Rural Settings, Prince Edward Island

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The PERFECT idyllic little village

by 850prc Written Dec 1, 2009

Victoria-by-the-Sea, PEI - the town pier

If you've chosen to visit Prince Edward Island, you probably enjoy the quite style, the gentle way of the place. You're probably the type to enjoy the timeless nature of a small seaside town, tiny shops and friendly locals.

We found the perfect place, Victoria-by-the-Sea. I highly suggest that you spend some time in this beautiful and peaceful village, you won't regret it for a moment. It's a place to blend into the gentle life that IS Prince Edward Island. There are excellent little restaurants, a couple of small historic bed and breakfasts, and there's even a community theater troupe that's known all over Canada for their productions. Bookstores, art shops, a tiny town pier. Doesn't this sound great? It's far better than I'm making it sound, honest.

Please see my Victoria-by-the-Sea page here on VT for more info...lots of photos and stories about this very special place. Also, the town's website is listed down below.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Leave the highways, drive the byways!

by King_Golo Written Oct 22, 2007

In North Rustico Harbour

The reason why P.E.I. is so appealing is its unique landscape. Leaving the highways and driving on on the small and narrow country roads will provide you with excellent views of the magnificent landscape.
    Here are some possibilities:

*the roads to Cabot Beach Provincial Park - straight roads through fields and meadows, passing little villages and now and then a charming church, often beautiful vistas on coves and beaches are possible

*any one road leading to a lighthouse - check your map thoroughly and you'll see that there are numerous lighthouses on P.E.I., most of which are nice places to stop at for a picture. Moreover, you'll usually even have to leave the byways in order to reach them, so this may give you some really off-the-beaten-path views of P.E.I.

*the area around the Rusticos, a chain of 5 villages - rather hilly and blessed with a rugged coastline and picturesque villages

*the hinterland - away from the coast, P.E.I.'s coast sometimes reminded me of English hills and dales and sometimes of wide Baltic lands. In any case something that you really shouldn't miss

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Country scenes

by fairy_dust Updated Aug 30, 2006

If you're road-tripping around PEI, you'll love the landscapes in the countryside. It's a rural province, which means lots of farmland, wild flowers, hills, lakes/rivers, and open spaces. You'll also see cute little country churches, dirt roads, old-fashioned farmhouses, and farm animals (mostly cows, horses, and sheep) in pasture. Rural PEI is the country lover's paradise.

• Eco-Tourism

Old houses

Old house

Maybe not a typical image of the island, but something I enjoy seeing. Maybe you will think : What is so special about an old house that no one wants to live in anymore..... Well, I think it has lots of character and enjoy seeing them.

The countryside

I had no idea what to expect to find on PEI, because I didn't plan to go here. But this was a pleasant surprise : lovely hills, covered with fields full of flowers and beautiful farmhouses in the distance.

Just a mailbox :-)

by sim1 Updated Jan 31, 2005

Just a Mailbox :-)

I just couldn't resist putting this picture of the mailbox on this page. I saw this mailbox on P.E.I., I have no clue where exactly, but I think this mailbox is so hilarious! If you like this funny mailboxes just as much as I do, you should take a look at my North America page. I have a travelogue filled with these funny mailboxes, you can see them on my North America page.

Typical Prince Edward Island

by sim1 Updated Jan 31, 2005

red soil and potatoes

Prince Edward Island is the island of the red soil and potatoes. Well, you can see both of that in this picture. I expected to see an island just full of potato fields, but that wasn't the case. Actually I only saw a couple of these potato fields, I found that very surprising.

More of the countryside

The countryside

Just another image to give you an idea what you can expect to see when you tour around on PEI. This picture was taken in the south of the island.

Instant Answers: Prince Edward Island

Comments

View all Prince Edward Island hotels