The Grizzly House, Banff

Main course
    by Karlie85

• The Grizzly House: worst experience anywhere in years

by grizzlyhousesucks Written Nov 9, 2014

If you want to spend 180 on dinner and sit beside obnoxious drunks then this is the place for you. We complained to the waiter because we were being harrassed who really didn't care. Never done it before but filed a complaint with ALGC about extreme over serving. Run away from the crap service. Food was ok at best. Worst restaurant experience I can ever remember.

• bri4444's Profile Photo

Grizzley House: Fondue

by bri4444 Written Sep 2, 2013

I think that the ole Griz is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere period. Not only do you get to try all sorts of exotic meats, you get to cook it as well. While there is a full menu of different dish's that you can try, if your going to the Grizzly House the only way to go is with the full meal combo's.

Minimum Two Persons

Your meal starts with either a soup or salad with house dressing. The salad dressing had a little bite to it and I enjoyed it while for a dollar extra my date upgraded to French Onion soup (not sure what the soup of the day was) that she raved about. Was tempted to try the French Onion soup, but knowing that the appetizer is a cheese and wine based fondue decided against even more cheese. The other option for appetizer is a vegetable fondue that think have choice of oil or rock, however the cheese fondue is like a party in your mouth so have only had the vegetable fondue when in large group as other people went with that choice.

For your dinner choices have 6 options and can also order extra AL-a-carte items if you would like to try something special just to say you have or because still be hungry with normal portion. You get 6 oz's of meat for each of the meals except Exotic where you get 7 oz's. In order not to eat to much many many years ago would eat before (burger at McD's) went for dinner here just so didn't have a bill that was out of this world. I also normally order extra selections of meat so can try something different, however this last time had the exotic fondue and person with let me have the meat while she mostly just had the lobster of the steak and lobster and didn't have to much of the cheese fondue as was fairly full just from her soup. When ordering meal you have a choice of hot rock or oil fondue for ever pair. Ideally I like to go with at least 4 people so can have both. Personally like the hot rock the best but will do a little of oil fondue if have the option to do this as well.

Beef and Free Range Chicken
    Beef and Lobster
    Beef and Prawn
    Beef and Scallop
    Hunter Fondue Dinner Buffalo, Wild Boar and Venison
    Exotic Fondue Dinner Shark, Alligator, Rattlesnake, Ostrich, Frogs Legs, Buffalo and Venison.

When your meal arrives it will come in raw small bite size chunks on a very small plate for you to cook. The hot rock will need to be replaced at least once in my experience unless throw everything on at start. If go with oil fondue normally shouldn't have to adjust temp to much once got it dialed in. With your small plate with the meat comes a medium size plate with 5 sections of sauce that I forget which is which for most part along with which meat is which on other plate. The medium plate with the 5 section sauce in individual compartments has one large compartment that is left empty for you to stage your food on etc. I think it's the dipping sauces that make it for me as for the most part most of my expensive exotic fondue tastes like chicken except alligator. Alligator had a texture that was almost fishy and was very mild. Next time believe will actually order the Beef and Lobster as had a small taste of date's and thought dollar for dollar that might be one of the better choices for value and taste and a side of chicken.

To finish off your meal they bring a selection of fruit to dunk in melted Toblerone chocolate in a small pot suspended over a small candle. From what can remember we had some melon, strawberries, banana, and I think maybe pineapple. My mind is a little fuzzy as by this time had started second bottle of wine. I also think in past had grapes which this time we didn't.

For wine I asked for a reasonably priced Pineot Griego wine as found their wine selection to over whelming and the one ended up with wasn't even on menu. I enjoyed it thoroughly even though had a little bit fruitier of a body then normally would of liked. It was from Italy and other then that hope might recognize label have no idea what it is called so might have hard time finding it again.

According to the website the Restaurant started off as a Disco. Every table in the place has at least one phone at it so looks to me like it was a swingers bar slash disco. As part of liquor license had to serve food, originally the food was served through a hole in the wall from a Chinese restaurant. When the Chinese restaurant failed was when they brought in the fondues and like the website says "The fondue concept was an immediate success and has, unlike disco, withstood the test of time." I didn't see the map this time with all the tables listed for phone, I am not sure if it's on the menu or if our table was missing it this time. There was a large stagette at a table below our perched in the corner lofted above the rest of the restaurant by a couple of stairs table that had I had the map could of called table to congratulate the bride to be. The whole party was dressed in sailor caps with the bride to be having the captains cap..... I think a table close to them called them up and arranged to get a photo or two. That would of been something fun to do if had given it a try and the party left before had chance to ask waiter where our map was. The map have seen in the past lists the phone for the DJ and that the DJ only is in place for New Years dinner meals. I haven't been for a New Years dinner at the Grizzly house yet, but it is now on my bucket list.

Favorite Dish: I normally get the Hunter Fondue Dinner and then get a few oz's of Chicken and Beef on top of that. Think going to try to Beef and Lobster next time and get few oz's of Chicken on top of that.

• Wine Tasting

• eaglealan's Profile Photo

The Grizzly House: The Grizzly House: For Friends and Lovers

by eaglealan Written Dec 22, 2012

We give these comments to travelers and management. First, we need to mention that we travel frequently to high-end quality resorts and restaurants, and usually do research before we travel to new places. Moreover this was not our honeymoon, we have been married 41 years and gone to many places, so this is a fair and balanced assessment.

I know that the Grizzly House has had both positive and negative reviews. Yet, we would like all who read this review to forget about the negative ones. My wife and I had a wonderful time there, the atmosphere was like a cozy lodge, the service was great and the food was as expected in a fondue house. Yes, we consider this a terrific place for fondues (if you haven’t ever had them before). Some may visit the restaurant for other dishes like steak, but that’s not why you eat at Grizzlys, it’s the fondues. And the service? Well, we had just finished snowmobiling (my first time – three hours) and a long ride 2 ½ hour car ride in the snow back from Toby Creek BC. I was a little on the edgy side to say the least, yet the waiter was thoughtful and calmed me down by allowing us plenty of time to chose our dinner. Then he was polite and helpful as we shared experiences over the menu.

So as in many good restaurant, the food was very good, the atmosphere was terrific, yet it was the service that made the experience.

One suggestion: Take the word “hedionist” off the website and menu, the word “For Friends and Lovers” would be much better. Some may avoid the restaurant because of that term.

Favorite Dish: Complete Fondue Dinners
    Four Courses - Minimum Two Persons

Lovin Fondues
    • Adventure Travel

• Karlie85's Profile Photo

The Grizzly House: "For lovers and hedonists"

by Karlie85 Written Sep 23, 2008

The Grizzly house is almost as much of a Banff landmark as Cascade Mountain or the Upper Hot Springs. I've been to Banff several times and walked by this restaurant, so decided to check it out this last time, not exactly sure what to expect. We walked in to a restaurant much larger than it appears from the outside, walls dark and wooden, and bustling with people. We didn't have a reservation, but the waiter managed to get us in. There are telephones at every table and in the bathroom, so you can call from table to table if you choose. I thought this was really neat, even though I didn't try it out.

The restaurant has very interesting hand drawn place mats with cool saying throughout, which you can buy a laminated copy of for $1 )I did!), along with other Grizzly House merchandise to commemorate your visit, like t-shirts, hats and even underwear.

Our waitress was just awesome. She was super friendly and outgoing, very genuine and helpful. She explained everything in a great manner, came by often enough, and let us linger even though the restaurant was packed.

The Grizzly House is a little bit on the expensive side, but there are other restaurants in Banff at comparable prices, or higher, that don't quite have the full package that this restaurant does. Going for a meal at The Grizzly House is an experience, and one that everyone should try. I find it almost hard to describe, so check it out for yourself! Definitely worth it!

Reservations recommended.

Favorite Dish: The menu is varied and interesting, with some traditional options as well as their famed fondue. They offer everything from soups and salads, steak and escargot to different meat options for the fondue like beef, pork and chicken, to local fare like elk and buffalo, to more exotic fare like ostrich, shark, alligator and frog legs.

We ordered the Original Fondue Dinner (beef and chicken - $43.95) and the Hunter Fondue Dinner (buffalo, wild boar and venison - $52.95), which each come with a starter (soup or salad, we got one of each), and an appetizer of Bagna Cauda (vegetable fondue). The main course comes raw on a plate. You get an extremely hot rock with garlic butter and cook the pieces right on your table yourself. The meat is served with four different dipping sauces. Just make sure you don't use the same fork on the raw meat and cooked meat! The vegetable fondue was full of carrots, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and more in an incredibly delicious, buttery sauce.

From the outside Inside Vegetable fondue Main course

• klj&a's Profile Photo

The Grizzly House: Not For The Faint Of Heart!

by klj&a Written May 27, 2006

Our dinner consisted of shark, alligator, rattle snake, frog legs, ostrich, buffalo and venison!
    As you can see we were living on the edge. We can't get this stuff back home, so why not try it? No chicken or beef for us. Although we did see many people eating chicken and beef and it looked really good.

For the fondue dinners, you start out with a soup or salad. You're then given a basket of bread to dip in melted cheese. The main dish is brought out and you have your choice of cooking your meats in oil or on a hot rock with garlic butter. We would definitely recommend the hot rock. The dessert consists of fresh fruits to be dipped in melted cholocate.

Favorite Dish: Definitely try the Exotic Fondue Dinner. It's a little pricey, but was a once in a lifetime dinner.

• lohki's Profile Photo

The Grizzly House: A Must for Me!

by lohki Updated Jan 10, 2006

This has been my favorite restaurant all of my life. I'm told I was first brought here at the age of 3. Now that I’m slightly more grown up, my tab is considerably larger that it used to be!
    I usually sit at table 26, check the chart find your table and call from the `loo. All the tables have a phone.

Favorite Dish: I go "all out" and have the steak and lobster dinner. And ALWAYS with the house salad and cheese fondue to start, ALWAYS.
    I actually bought a cookbook on Banff Ave once simply because it had the salad dressing recipe from the Grizzly House.

A little dark in there.... lot's of noise

• The Grizzly House: Gotta try it

by kenv98223 Written Aug 24, 2005

If you like quirky, eclectic little restaurants, then this is the place for you. From the decor to the menu to the telephones on each table, you'll find yourself constantly chuckling and saying "hey, did you see this...".
    Like many Banff restaurants, dinner requires a reservation, but we simply walked in at lunchtime, and had all the same menu choices. We had to try one of their "hot rock" dishes -- where you cook your meat at your table on a very hot rock that's delivered with it -- so we simply shared one, accompanying it with bowls of their very excellent french onion soup. The result was a very satisfying meal, appropriate in size and cost for mid-day.

• akasimon's Profile Photo

Grizzly House Resteraunt: Good Food for the adventurous

by akasimon Updated Jun 10, 2005

A bit expensive but well worth the visit. The Grizzly House is one of the towns foundation resteraunts with not only an eclectic menu but also owners. A great time and great place for Fondues and Hot Rock cooking. Fantastic rich dark and romantic in nature. Well worth the extra cash.

Favorite Dish: Hot rocks with exotic meats. Also a fantastic fondue.

• Jareotto's Profile Photo

The Grizzly House: Check out the Hot Rock Lunch!

by Jareotto Written Jun 21, 2004

OK - NOT a vegetarian restaurant - however, my friend is vegan and was able to enjoy a veggie wrap. Still the highlight here is the meat.
    TGH has any kind of meat that you want! REALLY! They serve beef, chicken, lobster, crab, fish, ostrich, snake, crocodile (?), elk, buffalo - all kinds of meat.
    Also - TGH is known for it's fondue dishes.
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT!! I've been to Banff MANY times and always passed this by. DO NOT MISS IT!!
    PLUS - the hot rock lunches are only about $15 and you cook your meat yourself at the table. It's GREAT! They also have GREAT BEER.... Bon apetit!

Favorite Dish: I recommend the Hot Rock Lunch.
    Most meals run about $40 - but, the hot rock lunches are only about $15! AWESOME meal!!
    They bring a hot rock (about 450 degrees Fahrenheit). You cook your meat yourself right at your table!! It's GREAT! We enjoyed the Sea and Land meal - lobster, scallops, beef, and shrimp.
    TGH also specializes in fondue dishes. Haven't tried it myself, however, my friends highly recommend it.

The Grizzly House. Hot Rock Lunch! Very Rustic Decore! The bear on the wall attacked me!  I HAVE PROOF! Guy drinking from the kegs!

Instant Answers: Banff

• bri4444's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Me and many of my friends have been going to Grizzly House for a long time and have never been disappointed with the food, and sometimes make a day trip just to have a dinner before driving back home to Calgary. If going in a group of 4 or more you can get both a hot rock and the oil fondu for your cooking of your meats so can try cooking your meal on both, I prefer the hot rock, but ideally like to do a bit of both. I normally get the Hunter collection which think is Elk, Venison, and Ostrich and then order a few a-al-carte meats to try something different. In passed have tried Kangaroo, Rattle Snake, or what ever they had that hadn't tried before. Think Bear is one of the few things that you can't order at Grizzly House. Think at one point this was a swingers club as they have phones at all the tables and in wash room entrance area so can call different tables having fun.