Calgary Restaurants

Vegetable Noodle Soup - Saigon Y2K
    by Jetgirly

Most Recent Restaurants in Calgary

• Karlie85's Profile Photo

Pho Phuong VI Noodle House: Good at first...

by Karlie85 Written Mar 25, 2013

I went to eat here with my husband and my cousin before going to the Prince concert. A pho place right beside where we were staying - sweet!

When we walked in I was struck by how big and nice it was. Lots of tables and space to walk. Modern and simple decor, well lit and clean. Good first impression. Even the menus looked cool, covered with what looked like faux-bamboo. The waiter and the lady who seated us (owner?) were both really friendly and smiling all night.

I was a little less than happy when I opened the menu. There is a lot of food to choose from, but the prices were higher than I'm used to for pho. There were only a few types on the menu - albeit some interesting choices like seafood - but the cheapest one was $8.50 and went up to $10! I'm used to paying around $7 usually. My husband ordered the seafood one which had lobster balls, crab and shrimp. I ordered a coconut curry with chicken.

I don't know a lot about curry, but it looked strange to me when it came out. It was more like soup, there was so much curry (broth?), and not a lot else in it. There was chicken and potatoes and nothing else, and rice on the side. I was further disappointed that the chicken was dark meat which I really don't like, so I didn't eat all of it. The flavour of the curry was fine, but I don't usually just drink curry like soup so it was a bit much. I tried my husband's soup and liked it. He really liked it as well. The bill for three people came to $34 with tip, which, again, seems high to me for a pho place compared to the places I usually go to.

When we walked out of the restaurant I had a fine feeling about the experience. However, later on me and my husband both had upset stomachs, one of us worse than the other. Admittedly this did put a damper on my opinion of the place. I'm still giving them three stars because they seem like nice people who are putting effort into their business, but the high prices compared with the sickness brought it down.

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

The Fine Diner: Trendy Brunch Stop

by Jetgirly Written Feb 16, 2013
    Breakfast at The Fine Diner, Calgary

The Fine Diner is one of the newer restaurants in historic Inglewood, just a few blocks east of Calgary's city center. Open daily for breakfast and lunch, the Fine Diner draws a crowd (expect to queue... fortunately there is free coffee while you wait!) and service can be a bit harried. The breakfast menu features savoury egg dishes and sweet baked treats, while lunch includes diner classics like soups, salads and sandwiches... with a twist. This place is about 10-15% more expensive than other similar restaurants in the city (like Diner Deluxe, Galaxie Diner, OEB, etc.) but it's on the affordable end of the scale for the neighbourhood. If you happen to be in Inglewood during the morning or early afternoon it's worth a visit.

• la-lola's Profile Photo

Higher Ground: Kensington Cafe

by la-lola Written Jan 8, 2013

This used to be my cafeshop, before I discovered Beano and Vendome. Nice atmospher... nothing special about the food, just a very good location, you´ll find a lot of students with their laptops..

Favorite Dish: Maybe a latte

• Benson35's Profile Photo

Kelsey's: Calgary Airport

by Benson35 Written Nov 10, 2012

This place was needed to fill a rather large hole that had been created through a lot of travelling!
    It's your basic 'we aim to please everybody' menu, offering snacks and meals.
    I had a nice salad with chicken. The prices are more expensive than what you would expect to pay around Saskatchewn (from my experience), but you are in an airport! And I completely expected this.

They offer cocktails if you fancy by the pitcher or by the glass.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Joey Restaurant - Crowfoot: The best in premium casual dining

by BLewJay Updated Jun 18, 2012

Joey is a “casual” and “upscale” place to dine and just hang out. The food is exceptional and inspired by little out-of-the-way places from all over the world. They take care of their guests with service that says, “we thought of that just for you.” So with that said, we enjoyed ourselves to the fullest.

Favorite Dish: For dinner, I selected the Ahi Tuna Club Sandwich (Ahi Tuna grilled rare with bacon, red pepper relish, arugula and panko onion rings served with fries) while LJ had the Panang Prawn Curry Bowl (shrimp stir-fried with vegetables in a red coconut curry,Thai basil & peanuts over rice).

• Beer Tasting

BC Fruit and Taber Corn

by penumbra Updated Oct 10, 2011

Fresh fruit and veggies

You see them at the edges of shopping malls or along the side of a street during the summer. Fruit and vegetable stands with signs that read “BC Fruit” or “Taber Corn”. “BC Fruit” implies fruit grown in the interior of the province of British Columbia. Anyone who has driven through BC probably has fond memories of stopping at fresh fruit stands that line the highways by the orchards. The fruit stands that make it to Calgary are much smaller, maybe the size of a pickup truck, and may or may not be from BC. Similarly, Taber is a small community in southern Alberta well known for its corn. All roadside vegetable vendors are marketed as “Taber Corn” whether or not it actually came from that area. Still, if you’re in the market for fruits and vegetables and see a roadside stand, it doesn’t hurt to stop and check the goods.

Saigon Y2K: Vermicelli

by penumbra Updated Oct 10, 2011

On Crowchild Trail at McMahon Stadium

A decade ago, it was difficult to find a Vietnamese restaurant in Calgary. Now they’re quite common. My favorite is one that is across from the McMahon football stadium. It’s easy to get in and out of the parking lot, the service can be slow but the food is good. You won’t be alone either, as many others have “discovered” this restaurant. There is second restaurant by the same name, but strangely a slightly different menu, downtown in Chinatown on Center street. Don’t worry if you can’t use chopsticks as cutlery is available on request.

Jetgirly reported that the restaurant no longer makes deliveries even though they still have a delivery menu.

Favorite Dish: Chicken and spring rolls on vermicelli noodles

Verona Pizza: Calgary’s Best Pizza

by penumbra Written Oct 8, 2011
    Paradise by the slice

People can get pretty passionate about their favorite pizza place, so allow me to share my contender with you: Verona Pizza. And you’re in luck… it’s located in downtown Calgary and you can try it by the slice. But be aware, this is not a well-kept secret. And don’t even bother looking at the menu. If you don’t see anything of interest ready to serve, then just walk away and try again another day.

Favorite Dish: What makes it so good? Hot fresh mozzarella, and lots of it. But timing is everything. Too early, there’s not much selection because the pizzas are still in the oven and not many are ready to serve. Too late, and the crowd has been there before you and the pickings will be slim. Noon is best of course, and through exhaustive research, I’ve determined that 12:15pm is the ideal time.

When they’re going at full tilt, you’ll usually find a selection of eight pizzas or so to choose from: beef and mushroom, pepperoni, pepperoni and mushroom, pepperoni and bacon, all meat, all cheese, spinach and feta, Hawaiian. Side salads are an option and if you’d like something other than pizza, they also serve lasagna or baked spaghetti.

Peter’s Drive Inn: A Calgary Institution

by penumbra Updated Oct 1, 2011

Old Style Drive Inn

There’s only one Peter’s Drive Inn. In a city where restaurants come and go each year, Peter’s has been around forever. You can drive through (on either side) or walk up to the window to place your order but either way, you’ll almost always have to wait in line. It’s that popular. In fact, over the years, the city has had to put up barriers to keep excessive traffic from bothering the nearby residential neighborhood. There are no indoor tables, but there are plenty of picnic tables in their park like surroundings.

Favorite Dish: Famous for their hamburgers and milkshakes, there’s a different milkshake flavor on special each day.

• Matador Pizza and Steakhouse: Best Pizza in Calgary

by Flo.az Updated Jun 29, 2011

Love this place, came with my family for the first time.
    the place was packed

there seemed to be a line out the door for pick up
    the lounge was 3/4 full

we had a Bullfighters pizza that was one of the best pizzas i have ever eaten
    thick crust, loaded with toppings and covered in mozza ....mmmmmm

service was good, we were there mid week, i cant imagine what a weekend is like

prices were typical Calgary Prices not over the top but not cheap
    has a fully licensed Bar with Vlts

Favorite Dish: the bullfighters pizza is amazing

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Cora's: Tutti-Fruitti

by Jetgirly Updated Apr 4, 2011

Breakfast at Cora's

When I heard a Cora's had opened at Northland Village Mall in northwest Calgary, I was very excited. I knew there was no way the food they served could be as beautifully presented and appetizing as the photos on their website, but if the food was even half as good as it looked I would be happy!

Before I went to Cora's I read online that I would have to be prepared to wait. So, when my friend and I arrived at 11:00 and heard the wait to be seated would be an hour, we weren't worried. Instead, we planned to scour the mall and check out Winners upstairs. After forty-five minutes we returned to the queue at Cora's and we were called in to be seated right at noon. They don't take reservations so come prepared with something to do while you wait.

When we saw the menu, we were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable prices. Cora's dishes up traditional breakfast favorites (especially crepes and French toast), all topped with loads of fresh fruit. Prices normally in the $9-$11 range, which is great for Calgary. I chose a plate with crepes and french toast, topped with fresh fruit and served with a side of Devonshire cream. My friend had the cinnamon-raisin brioche french toast, with an egg on the side and lots of fruit all over it. The BEST thing about Cora's is that THE PICTURES DON'T LIE! The food is actually as beautiful as it looks on the menu- the fruit is just as fresh and they certainly don't skimp on it. We also had delicious fruit smoothies (I had banana-mango and my friend had strawberry-banana) that were perfect with our breakfasts.

I'm going back to Cora's tomorrow morning and can't wait! It's my new favorite breakfast joint in Calgary!

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Tony Roma's: The place for ribs (and so much more)

by BLewJay Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went to this location to celebrate my father-in-law's 89th birthday. Great location, awesome food and decent prices make this a place we'll visit again.

Favorite Dish: I selected the Bountiful Beef Ribs basted with Carolina Honey sauce with a loaded baked potato and cole slaw. Padre had the BBQ Salmon (an 8oz. Atlantic Salmon filet, grilled and brushed with TR BBQ sauce) with rice and vegetables. LJ chose the Grilled Chicken Spinach Stack (two stacked, grilled chicken breasts straight from the open grill covered with a rich blend of four cheeses, artichoke hearts and creamy spinach) and served with a loaded baked potato and vegetables.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Chianti's: Cheap but good food

by Hermanater Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went there for my father's birthday. It was a Tuesday night and there were 9 of us. The Tuesday night special was pasta dishes. For $7 you had a choice of various types of pasta. All of us ate for around $78. The only complaint was the Caesar salad tasted like vinegar. The waiter did remove the cost of the salad from the bill.

Favorite Dish: All of the pasta was good.

• madamx's Profile Photo

Amato Gelato

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

The hardest thing is choosing one flavor

Originally started in Vancouver, Amato Gelato has now opened a store in Calgary. Sure, there's a few gelato places in Calgary, but having done *ahem* some extensive research, I do believe Amato wins hands down for flavor and quality. Mario LoScerbo learned ice cream making from his father and grandfather, and the care and skill that his company uses to make the gelatos and sorbettos shines through. They even have an alarm on the fridge that sells pre-packaged products so that the door isn't left open too long and the -30C temperature is maintained.

There are so many flavors on display, it's almost overwhelming. Many flavors are already packed in plastic containers to take home, which are a lot easier to handle than the traditional styrofoam and plastic insert containers.

All the gelatos are made with skim milk -- less guilt for most customers, and the sorbettos are so rich in flavor and creamy you'll swear there was some type of dairy in there.

Favorite Dish: There is so much to choose from -- even red bean and taro for the asian crowd. I highly recommend: Hedgehog (chocolate and hazelnut), Mango sorbetto, Coconut, and the Raspberry and Watermelon sorbettos.

They also serve coffee, grilled paninis and some pastry items. But most people are there for the gelato....

• madamx's Profile Photo

Sakana Grill

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

www.sakanagrill.com

Sakana Grill probably offers the best sushi at the most affordable prices in town. The sushi is always well-prepared, and their lunch specials are good value. The highlight of the restaurant is the floating sushi bar. If sushi is not your taste, there are also other authentic Japanese dishes offered as well as Teppan Yaki.

Favorite Dish: We almost always order the love boat -- a bamboo boat filled with sushi for two. The loveboat special also comes with soup, salad and dessert, so be really hungry before you go.

Instant Answers: Calgary

Comments

Calgary Restaurants

Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Calgary has a great range of dining options.  Many of the most popular restaurants are concentrated downtown, on 17th Avenue SW or in Mission (4th Street SW), but other great options exist...