Prince Edward Island National Park, Prince Edward Island

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 6 Reviews

Thinking about P.E.I. NP ;)
    by King_Golo
    The beach at Prince Edward Island
    by sim1
    The campsite
    by sim1
  • King_Golo's Profile Photo

Small, but nice

by King_Golo Written Nov 6, 2007

Thinking about P.E.I. NP ;)

Prince Edward Island NP is probably one of the smallest national parks in Canada. It was also one, if not the first national park of the country. Founded in 1937, the park protects a strip of P.E.I.'s north shore. To me, it looked pretty much like other parts of the beach / shore, but apparently the dunes and plants are worth being protected.
    It's a nice place to hang out and watch the sunset after a long day of driving.

• National/State Park
    • Beaches

Strolling on the beach

by sim1 Updated Feb 1, 2005

The beach at Prince Edward Island

Okay, lets get back onto the beach and walk a bit more along the coastline. Can you hear the sea and feel the wind blowing through your hair?

I enjoyed this part of my visit to P.E.I., having a leisurely stroll along the beach. This beach is actually part of P.E.I. National Park and was close to my campsite (see accommodations).

It was a real strange experience to go to this National Park. Usually they are located in very quiet and secluded places, but not this one! When you go to this park you have to go through one big area with tourist industry, really busy! The park itself is very quiet though. It is a small and long area, which includes the beaches and the cliffs on the north side of the island. You can find more information about the National Park on this website :

Mosquito's!

Musquito's

I don't think you are bothered too much on this island by mosquito's, except when you camp in the woods in Prince Edward Island National Park!!! I parked my car at my campsite, opened the doors and there they were..... waiting for me!!!

You could hear them zooming... I think they were zooming cheerfully 'lunch! lunch! lunch!'... And I have the strong suspicion that they were refering to me!!! Hahaha. So I got out of the car, and ran for the insect repellant. That did help a bit, but I could still see those mosquito eyes staring at me..... and hear them think.... beware if that repellant wears off, then I consider you my dinner! Hahaha, so I took some drastic measures and went out for dinner myself, so they wouldn't eat me alive at the campsite :-)

Camping

The campsite

This is the camping in Prince Edward Island National Park. I expected to be fully booked, they indicate that you should make reservations in advance. But I didn't have any problems at all getting a spot, in fact it was quite empty! But I think to make sure you better make those reservations. But before you do I have to warn you for the mosquitos! (see my warnings and dangers). There are two types of places, in the wooded area, like I did, or an open site (some of them are right on the beach).

There are lots of types of accomodations on this island, hotels, motels, bed and breakfast, whatever you would like. The whole island is focused on tourism so finding a place to stay the night shouldn't be a problem.

A walk on the beach on Prince Edward Island

A walk on the beach on Prince Edward Island

When I developed my pictures and looked at this one of me walking on the beach, it was like I was back in Prince Edward Island for a moment.....

It was a chilly afternoon, there weren't a lot of people on the beach. The wind was blowing salty sea air into my face, and the sun was nice and warm. It had been a while since I had seen some sunshine, so walking on the beach in the sun was soooo relaxing.

So why don't you join me on my walk? I can tell you a bit more about Prince Edward Island while we stroll together along the beach.....

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Prince Edward Island National Park

by Cabana_Boy Written Feb 25, 2003

Cabana Boy with his ride in PEI Natl Park

A great way to see the green fields and red sand coastline of Prince Edward Island is by bike. The PEI National Park has several nice, easy trails to ride that leads through open fields and along open vistas of beaches. The best thing is there may not be a building or person is sight, just some abandoned 19th century farm equipment being reclaimed by the land it once plowed.

Another option for bikers is to take to the open roads. Although it's a small island, PEI is covered with roads (some not paved) crisscrossing between all the little towns. This gives bikers a limitless choice of options for planning a ride. Throw in a lot of Provincial Parks with great camping facilities and one of the traditional church sponsored lobster suppers and you have an excellent PEI experience.

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Prince Edward Island

Comments

Hotels Near Prince Edward Island National Park
4.5 out of 5 stars