Places to eat in Banff

by CndnSugarPlum

Most Viewed Restaurants in Banff

• The Magpie and Stump: Don't Eat Here- FOOD POISONING

by tmf1 Written Jan 9, 2012

My brother was visiting me and my boyfriend from Victoria for three days and got a bad case of food poisoning from this restaurant. After a day of riding we went in to the Magpie and Stump hoping for a good meal. He ordered the chicken enchiladas and within 4 hours he was violently ill. We had all eaten the same things that day as we had spent the day together, and my boyfriend and I were fine.
    The food was over priced, luke warm, and disappointing. We ordered Sangria, and I'm pretty sure it was out of a box.
    Service was average. Had to wait quite a while for drinks and payment even though there were only two other tables in the restaurant.
    I called the restaurant to report this case of food poisoning, and the way my complaint was handled only fuelled my disappointment in the restaurant. I was told that it was the "spices" they use which might have disagreed with him...??? Also, that because we were the only complaint it probably wasn't them. Overall, the General Manager couldn't care less about my brother’s health and his indifference and defensiveness towards the issue only proves that he has had many of these complaints in the past.
    Do not ever eat here.

Favorite Dish: Wouldn't even risk ordering food from here.

• Chris_Louise's Profile Photo

St James Gate Irish Pub: Food With The Biggest Selection Of Beer In Banff

by Chris_Louise Updated Apr 4, 2011

Okay, so we didnt have dinner here while in Banff but we can rate the place on everything but the food.

Its a gorgeous looking old irish pub. The atmosphere is what you would expect from a place like this. Everyone is friendly and we can say that the food LOOKED great.

The main reason to go is the beer selection. They have a huge list of beers to choose from. A lot of them we had never heard of. We sampled a lot of them. And by sample we mean pints. You can actually have free small samples before you buy which is a really nice touch.

The website only shows a few beers but we are certain they have heaps and heaps.

• Restaurant atop Sulphur Mountain: Prime Rib and a view you can't beat!

by brfnp Updated Aug 4, 2010

The "Alpine Lights" dinner atop Sulphur Mountain is well worth the cost. You can take the gondola up, walk around the viewpoints, then have an excellent dinner in the restaurant on top of Sulphur Mountain. Great prime rib, side dishes and salad. All for $47 Cdn. Half of that cost is the gondola ride up and down the mountain. You need to pay for drinks and dessert but we LOVED the view from up there. Just like on the postcards. Can sign up on-line or by phone.

Favorite Dish: Prime Rib - juicy, tender.

• Hiking and Walking

• Wild Flour: Best Coffee and pastries in town!

by brfnp Updated Aug 4, 2010

We always stopped for coffee at Wild Flour when we were in town. Great coffee, wonderful brownies, healthy sandwiches. Service is not very fast but, as they say on a sign near the register, "We are worth it." Didn't have chance to try any of their homemade breads but they looked good too.

Art work is eclectic. Would definiteColy go there again.

Favorite Dish: Coffees, brownies, sandwiches

• balhannah's Profile Photo

LODGE OF 10 PEAKS: BUFFET LUNCH

by balhannah Updated Jan 10, 2010

The Lodge of 10 Peaks is where the Lake Louise Gondola is located.

You can either buy just a Gondola ticket ....or.....

a 'RIDE & DINE' which is what we bought.

It included the gondola and the buffet lunch at the Lodge, and we thought it was good value, and we couldn't complain about the food either, nice!

BUFFET LUNCH IS .........
    Daily - Main Level of the Lodge of Ten Peaks
    11:30 am - 2:30 pm

WHAT YOU GET AT THE BUFFET..................
    2 Soups, 4 Assorted Salads, Vegetable Platter, Relish Platter, 5 Hot Dishes, 1 Meat,
    1 Fish, 1 Chicken, Mashed Potato, Vegetarian Option, Fruit & Assorted Squares
    Coffee, tea, iced tea or lemonade.............

All other beverages additional

PRICES FOR RIDE & DINE....... Lunch .. Adult $32.25
    Child(6-15) $18.50.................5 and under.... $3.95

• 5% GST additional

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

The Bison Restaurant & Lounge.: Great for a week-end brunch.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Written May 18, 2009

We came across The Bison when wandering around Banff on a Sunday morning looking for somewhere to have breakfast. There was a big queue at Melissa's and everywhere was busy. The Bison was fairly busy but they managed to get us a table. The service was very friendly but it did take a while for the food to appear which could be a problem if you were in more of a hurry than we were. A varied brunch menu is available between 10 and 4 on a Saturday & Sunday. Everything sampled was good including, egg & bacon, omelette but my french toast was a work of art ( see picture ) and tasted delicious.

Lots of info and pics are on their website.

Definitely worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: Tricky Dicky rating 7.5 / 10.

French toast at The Bison Restaurant & Lounge. The Bison Restaurant & Lounge. The Bison Restaurant & Lounge. Roy Boy at The Bison Restaurant & Lounge.

The Elk and Oarsman Pub & Grill: Delicious

by Karlie85 Written Feb 5, 2009

We'd been to the Elk a couple of times to have drinks at night and decided to stop in on a Saturday afternoon for a late lunch. The reason we decided to go for lunch there was because we were there the previous night for drinks and everyone's food looked so good! The restaurant is huge with high ceilings and, much like most restaurants in Banff, wood. Wood floors, wood beams, etc. Lots of pictures of old Banff on the walls, the town, the mountains, skiing. None of this is done in a cheesy way, it's comfortable, and even though it's a big place, cozy. There is a big fireplace and TVs throughout that are generally on sports. Our waitress was pleasant and efficient.

The menu has a lot more to offer than your standard pub food. It is a well put together menu with a good variety for everyone. Salads,
    burgers, pizza, steaks, but all done in a creative, delicious way. There are several Albertan choices using elk or bison. I couldn't decide between the Rocky Mountain Elk Burger ($14 CDN) and the Salmon Pomegranate Greens ($14 CDN). My husband got the Grilled Lamb Naan ($13), I got the burger and we shared the salad. Our main dishes came with a choice of two sides, which I thought was nice. We both got the sweet potato fries and a different soup (chicken tortellini and roasted garlic tomato). I was actually blown away by how good every single thing we got was. Everything was perfect.

Banff is full of overpriced restaurants with small portions, and the Elk and Oarsman is exactly the opposite. Good portions sizes, not too big but just enough to satisfy, and reasonably priced. You must go here while in Banff.

Bruno's Bar & Grill: Relaxing atmosphere, all day breakfast

by Karlie85 Updated Feb 2, 2009

Bruno's is one of my favorite places in Banff and home to the best breakfast in town. Named after local legend, photographer and mountaineer Bruno Engler, the cozy restaurant/pub features photos of Bruno and his work on the dark walls. Bruno's is one of the few places in Banff that doesn't feel like it's trying to appeal to tourists, but is rather it's own laid back self. There always seems to be a good mix of locals and tourists. The atmosphere is comfortable with wooden walls, a fireplace, bar and a pool table. It is open from 7am - 2am, but I have only ever been here during the day. Breakfast is served until 5pm and offers omelettes, bagels, French toast, bacon, sausages and more. I quite enjoy the Sunrise bagel, which is a bagel topped with an egg, bacon, cheese, lettuce and tomato. The only thing Bruno's is missing for breakfast is pancakes! They have a nice, creative selection of hamburgers, pizza and pub food. As the evening rolls on Bruno's becomes more of a bar, but I have yet to go there at night. No matter what time of day, I strongly suggest paying Bruno's a visit while you're in Banff.

They also have a computer with internet access for $1 for 10 minutes, $2 for 20 minutes.

• Xspecht's Profile Photo

Saltlik: A Rare Steakhouse: Great Place to Eat and Hang Out!

by Xspecht Written Oct 9, 2008

The restaurant is wide open, with a high ceiling, and is spacious even though the physical size of it isn't huge. It is a very warm atmosphere and oozes elegance, although it does preserve the Rockies flavor.

Favorite Dish: I had the prime rib and it was one of the best that I have ever eaten, not to mention that the French onion soup was outstanding! My wife enjoyed her meal as well (she had chicken).

• Business Travel

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Melissa's Missteak: Great Breakfast

by 807Wheaton Updated Sep 12, 2008

Melissa's is a busy place for breakfast. We got there at 8:21 and didn't have to wait for a table. We ordered I Combo Omlet with a side order of hashbrowns and one coffee. We split the food and they did not charge us for an extra plate. There was plenty for both of us.
    The total bill was $15.70 + the tip.
    Of course when this showed up on our AMEX, it was about a dollar less because of the exchange rate right now.
    I would definitely recommend Melissa's for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: We thought the hash browns were great - they were fried red skin potatoes.

Melissa's
    • Seniors

Jack Pine Bistro & Lodge: Don't bother

by Karlie85 Written Aug 19, 2008

We probably would have not gone to this restaurant if it weren't for
    it's listing in the Canadian Rockies Where guide. It's not in the main
    few blocks of Banff Ave where the majority of shops and restaurants are,
    but in a hotel near the beginning of the Ave. The ad did a really good
    job of making this restaurant sound appealing, making the food sound
    delicious and describing a view of a "lovely wooded area". The ad also
    said it was 3 blocks from downtown, when in fact it is at least a 15
    minute walk.

We got there around 6pm, a normal dinner time. There was nobody else
    there. Nobody else came except for one other couple. A few people looked
    at the menu posted outside and then left. The waiter kept making jokes
    about "beating the rush". As time went on, it seemed weird that nobody
    was showing up. Even though we were the only ones there most of the
    time, it seemed like they really rushed to get our food out to us.
    Almost as soon as we took our last bite, he asked if it was "ok to bring
    you your bill now". It's not like there were people waiting to get in!

As for the food, I ordered a citrus encrusted salmon with mashed
    potatoes and veggies, and Dave ordered pasta with bison meat balls. My
    salmon was nothing spectacular, and it was a bit overly crusted. All I
    could taste was pepper. I couldn't even taste any citrus. The potatoes
    were bland and the carrots weren't quite cooked enough. The bison was
    good, but the sauce tasted like it came from a can. The starter salad we
    had was $8, tiny, and the dressing was Italian dressing from a bottle.
    When I go to any restaurant, I expect more than just salad dressing from
    a bottle. By Banff standards, the price was average, but for what we
    got, it was overpriced.

Oh yes, and the "wooded area" was a playground surrounded by a chain
    link fence right outside the hotel.

There was nothing great about this restaurant and it was a bit
    disappointing. I would probably not go here again and go somewhere
    better a few blocks down the street, where you're getting what you pay
    for.

Empty...

• St James Gate: Pub atmosphere, great beer & food

by bchiker Written Mar 24, 2008

Authentic Irish Pub with 30+ beers on tap, including very good Guinness. Pub style food at reasonable prices - fish & chips, steak pie, Irish stew etc. Good atmosphere - Irish music or some live music at night.

Favorite Dish: Fish & Chips - big piece of fish (halibut) with light batter - a reminder of England!

• Mountain Climbing

• finkycake's Profile Photo

Masala: So Disappointing

by finkycake Written Oct 5, 2007

My boyfriend and I love Indian food and are regular customers at our local restaurant. We always try new restaurants when we travel and so were looking forward to dinner at Masala. When we arrived we stood at the door for a few minutes, waitresses giving us passing glances as they walked by and were finally seated by a guy behind the bar after he had also looked at us awkwardly few times. After sitting down it was 10 minutes or so before anyone brought us a menu. They took our order and brought our food fairly quickly but the waitresses seemed for interested in messing around and chatting than in their customers. We ordered Butter Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala and Garlic Naan. The Naan bread was very cripsy, nothing like any naan I've had before and the chicken tikka masala had barely any sauce. There was also far more vegetables with it than chicken. The butter chicken was really disappointing - it was all dark meat and I had to pick bits of fat and gristle off every piece before eating it. The tikka masala was very similar though had a few breast pieces. In the end I poured the butter chicken sauce on the rice, ate it and dipped the naan in it, fed up of picking at my chicken.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Wild Flour Bakery: Organic Food At Its Best

by Mikebb Written Oct 5, 2007

This bakery with dining facilities is extremely popular and when we visited we had trouble finding a vacant table in the large dining area. There is also an alfresco area, however on the day we visited there was light rain.

You line up to get served, but it is well worth the wait. The food is organic , a wide selection of hot and cold meals ranging from fresh salads, sandwiches and rolls to pies and pasties. Also available is a great selection of cold meats and we chose toasted Italian Meats sandwiches and Pierrier water. Sandwiches cost $6.50 each.

We recommend you try this bakery, it is the only traditional bakery in Banff.

Wild Flour Bakery

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Natur'el Tearoom: Nice Atmosphere, Quality Infusion Tea

by Mikebb Updated Oct 5, 2007

It is unusual to find a tearoom like this, located at the front of a shop which sells a variety of ornaments, pottery, giftware, herbs etc etc. The tables are set up so you can view the activity on Banff Ave as the tourists walk by. We had the widow seat with an excellent view , but it also meant that many people stopped to "window shop" and see what we were lunching on. When we entered the tearoom we were the only patrons, 15 minutes later all tables were taken.

The menu was limited but interesting and we both chose toasted sandwiches, infusion tea, a nice variety to choose from, and finished with cupcakes. It was an enjoyable lunch , the bonus being my wife enjoyed browsing through the shop whilst I continued to watch the world pass by. Coffe and other drinks are available. Cost for 2, $25.

Natur'el Tearooms

The Fox Hotel & Suites
Brewster's Mountain Lodge
Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Instant Answers: Banff

Comments

Banff Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Banff locals.
Map of Banff