Georgetown Travel Guide

Multiple rainbow 'brellas in Georgetown
    There's the sign!
  • Clamdiggers Restaurant in Georgetown, PEI
    Clamdiggers Restaurant in Georgetown,...

Georgetown Restaurants

• 850prc's Profile Photo

by 850prc Written Oct 27, 2009

Clamdiggers is well-advertised along the roads near Georgetown, so you'll have little problems finding or remembering it, should you find yourself driving the Points East Coastal Drive. The restaurant proudly proclaims to have THE best fish and chips on Prince Edward Island. That's a hard prize for me or anyone to award, there are quite a few places featuring fresh haddock and fries, and many of them are darned good. But there is zero doubt that Clamdiggers serves a bountiful seafood menu, and it's fresher than fresh. Excellent and friendly service, and a very relaxed, laid-back dining room. Clamdiggers also claims to host the "best sunsets on Prince Edward Island". Can't address that claim for two reason.... first, we were there midday, for lunch. And second, there wasn't any sunshine to be had at the time, it was a bit rainy. But, I suppose a couple of cold beers out on the Clamdiggers deck would be a good place for "sundowners", as the Africans call it.

I think that the restaurant used to be a small train station, or is a recreation of a train station, something like that. There are lots of historical photos inside of very serious-looking Victorian era officials with handbar mustaches, etc. None of us knows where we're headed in life or how we'll be remembered 100 years hence, but I suppose you could do worse than have your photo prominently displayed at a good restaurant in a seaside town. :)

The head chef is a fellow named Adam Loo, and he's created an excellent menu - both for lunch and dinner. You'll enjoy a meal here anytime.

Favorite Dish: We all had the house speciality, the "fish and chips". Fish and chips here - in this restaurant and in this part of the world - means fresh fried haddock and hot french fries, made (OF COURSE) from Prince Edward Island potatoes. PEI residents are mighty proud of their spuds, they so in many different venues and at any opportunity. OK, I'm no potato gourmet, but the PEI chips were excellent.

For dessert, we had one of Bonnie's favorites, homemade bread pudding.

As for the rest of the menu, the lunch card featured quite a few starters - chowders, various salads and a few seafood choices. The mussels steamed in curry coconut milk sounded good.

For mains, fish and chips are a feature. They're $8.95 with one BIG piece of fish, $11.95 with 2 and $15.95. Unless you are a pro football linebacker, you'll never eat more than two. They also feature crab legs, clams and scallops.

The dinner menu has a couple of killer seafood platters, as well as choice steaks. If I were there for dinner, I might have tried their Snow Crab, Lobster, Scallops, Mussels, and Halibut platter.

I'm sure that anything you order here will be excellent - and fresh.

Clamdiggers Restaurant in Georgetown, PEI There's the sign!

Instant Answers: Georgetown

Comments

Georgetown Travel Guide
Map of Georgetown