Tyne Valley Travel Guide

Tyne Valley Things to Do

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Written Jan 24, 2015

I mentioned in my introductory page to Tyne Valley that we had merely stopped here as my companion was feeling tired from driving and very wisely decided she needed a small doze in order to drive on safely. Well, I was not tired (having done nothing as usual) and so I took myself off to explore the place which took all of about five minutes, it really is not big.

My main objective was the Landing Oyster Bar and Pub that I had spotted on the way in. It being a weekday early afternoon I was not too surprised to find myself the only customer in the place and so I took my accustomed position at the bar. At least that way you can have a conversation with the staff rather than to sit at a table by yourself and look at the walls (delightful as they were, it really is a gorgeous old building) and ordered myself a pint from the very decent selection on offer. It was well-kept and served with the usual dose of Maritime hospitality and enquiry as to my rather strong Northern Irish accent.

Savouring my pint I had a look round the place and noticed that it was obviously set up for music as there were a few bits and pieces lying in the corner (mike stands etc.) as well as a rather well-used mandolin hanging on the wall. Upon enquiry I was told they have regular music in the place at weekends. Although I was not eating, I had a quick look at the menu which is not large but has some interesting looking things there with the star of the show being the oysters as the name of the place would suggest. As it happened my "new best friend" Josh, one of the members of staff, was "shucking" oysters behind the bar and happily acceded to my request to film him doing so. I'd probably have to pay a small fortune for the privelege of learning that skill in a London restaurant and I thought it was really nice of him. I have included the video on this page and, if you watch right to the end, Josh even has a message for VT members!

All too soon it was time to leave (having sampled several of the excellent brews on offer) as I was under orders to wake my companion at a certain time. Lovely as it would have been to stay there all evening the road, as always, was calling and we had to move on. Bidding a fond farewell to my new-found friends (it is remarkably easy to make friends in this part of the world) I took my leave, mentally adding yet another wonderful hostelry to my ever-growing collection on that trip.

An excellent pub and recommended.

Landing Pub, Tyne Valley, Canada. Landing Pub, Tyne Valley, Canada. Landing Pub, Tyne Valley, Canada. Landing Pub, Tyne Valley, Canada.
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Tyne Valley Hotels

Tyne Valley Restaurants

• by surf_grrl Updated Jan 11, 2007

The Landing is a pub/restaurant in a cozy historic building. It features local seafood (mussels, clams, oysters, fish & chips) cooked simply and well. Aside from the gorgeous interior and the very friendly (if sometimes unpolished) service, one of its great attractions is the live music on weekend evenings. There is also very good beer on tap.

Update summer 2006: The Landing is currently closed and for sale - a shame, because it was a great venue.

Favorite Dish: Anything, with a pint of beer, and some plucking and strumming going on.

• Music
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Tyne Valley

Comments

Tyne Valley Travel Guide
Map of Tyne Valley