Bumper's The Beef House, Banff National Park

603 Banff Ave (403) 762-2622

• Bumpers Steak House: Terrible Experience

by mhooper Written Jan 6, 2010

The food was very overpriced and of very poor quality. The salad bar is included in every meal, or $10 on its own. They claim 28 different things, but only if you include the various types of dressing. The bacon bits were of the artificial kind, the various pasta and potato salads weren't very good. The only thing worth eating from the salad bar was the warm bread rolls.

At the time of ordering, we specifically asked if the fries were fresh cut. We were assured they were, so two of us ordered our meals with the fries. Whn our meals arrived, the rib steak was so fatty it was sent back. The ribs were dry and burnt. The chicken was dry, and the fries were of the frozen variety, and completely inedible.

We brought everything to the attention of the manager, who removed the rib steak from the bill. He did nothing for the other 3 people and their complaints at the table. His excuse for the fries was that they ran out of potatoes, so they used their backup supply. His attitude was very cavalier, and quite rude. In all my years working in restaurants myself, I would never have spoken to a customer that way.

He said thousands of people have eaten there and the many leave happy. I'm sure they were just too polite to complain. In a tourist town where the likelihood of having repeat customers is unlikely, they have no incentive to provide good food or good service. I always worked under the basic premise of "Every customer leaves happy." This is obviously not the case with Bumbers. I did go out again the next night, and after such lousy food in an independently owned restaurant, went to a sure thing where I know the food is consistently good... The Keg. It was excellent, 30% less expensive than Bumpers, and I left, full and satisfied.

Favorite Dish: None, unless you count the dinner rolls.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • National/State Park
    • Mountain Climbing

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Bumper's Beef House: Oh, that Beef!

by Camping_Girl Written Oct 21, 2008

Bumper's is a Banff establishment; they've been here forever. While they are known for their excellent beef, they also serve chicken and seafood. Let me talk about the beef - the prime rib is fabulous, the steaks are succulent and the beef ribs (if you can get them) are so delicious. All meals here include the all-you-can-eat salad bar. Prices here are really pretty reasonable, prime rib and steaks are in the $25 to $30 dollar range.

Oh! Not only is the food great, but the service is impeccable. This is a great place to go for a special meal.

Favorite Dish: The ribeye steak - a cut of prime rib, grilled to your specifications and served with your choice of potato, vegetables, and of course the salad bar.

The prime rib at Bumper's is legendary.

• Motorcycle
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Banff National Park

Comments

View all Banff National Park hotels