Calgary Restaurants

by Jetgirly

Best Rated Restaurants in Calgary

Fionn MacCools: Any one for Guinness

I'm an Irish Canadian

Only stopped here because it had been a long walk on a hot day and by now we were feely hungry and thirsty. The pub was busy, as most were because of the Calgary Stampede, with locals & tourists enjoying a cool drink in the bar.
    This place had a nice deck to sit outside and relax in the sunshine. I have since checked their web site and had to laugh at the statement 'Transport yourself to the Emerald Isle with just one pint' Ah well they do serve Guinness - Smithwick's and Caffreyes here. Again - cowboy hats on waiters and on customers!!

Favorite Dish: I had 1/2 portion of fish & chips, not the best I have ever eaten, my other half (no not the fish) had triple deck turkey sandwich washed down by a pint of the black stuff.

• Beer Tasting

Nellie's on 4th: A Cosy Atmosphere

Nellie's on 4th

On our first morning in Calgary, we drove a very short distance into the centre of the city to sample some breakfast fare at one of the five 'Nellie's' restaurants in the city. 'Nellie's on 4th' has a really homey and welcoming atmosphere with it's decor and breakfast aromas!

Favorite Dish: We all ordered the 2 eggs with bacon, hash brown potatoes and multigrain toast along with coffee or tea (US$5 each) - and it really hit the spot! After lingering a bit to finish off our coffees, we hit the road for Banff National Park!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Classic Jack's: Great Wings!

Classic Jack's

The evening after our all-day shopping experiences, we all walked a few blocks downtown to the restaurant area. It was not long before we came across Classic Jack's! Normally, they have extra outdoor seating but, with it getting late in the year and in the evening, this seating was now out of commission. That was OK with us, we were perfectly happy to sit inside because the temperature can drop rather quickly in the Autumn months in Canada!

Favorite Dish: We decided to stick with some of their great chicken wings, cooked in a very flavourful and tastey sauce! This was washed down, in my case, with a draft Sleeman's Amber Ale (brewed in Ontario) while my wife opted for a glass of Bin 222 white wine. The total price for the four of us, including a tip, came to US$37

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Panorama Room: We've Hit the Jackpot!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 20, 2009

Appetizers

Due to a strange set of circumstances that transpired one floor above on the Observation Deck of the Calgary Tower (see Off the Beaten Path for details), we found ourselves sitting in the The Panorama Room revolving restaurant only 1 hour after leaving our disasterous breakfast at Nellie's Kitchen. Since our stomachs were still a trifle full, our server, Stephane, recommended that we start with sample plate of their various appetizers. We fully agreed with his choice!

Favorite Dish: While waiting for the appetizer plate, the three of us ordered fresh strawberry daquiris to sip on while we congratulated ourselves on our good luck at landing this free meal! I briefly contemplated ordering a bottle of their US$190 Dom Perignon champagne, but didn't really think that would be in keeping with the spirit of things!

The plate, when it arrived had quite a selection of choices: grilled prawn, scallops, smoked salmon, shaved duck, air-dried buffalo slices, Indian candied salmon, wild berry chutney and lemon slices with dill and mustard mayonnaise to boot. We took our time nibbling away because we were in no big rush for the main course just yet!

A platter for two like this normally costs about US$15

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Panorama Room: How Could We Say No?

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 11, 2004

The Main Course in our Private Booth

OK, we had managed to take up 45 minutes on our settling in period with the Appetizer plate, now Stephane said that the chef insisted that we try their special of the day! Who were we to argue now that our stomachs were feeling more comfortable about the situation!

Favorite Dish: It just happened that the day's special was something that comes straight from the cold waters of my home Maritime provinces - Atlantic lobster!

We were soon presented with a very artistically arranged plate featuring a lobster tail on its shell, accompanied by cajun shrimp, baby potatoes, whole garlic, zuchinni, red & green peppers, red onions, black olives and asperagus stalks! Stephane helped my wife and I choose our wines to compliment this wonderful meal as we sat there marvelling at the whole experience! Later, I asked Stephane how much this meal would cost if we actually had to pay for it and he said it would be about US$30 per plate.

As if that was not enough, we were then treated to a selection of their desserts on a tray to finish the meal off. By this point, the food had caught up with us, but Stephane offered to box up our one remaining lobster tail and fixings, along with the desserts so we could take it home to our daughter's boyfriend!

We emerged onto the steet in a dazed state - this was supposed to be our 'touring Calgary' day and all we had done so far was eat! Not only that, but we had a 6 PM dinner engagement yet to come at my sister's house!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Milestones: Enjoy a refreshing drink in the summer sun

Great Drinks & Brunch

A great place to people watch from the deck of this restaurant in the pedestrian street of Stephen's Avenue.
    Milestone's is a chain restaurant and is located in most large cities and towns in Canada. Service was quick and friendly this is a nice modern, buzzy and friendly place to relax & watch the world go by.

Favorite Dish: Milestone's serve all the usual American/Canadian foods
    We had brunch here the menu is quiet extensive, we had scrambled eggs with Canadian ham, fresh brewed coffe and a fresh fruity cool drink with a really zingy flavours - fine on a hot day.

Toad & Turtle: Go see the Gophers outside this Pub & Grill

Strange Name Eh!

The Toad & Turtle is described as an Enlish Pub but I didn't recognise the English connection - only the name made it sound English. The restaurant has a nice interior with lots of colourful posters and various nicknacks adorning the walls. You have three choices of seating here - in the bar - seperate dinning room or on the roof top patio. We chose the bar because it had a lively atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The servers were quick and very friendly - mostly school & college students from all parts of Canada but unfortunately the food is not too good here.
    Maybe just my taste because it is always busy

Executive Royal Inn: Stomp on down for Breakfast

by scottishvisitor Written Jul 27, 2005

Stop for Breakfast

The hotel restuarant is modern & relaxing with good food & service. It offeres open views & an excellent menu choice.

Favorite Dish: Any Alberta beef dish - this is really good beef.
    The ice cream with maple syrup is yummy washed down with a refreshing drink.

Nellie's Kitchen: Houston - We Have a Problem

Nellie's Kitchen

The morning previous to this, my wife and I had taken advantage of the free Continental style breakfast at our Best Western hotel. However, it had not met all my desires, so I suggested that my wife, daughter and I head off into the downtown area for something more substantial the next morning.

Sure enough, after a short walk along the streets we came to another of the 'Nellie's' chain of breakfast spots. We had enjoyed our meal at one of their other establishments two mornings earlier, so it seemed like a good choice.

Favorite Dish: Things did not go as planned. My plate of eggs with bacon (US$1.50 extra for the bacon) came without the bacon. No problem, we mentioned it to the server and all was sorted out. My wife had ordered a bagel with cream cheese and slices of tomatoes as garnish. She was really enjoying it before she offered it to our daughter to sample. It was then, in the clear light of day, that they noticed that the bagel had mould on it! When this was brought to the attention of staff, they were most apologetic and whisked it away to be replaced. This seemed to take a long time, while my daughter and I continued to eat our meals before they became totally cold. Finally, my wife's replacement order returned - but sorry, they had run out of tomatoes! By now, Sue was left to eat her downgraded meal while we sat there. The waitress offered a 15% discount (enough to cover the taxes plus a fraction of the meal cost) but, by then, we had had enough. The morning was wasting away - they did forego the charges on that meal as we finally left the restaurant. Our total cost came to US$7.50 each. By the time we left, it was 10:30 AM and we had plans to explore Calgary - this delay would have repercussions that we had not counted on!

My Sister's House: Homecooked Alberta Beef

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 11, 2004

Chef at Work

Two days before we visited the Calgary Tower, we had arranged to have a 6 PM dinner appointment at my sister's house, because it had been over 3 years since we were last in Calgary. The weather was great, so we sat around outside and chatted for a while, having a few beers, while her husband did the honours at their BBQ.

Favorite Dish: This guy really knows his steak, searching out all the best spots to get the best cuts of select Alberta beef! He has his cooking technique down pat as well, getting the steaks on the grill in reverse order of the cooking instructions. No BBQ sauce, just sprinklings of a tastey powder every once in a while. It was not long before we were eating again! The steaks were delicious, served along with a great baked potatoe dish with melted cheese topping!

Il Sogno

by madamx Updated Jan 15, 2005

Il Sogno means "the dream" in Italian, and is a very romantic place to have dinner. It is located in an early 1900's building, and they have kept as many of the old details as possible intact during renovations, such as the pressed tin ceilings, exposed brick and hardwood floors.

The staff are extremely prompt and professional, while being friendly at the same time. Not attitudes here, even though this is one of the best noveau-italian restaurants in the city.

The dining room is intimate, while being quite spacious at the same time; no listening in to someone else's conversation here. The manager discreetly circulates the room constantly, keeping everything under control, which you don't see very often.

Favorite Dish: We have eaten here several times, and have never been disappointed. If you can't decide, the chef's menu is always fun, as it is what he has found fresh that day, so every day is different. This includes appetizer, main, and dessert, and is around $60.00 per person.

What I have enjoyed here on previous visits are: Australian Tilefish, Bison Striploin, and my all time favorite, the fettucini with truffle oil; outstanding!

As what sadly happens with some really good restaurants, desserts tend to be a bit more uneven. You may be just happier to have a gelato at Amato Gelato ( in my Calgary restaurant tips) , which is about a 10 minute drive from Il Sogno.

Amato Gelato

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

The hardest thing is choosing one flavor

Originally started in Vancouver, Amato Gelato has now opened a store in Calgary. Sure, there's a few gelato places in Calgary, but having done *ahem* some extensive research, I do believe Amato wins hands down for flavor and quality. Mario LoScerbo learned ice cream making from his father and grandfather, and the care and skill that his company uses to make the gelatos and sorbettos shines through. They even have an alarm on the fridge that sells pre-packaged products so that the door isn't left open too long and the -30C temperature is maintained.

There are so many flavors on display, it's almost overwhelming. Many flavors are already packed in plastic containers to take home, which are a lot easier to handle than the traditional styrofoam and plastic insert containers.

All the gelatos are made with skim milk -- less guilt for most customers, and the sorbettos are so rich in flavor and creamy you'll swear there was some type of dairy in there.

Favorite Dish: There is so much to choose from -- even red bean and taro for the asian crowd. I highly recommend: Hedgehog (chocolate and hazelnut), Mango sorbetto, Coconut, and the Raspberry and Watermelon sorbettos.

They also serve coffee, grilled paninis and some pastry items. But most people are there for the gelato....

Big T's BBQ

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2008

This restaurant is relatively new on the Calgary dining scene, and it's probably the only real barbeque restaurant in Calgary. Now it seems, it's popularity has sky-rocketed; two new locations have opened, one on Macleod Trail, and one on trendy 17th Avenue.

The food here is traditionally smoked for about 12-16 hours on apple wood from the BC interior, as opposed to the big chain, Tony Roma's who steam their barbeque meats before grilling.

The dining area is quite plain, and has a spartan rustic decor, which is thankfuly smoke-free. The waitstaff are friendly and know the menu well, thus being able to be very knowledgeable in guiding you if you are unfamiliar with the dishes.

Favorite Dish: You must try the beef ribs, which were probably the best barbeque beef ribs I have ever tasted. Tender, with plenty of heart artery -clogging morsels of rich beef soaked in house barbeque sauce. At 4 gigantic ribs, the serving was enormous. The St. Louis style pork ribs are another must-try.

Everything is homemade; although I found the beans quite disappointingly bland; however a big dollop of bbq sauce fixed that. The onion rings were excellent; big, generous crisp rings without loads of breading. The dirty rice is another must-try, as well as the very yummy chili and the mashed potatoes (no mixes here!!) They also offer smoked sausage, burgoo, catfish po boys, hush puppies and other dishes from the deep south. If you have a starving party of four, the Elvis Platter is a great deal -- a huge selection of all their meats and sides, and rings in at under $25.00 each. They have now added roast veggies to the menu (I guess so you can justify a carnivorous orgy) and mac and cheese. I find the food just gets better and better as they "tweak" their recipes.

They have dessert, but I guarantee you won't have room for it. We have yet to get to the dessert!

Overall, it's nice to finally see a good independent barbeque restaurant in Calgary, as curiously no one has opened one before in the middle of Alberta Beef country.

Metropolitan Grill

by madamx Updated Jul 4, 2006

Steak Sandwich

If you are a vegetarian, there's almost nil to choose from on the Metropolitan Grill's menu. It's all meat, and it's all good. Oh, and there's some seafood thrown in as well. The decor is hip and cool, but the service is warm, friendly, and personable. The roomy boths covered in deep red leather are our favorite spots to sit. The very hip and cool automated bathrooms also have flat screen tv's in the stalls (on the back of the door) and show animated short movies if you're bored doing your business.

The downtown location is extremely busy with power lunchers, so if you want to have lunch you will have to book ahead. They do have tables for walk-ins but these go really fast.

Favorite Dish: I would highly recommend the shrimp cocktail -- four huge, perfectly poached lobster-sized shrimp accompanied by tangy sauce. The most expensive appetizer at $19.00, it's best shared as it would be very filling on it's own. All the food we had was prepared extremely well and I would not hesitate to return.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed his Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich and nicely prepared caesar salad with real bacon. The sandwich was made with interesting swirl-patterned dark and rye bread, and the warm, shaved meat was deliciously moist and tender. My New York Cut Steak Sandwich was accompanied by disc of blue cheese butter, spicy fries and some of the best onion rings I have ever tasted. The AAA Angus steak was perfectly done medium rare.

The desserts here are HUGE and made for sharing unless you have a gigantic appetite -- the carrot cake is a MUST, and you will agree it's the best carrot cake on this planet.

• cybercutie's Profile Photo

Pancake Breakfasts during Stampede: A Cheap or Homeless Person's Dream Week

by cybercutie Written Jul 9, 2004

For 10 days during stampede, you can be guaranteed to get a free breakfast somewhere in the City, if you are resourceful enough to find out where they are at. Mainly downtown, hundreds of companies put on these breakfasts, with free entertainment, Stampede Queens, and some people taking stacks of food and hoarding it in their purses...true stuff!

Favorite Dish: Anything from the classic bacon and scrambled eggs with pancakes to spiked punch are served at these things, so if you like being herded like cattle carrying a paper plate waiting fro the server to dump some grub on it, you are in for 10 days of glory...

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Calgary

Comments

Calgary Restaurants

Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Calgary has a great range of dining options.  Many of the most popular restaurants are concentrated downtown, on 17th Avenue SW or in Mission (4th Street SW), but other great options exist...