybe that was the sign that snow was on it's way). However, I've been told that mosquitos are very large and prevalent in Inuvik. Repellent will allow for a more comfortable trip. DON'T FORGET IT!
Miscellaneous: - Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, oranges)
- Meal items (canned/ready-made foods, bread/buns/cheese sticks, save your cereal and milk from the flight up).
- BRING A FLASHLIGHT! If you're here in the winter, there is NO SUNLIGHT. You will be in darkness 24 hours a day.Related to:
- Budget Travel
Miscellaneous: Whatever you do, don't drive the Dempster Highway without either mosquito netting or mosquito repellant (or both!)....Related to:
- Hiking and Walking
3 Hotels in Inuvik
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees