Morell Travel Guide

Morell Things to Do

The beach

by fairy_dust Updated Jun 22, 2015

The beaches in the area are very beautiful, and since they're not part of the national park, they're not full of tourists. They're mostly private beaches in areas with a lot of cottages. However, be aware that there are no lifeguards around, and stay away from the piping plover nesting areas (this bird is an endangered species, and even just standing around and/or sunbathing in those areas can have an effect on their survival).

• planxty's Profile Photo

Yet another shining light.

by planxty Written Dec 28, 2014

I have mentioned in various other pages and tips about the almost iconic position lighthouses hold in the Maritime Provinces of Canada. They are like an unofficial logo for the Provinces in this area and obviously hold a place close to the hearts of the people from this region. I suppose the fact that this lighthouse is situated on what is called in English Shipwreck Point and is situated adjacent to Naufrage Harbour (naufrage being French for shipwreck) really should tell the reader all they need to know about the need for a light here. Waters here are really treacherous and many a mariner has been "deep sixed" not so far off the shore here.

We had visited many lighthouses all over the region (and were to visit many more) and this one seemed to fall into a very standard category for the lights in this region being octagonal in shape although this relatively modern (1968) structure is of concrete rather than the more traditional wooden construction. Where I come from, lighthouses are invariably round and so this was a bit of a departure for me much as I admired the architectural style of many of them.

Being a working light, you cannot enter the building to see how it guards mariners but a quick look along the coastline in either direction (see the image) reminded me of exactly how powerful the sea really is. The former handrail from the clifftop path, discarded like a child's toy halfway down the cliff face was reminder, if any were needed, of exactly what a force it can be. If it can wreak this havoc on land, think what it must be like for sailors upon it and be grateful there are places like this.

Like the myriad lighthouses in the Maritime Provinces, this one is well worth a look. Apart from the light itself, the views are superb and I am so glad we made the small detour.

I regret and apologise for the fact that I cannot find a correct postal address or website for the place but if you follow the signs for the Naufrage Harbour, you won't miss it, believe me.

Lighthouse, Shipwreck Point, Canada. View, Lighthouse, Shipwreck Point, Canada. View, Lighthouse, Shipwreck Point, Canada. Road to Lighthouse, Shipwreck Point, Canada.
    • Photography

• planxty's Profile Photo

A fine little cafe.

by planxty Written Dec 28, 2014

We had come a little off the main highway to visit the lighthouse at Shipwreck Point which should give you some idea as to why a lighthouse was required at all!

Having done our touristy bit and taken the obligatory images (see separate tip on this page) we decided to adjourn to the Shipwreck Point Cafe. On entering I was surprised by a) how "posh" it was, with a bar and everything and b) how full it was. Obviously this place gets a good local reputation and it was to turn out to be well deserved. The first order of the day was obviously the drinks menu for me and they did not have draught beer so a bottle of Alpine was called for. I had never had the brew but it was a perfectly passable if unexciting brew and certainly hit the spot after a bit of walking.

Really we only wanted a snack and I generally do not eat in the hours of daylight anyway (strange I know but that is how it is) but my travelling companion persuaded me to have something so I opted for a simple cheeseburger which was well cooked and presented so no complaints there. I am not sure exactly how it was described on the menu but my friend had what I would have described as a medley of vegetables done in a tempura style i.e. a very light batter and quickly deep fried, served with a dipping sauce. I had a couple of pieces and they were delightful. My friend was well pleased with it.

The service throughout was friendly and efficient and I got the impression this was very much a family run operation.With a stunning outlook over Naufrage Harbour, good service, great food, what else could you want?

Shipwreck Point Cafe, near Morell, Canada. Shipwreck Point Cafe, near Morell, Canada. Shipwreck Point Cafe, near Morell, Canada. Shipwreck Point Cafe, near Morell, Canada. Shipwreck Point Cafe, near Morell, Canada.
    • Beer Tasting

Morell Nightlife

This area is quiet

by fairy_dust Updated Jun 28, 2015

No nightlife of any kind around this area. Unless you consider a campfire and ghost stories to be nightlife! After all, night time in the countryside is the perfect setting to tell each other scary stories about things that go bump in the night...

Morell Warnings and Dangers

Beach safety

by fairy_dust Written Aug 10, 2006

If you go swimming at the beach, watch out for jellyfish! Also, there aren't any lifeguards so don't go out too far and watch out for the undertow.

Also, don't go swimming at night, the current is too strong and I've heard there are sharks.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Endangered species - do not disturb

by fairy_dust Written Jul 27, 2006

If you see any area at the beach with a rope around it and a sign telling you not to trespass, obey it. Don't try to sneak past it, because those areas are nesting grounds for piping plovers - a bird which is an endangered species. Having disturbances disrupts their environment and could affect their population even if all you do is walk too close (when they feel threatened, they sit perfectly still for hours to hide - this prevents them from searching for food or returning to their nests to sit on their eggs).

If you're planning on playing beach volleyball or any other sport on the beach, do it far away from the roped-off areas. My friends and I played beach volleyball too close to a nesting area, and the ball ended up in the ropes a few times (which meant that someone had to cross the rope to get it back).

• Eco-Tourism
    • Birdwatching

• Morell Hotels

0 Hotels in Morell

Morell Sports & Outdoors

Beach sports

by fairy_dust Written Jul 27, 2006

If you like beach activities, this is a good spot to be. The beaches aren't crowded like Brackley, Cavendish, and other touristy ones. It's a good place for swimming,beach volleyball, soccer, etc. Just be careful not to trespass into the areas reserved for the piping plovers (endangered species).

Equipment: Volleyball net and ball, soccer ball, swimsuits, or whatever else you use for the beach sports you enjoy.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Morell

Comments

Morell Travel Guide
Map of Morell