The Keg Steakhouse and Bar, Banff National Park

by Bwana_Brown
  • Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

The Keg Steakhouse: A Truly Forgettable Experience

by Camping_Girl Written Oct 21, 2008

This Keg has got me re-thinking ever setting foot in another Keg restaurant. I'm not a huge complainer, nor am I terribly picky. But I've got to say that for $145... well I expect a lot more than I received. Our meals were good - when we got them - but the service was among the worst I've ever experienced. For starters, we arrived here around 7:00 pm on a Saturday during the off season. The restaurant was full, but not packed. DH ordered prime rib and our server came back about 10 minutes later to advise that they were "out of prime rib". That was a huge disappointment. My Cosmopolitan was the worst I've ever tasted. I'm pretty sure it wasn't even made with vodka. Then we had a server who came to our (tiny) table 3 times and never once took any empty plates or glasses with him. The capper was waiting approx 25 minutes to pay for our bill. I still can't believe it.

Favorite Dish: What does it matter? This place isn't even on my top 50 list!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Keg Steakhouse and Bar: Great Food!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 6, 2004

The Keg

In our unorganized departure for Banff National Park, we had neglected to find the time to have lunch. As a result, when we finally made it back to the town of Banff at 4:30 PM, we were ready for some serious eating. My daughter's boyfriend recommended The Keg as a great spot to eat and, since we have one back home in Frederiction as well, I decided that we may as well give it a try. At that time of day, the very nicely done dining room/bar area was not very busy, so service was prompt.

Favorite Dish: Since they had a Starters special of 3 for US$10.50 we decided to go for it: a Crab, Parmesan & Spinich Dip with pita and tortilla chips, Scallops wrapped in Bacon with a zesty Martini Cocktail sauce and finally Mushrooms Neptune - wine simmered mushroom caps with cream cheese (these dishes are normally ~US$6 each). Delicious.

Then it was on to the serious eating. A Portabella Mushroom Fajita (US$12), Grilled Tiger Shrimp with Garlic Herbs on rice (US$16.50), Mediterranean Chicken: tandoor-grilled topped with bell peppers, red onion & black olives in a roasted red pepper sauce & sprinkled with Feta cheese (US$12) and finally a Grilled Top Sirloin (US$14.50). Some cold glasses of Rickards Red draft beer, Coors Lite and Sawmill Creek Chardonney also hit the spot quite well. Altogether with taxes and a tip, the meal for four came to US$120 and it was a great eating experience (after all it was really two meals for that day!).

Instant Answers: Banff National Park

Comments

Hotels Near The Keg Steakhouse and Bar
3.5 out of 5 stars