Places to eat in Banff National Park

• Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Banff National Park

Bamboo Garden: Thai with a View

by easterntrekker Written Apr 15, 2014

We really like it . We had Panong Chicken appetizer...nit like we had in Chiang Rai but it was the closest we've seen. We had a ginger Malaysian chicken dish that was good and so was the red shrimp curry . $62.00 . I thought it was great and would go back again. There is a nice mountain view as well.

Temple Lodge: Take a break in Lake Louise

by easterntrekker Written Apr 15, 2014

It took us over a half an hour to ski the bank mountain run.Just loved it . It's been a long while since we skied . We take a lunch break at Temple Lodge. Pretty good food.the chilli and chicken burger was great. Nice an cozy and offered a much need break.

A haven for tired Skiers
    • Women's Travel
    • Skiing and Boarding

Masala Restaurant: Try the Tandori Chicken

by easterntrekker Written Apr 15, 2014

Tonight we head out for some Indian food at the Masala. It was wonderful , in fact we think it was the best Indian food we've had since Dlehi. We had Lamb saag and chicken Tandori.so delicious and not bad at $73.00 with beers.

• Women's Travel

Melissa's: Real Western Experience

by easterntrekker Written Mar 23, 2014

We had dinner here with our family...8 of us and really enjoyed it . We had the fillet mignon and my son had the ribs and all,were fabulous . Really friendly service and a nice high ceiling log house structure. Would go back for sure.
    Prices were good and everything had salad included.

Try the Alberta Beef
    • Singles
    • Skiing and Boarding

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Magpie and Stump: TexMex with a Bite

by CdnJane Written Nov 3, 2012

Was hungry, and had a taste for something different. Stumbled upon Magpie & Stump and was pleased by what I found. Had the Chicken & Salsa Quesadilla, which had more of a bite than I'm used to, but it was good. The service was a little slow, but I wasn't in a rush, and the food was worth the wait. Seemed to be popular by the groups in the restaurant, which were business people, an older couple, students, families, and a single (me!). There were a good selection of options on the menu, and think I'd enjoy returning with others to try a few other options. ... maybe the next time I'm in Banff.

Favorite Dish: As mentioned above, I had the Chicken & Salsa Quesadilla. It was a hotter salsa than I usually eat, but the bite wasn't unwelcome. It was a good plateful, but not too much.food, and an extra dish of sour cream was required.

• twilightmuse's Profile Photo

Beavertails: Ohhey gooey goodness.

by twilightmuse Updated Aug 2, 2012

Beavertails. Is there more to say about this? If you have never experienced a beavertail then you must! Picutre a round piece of dough that is stretched out and deep fried, like a doughnut or funnel cake. Then it is loaded with toppings of your choice. Cinnamon, or nutella or peanut butter or chocolate. Can't decide on one flavour- try half and half. They are fatty and will most likey give you heart burn or gut rot but my god they are so worth it.

Favorite Dish: I like the chocolate, peanut butter and reese pieces one. So gooey.

BEAVERTAILS!!!! YUMMMO. Ohhey gooey goodness.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Rose and Crown: Outdoor patio on the Roof

by Hermanater Updated Apr 4, 2011

After hiking the Sundance Canyon, we decided to stop here for a beer and something to eat.
    After a couple flights of stairs you hit the patio. The patio is small but does offer a small view of the mouintains. It was a beautiful day which made the patio seem that much nicer.

Favorite Dish: I had the nacho plate. To be honest, this is the first time I every had over baked nachos. They were still edible but I was disappointed. Everyone else enjoyed their meals.

MukaMuk Restaurant and Lounge

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

MukaMuk (mook a mook) means "feast" in Chinook Indian, and showcases native aboriginal ingredients fused with western food. It is located in the newly renovated The Juniper, the hippest hotel in the Canadian Rockies right now. The hotel is located just outside the town of Banff, and convenient if you're heading more west as it bypasses having to drive into town and finding a parking spot.

The interior is spare modern, and has a large outdoor patio with beautiful views of the Rockies and the town of Banff. The dining room itself is an open concept, which could work badly for the kitchen staff as I could clearly hear them discussing the addition of the sweet potato fries to my halibut order. Service was swift and extremely pleasant.

Favorite Dish: May I mention the sweet potato fries again? Obviously fresh made, they were cooked to perfection with a slight crunch still apparent. The beer-battered halibut was maybe a tad overcooked (but I am extremely fussy about fish); however, the taste of ale was very apparent in the batter, and obviously not a pre-packaged mix. My husband enjoyed his bison burger; it was well made and flavorful, though it was a processed, pre-formed patty. I still maintain there is no reason to purchase pre-made burgers when they can be so easily made in a few minutes from fresh meat. The freshly-made yukon gold fries were very tasty as well.

We enjoyed the native touches such as my juniper berry and milk pod tartar sauce (tasted pretty much like tartar sauce except for a spicy bite) plus the slate and wooden dishes. If you're looking for a unique dining experience that would include native ingredients, I recommend Mukamuk.

Saltlik

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

This relatively new steakhouse in Banff is easy on the eye and on the wallet -- it's hard to find elegant dining without paying big bucks in Banff.

The room is decorated in rustic elegance, with a copper-dome fireplace being the main focal point. The service tends to be a little uneven; the last time we were there it could have been better, as my husband had to flag someone else a few times for more water and drinks after we waited patiently for our waiter to do so. It would be understandable if the place was busy, but it was a slow day during the week and this shouldn't have been a problem.

Favorite Dish: There is a variety of foods to choose from if you're not into steaks, like seared tuna or salmon. I've had both, and the tuna is perfectly paired with a flavorful lemon basil pesto. The steaks are AAA Black Angus, and actually came done as ordered -- medium rare. So often, we have ordered steaks elsewhere and they or either overdone or underdone.

If you just want to go for lunch, try the burgers; they are house-made, and are not preformed patties which makes a huge difference in taste and texture.

mmm Beef mmm

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Lake Agnes/Plain of Six Glacier Teahouses: teahouses are a way of life in Banff NP

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 27, 2009

Teahouses have been a part of hiking in Banff since 1927 when the park was a climbing mecca and Swiss mountaineers introduced Canada to the sport. Their influence is evident in the chalet architecture of the small mountain restaurants.

For European countries like Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, this is very much the status quo. You do not hike in major tourist areas there without having such places to take a break. I must say I would prefer a more pristine environment and they take some of the beauty away from the areas where they are built. But these are historical structures and people seem to love them. For many who have not hiked in Switzerland and such places, it may be their first exposure to being able to not carry a lunch, and even get a hot beverage or soup while out hiking.

Enjoy them if that is your thing. Walk to a more serene area otherwise. One good thing about such places is most people congregate there so if trying to avoid the crowds, just avoid the teahouses.

Favorite Dish: Their menus are simple and prices are high but you must factor in their cost in getting food and fuel to the respective teahouses as well as transporting garbage back out. I did not use the facilities but to be honest you have to be lucky to get a seat. They are that popular despite the prices. Expect to pay C$13 for soup and sandwich combos, C$5 for a piece of cake, and C$6/12 for small/large pot of tea. Of course, they only take cash.

Lake Agnes Teahouse Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: a Canadian Institution

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 26, 2009

Here we were in Canada for nearly a week and we had not had our Tim Horton's fix. I had introduced my wife to the Canadian institution on our first trip to Ontario together in 2003. She was anticipating a return engagement but we never saw one in Victoria or on our way to Banff coming from British Colombia. We were a bit surprised there was no Tim Horton's in Banff but were pleasantly surprised to come across one on about ten miles east of town heading towards Calgary in Canmore, Alberta. It also gave me a chance to use up some of my Canadian dollars before returning to the US.

Favorite Dish: We opted to split a few things to go with our coffees. We had a Baked Apple Dumpling, Boston Cream, and a Cheddar Cheese Scone. It came to C$7 and was a very tasty and satisfying snack, helping us to make it past Calgary and halfway to Glacier National Park in Montana.

D all smiles at Tim's, why not?

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Tommy's: Friendly Little Pub

by Camping_Girl Written Oct 21, 2008

Tommy's is downstairs below the Balkan Restaurant and both are owned by the same people. This is a friendly, unassuming little pub. They have many great beer selections on tap, including my new favorite, Rickard's White. They have a nice little menu. I'm told by our server that the burgers are "awesome". All burgers come in your choice of beef, chicken, bison, elk or veggie. That in itself is impressive.

Favorite Dish: Try the appetizer platter. A veritable feast for 2 or 3 people.

• Motorcycle
    • Beer Tasting

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Melissa's Misteak: Fresh Food & Friendly Service

by Camping_Girl Written Oct 21, 2008

Melissa's serves one of the best breakfasts in Banff. The food is freshly prepared, nicely presented, and served piping hot. Breakfast dishes are in the $8 to $10 range, and there is a great selection of items on the menu.

They are also open for lunch and dinner. The service is fast and friendly. We had a short wait for a table, less than 10 minutes.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a deluxe omelette ($9.50) made with 3 eggs and containing an assortment of vegetables, ham and cheddar cheese. Served with multi-grain toast. The meal was cooked perfectly, hot and delicious. DH ordered a ham steak and eggs ($12) and was amazed by the meal he received. 3 eggs, hash browns, multi-grain toast and a grilled ham steak 1/4" thick served with grilled pineapple rings. Needless to say, neither of us wanted lunch that day!

• Motorcycle

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Ticino Swiss-Italian Restaurant: Unsatisfactory Experience

by Babzz Written Jun 20, 2007

We were quite disappointed with this restaurant. It was quite expensive (some dishes in the mid-$30s), so we ordered pasta dishes (none of which looked overly exciting…I selected the spaghetti). The portions were small and the pasta was mediocre. We had to drown it in parmesan. What’s worse is that they claim to have Italian influence, yet the waitress described penne as “tube noodles” eek!! The bread wasn’t very good either; it didn’t taste fresh. The waitress was very nice and attentive though. I highly doubt I would return to this restaurant, and if I did, I would order one of the meat dishes and hopefully have better luck with that.

Bow Valley Grill: Banff Springs Hotel

by madamx Updated Sep 11, 2006

The Bow Valley Grill is one of the many dining areas located in the Banff Springs Hotel complex. The hotel can be overwhelming, but they do have staff stationed near the entrance to help out those wandering around with glazed expressions.

The Sunday Brunch here is pricey -- ranging from $37.00 - $45.00 CDN depending on if it's a holiday or not. A much better bang for your buck is the Saturday buffet lunch, which is approx $27.00 a person. It's the same buffet, without the breakfast dishes. Plus, they throw in a free tour of the hotel, make sure to inquire when you come into the restaurant. The lunch is seasonal, from May to October. Then, a buffet dinner is offered until spring.

Make your reservations well in advance for the brunch, and don't forget to request a window table, with beautiful views of the Rockies.

Favorite Dish: Even though the buffets here tend to be pricey, the quality is extremely high. Small pans of food are put out, so that the food is constantly rotated and fresh. The open kitchen environment allows for you to converse with the kitchen staff, and one even went to the fridge to get some brie cheese for me, even though it was not offered on the cheese tray that day. a must-try for dessert is the Chocolate Terrine, which is usually offered daily.

The only thing you can't eat at the buffet

Banff National Park Hotels

• Patricia Lake Bungalows

Pyramid Lake Road, 5 km from Jasper, Jasper, Alberta, T0E 1E0, Canada

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Business

• Banff Springs Hotel

Friend's of mine were visiting Alberta so we decided to splurge and share a room at the Fairmont...

• Bow Valley Motel

This is a fantastic place to stay if you are on a budget. The rooms are well equip with everything...

Latest Banff National Park Hotel Reviews

Mt. Engadine Lodge
Banff Springs Hotel
Latest: Jul 13, 2014

Instant Answers: Banff National Park

Comments

Banff National Park Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Banff National Park locals.
Map of Banff National Park