Heritage Park, Calgary

1900 Heritage Dr. SW (403) 268-8500

Know about this? Rate It!

• Glenmore Reservoir at the edge of Heritage Park
    Glenmore Reservoir at the edge of...
    Visiting Heritage Park
    Strolling the streets of Heritage Park
  • Carmanah's Profile Photo

Heritage Park

by Carmanah Updated Jan 18, 2008

Visiting Heritage Park

Fondest memory: I loved Heritage Park the most in Calgary. Heritage Park is a living history museum, except it's actually a replica of a pioneer town much like back in the day when Calgary was founded. It has shops and houses that you can tour (and buy things in). It has a train you can ride, working farms, blacksmith shops, and even an old fashioned country fair, complete with rides. And the best part? They have people dressed in period costume who wander around the park in character from the 19th century, which we were absolutely thrilled to see!

The previous year we had been to Barkerville in BC, which is a preserved "living history" town from the Cariboo Gold Rush. At the same time, I was a big fan of the Road to Avonlea TV series, which takes place in late 19th century Canada. Heritage Park really felt like I was stepping back in time to that era and I loved it.

When we visited it was a hot August day and it felt so perfect wandering around. It was just so nice to relax and meander aimlessly throughout Heritage Park, especially since we had been spending so much time inside our car that trip.

• Museum Visits