Banff /Banff Avenue, Banff

Banff Alberta

Know about this? Rate It!

view from Hotel back to Surprise Corner
    from Surprise Corner viewing hotel
    woods behind Surprise Corner
  • Hays37's Profile Photo

I'm old too ;)

by Hays37 Written Aug 7, 2012

Favorite thing: I'm going in October and I'll just be turning 27. If it does turn out to be 'very young' we can go and buy a pipe and a pair of slippers and be old gits together lol.
    I do undstand where you're coming from though as the maturity difference between 18 and 25 is paramount but I'm hoping there'll be a nice mixture :)

• Work Abroad
    • Seniors

• blush's Profile Photo

What to see in Banff??

by blush Written May 31, 2008

from Surprise Corner viewing hotel

Favorite thing: I drove from Calgary to Banff last August, and I have a couple tips for you. One thing I wasn't aware of prior to my trip - - Banff is a town within the boundaries of the National Park. Just past Canmore is the entrance to the Park, where you pay a daily fee for entrance. Since I was going to be there four days, I paid at that time for 4 days fees. (I think it was approximately $9 per day)

My first full day in Banff, I took two half day bus tours - - - to get a feel for the area and see where I would want to explore more on my own. The morning tour was the Banff area, the Hot Springs, Lake Minnewanka, and various points where you could stop and get good photos of the scenery.

Since I was doing the two tours, the tour company provided a complimentary lunch at the Spaghetti Factory - - and it was a FULL lunch, including dessert. Probably worth $15-20

The afternoon tour was to Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, which were about an hour north of Banff. At each of those stops, they dropped us off and said to be back at the bus in about an hour - - so we could explore a little on our own. The parking lots were so full, I was glad that the bus dropped us off (and I didn't have to seek a parking space).

So my second day, I took the Banff Gondola up to the mountaintop. From there, you could walk a boardwalk up to the next mountain and get some wonderful views.

My third day was totally on my own, based on what I had seen from the tours.

I didn't have the time to get up to Jasper. I wished I had more time in the Banff area.

Enjoy your trip!

Fondest memory: I have several fond memories of Banff.

One is the visitor lookout spot called "Surprise Corner". You walk up about 30 steps to a wooden deck area that's probably about 50 feet square, with built in benches around 2 sides. From the one side is the wonderful view of the huge Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. I was introduced to this spot from the bus tour I had taken.

A couple days later, I returned to Surprise Corner, with my camera and a book. I took some photos, and then sat on the bench reading for a couple hours. Totally relaxing, peaceful.

What was funny was that maybe every 20-30 minutes or so, a tour bus would come by - - a bunch of people would come up to the deck, ooh and aah and snap a bunch of photos, and then go back to their bus.

But I stayed, and enjoyed the peace between those tourist groups.

• Spa and Resort

• blush's Profile Photo

What to see in Banff??

by blush Written May 31, 2008

My third day was totally on my own, based on what I had seen from the tours.

Enjoy your trip!

Fondest memory: I have several fond memories of Banff.

but I stayed, and enjoyed the peace between those tourist groups.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

My first visit to Banff

by Carmanah Written May 10, 2008

Favorite thing: We stayed in Banff for a couple of nights back in the summer of 1993. We had arrived from Revelstoke and were on our way Calgary. It was two weeks before I started my first year of high school and my yellow Sony Walkman was tuned into U2's latest album, Zooropa. Those were the times.

My fading memories of Banff include walking around exploring souvenir shops selling mostly Canadiana items that were totally unrelated to Banff, like maple syrup or Anne of Green Gables dolls. I also remember stepping into a gift shop that only sold native-inspired clothing and gifts like moccasins, little Indian dolls, and fringe leather jackets. I vividly remember the smell of smoked leather. And then there were the shops displaying Japanese signs and tourism literature everywhere. Evidently, the Japanese played a large role in Banff's tourism market at the time. I wonder if it's still like that?

I've been meaning to go back to Banff, but I haven't got around to it. I know I'll get back there in the near future... it's just a matter of money and time.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Ferret In Central Park, Banff

by Mikebb Written Oct 24, 2007

Owner With Pet Ferret

Favorite thing: Walking through Central Park alongside the Bow River we came across a ferret running along the lawn. Then we saw a young man some distance away call the ferret and it immediately returned . We watched for 3 or 4 minutes as he played with the animal, it crawled all over him.

The park is located at the end of Banff Ave alongside the Bow River and is a great place to relax, walk along the riverfront or have lunch.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Banff Ave Under Repair, Will Soon Blossom

by Mikebb Written Oct 6, 2007

Banff Ave Under Reconstruction, Town Centre

Favorite thing: Banff Ave is always a busy place during the tourist season, this is where the majority of the fashion and jeweller shops are located, restaurants and bars abound and it is the ideal place to have a coffee and watch the world go by.

When we visited mid June, 2007 the main street was being torn apart as the road was being reconstructed and a street beautification plan being implemented. Driving along or crossing the main street was certainly difficult and somewhat dangerous, however the end result will benefit both tourists and local people. The work is expected to be completed late 2007.

• Seniors

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Banff Avenue

by Blatherwick Written May 13, 2006
    Banff Avenue

Favorite thing: Cascade Mountain dominates the main street in Banff known as Banff Avenue. There is plenty to do along the street with tons of restaurants, pubs and shopping. As you walk down the street you can take in the views of the surrounding mountains. Spectacular!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CASCADE MOUNTAIN

by LoriPori Written Apr 7, 2005

Cascade Mountain

Favorite thing: Obviously the most dramatic feature of Banff is the wonderful views of CASCADE MOUNTAIN.
    The name of this landmark peak was given by James Hector in a translation of the Native name meaning "mountain where the water falls" referring to the cascade on its southeastern face.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Information on Banff National Park is everywhere.

by Waalewiener Written Jun 19, 2003

Information on Banff National Park.

Favorite thing: There is information on the Banff National Park just about everywhere ,and here is some information on ,or near Banff Avenue
    about close to the bridge.near the Museum Building that is close for renovations.
    The information is all about what this great Park has to offer.

• Sakura_Kobe's Profile Photo

Upper Hot Spring

by Sakura_Kobe Written Feb 1, 2004

Upper Hot Spring

Favorite thing: My husband wanted to soak in the Upper Hot Spring. So I joined him. I don't like this place very much because there was no view and too crowed.

Instant Answers: Banff