Cold Lake Restaurants

Downtown Cold Lake

Most Recent Restaurants in Cold Lake

Panago: Best Pizza!

by charlenemartel Written Mar 24, 2009

We were advised about 3 great places to have pizza. This was the second of the three and we never got to try the 3rd which says a lot about how much we favour this store.

The service has been great (all but once) and the delivery time is usually estimated to be within 45 minutes to my place. The food always arrives piping hot and thanks to debit at the door, it's a convenient choice for ordering in.

The food is always excellent and you get free dip (though I always order a large jar of their garlic dip since it's really addictive). They have a great selection that is sure to please any customer. The pricing isn't too scary either and they have really basic pizzas (cheese or pepperoni) for those on a tight budget.

Favorite Dish: My personal favourite is their Philadelphia Cheesesteak Pizza while my husband loves their New York Deli with extra cheese. They are both filled with so much flavour and they are always cooked to perfection.

Dairy King: Yum!

by charlenemartel Written Mar 24, 2009

Friends had raved about the food at Dairy King and so, one evening we dropped in to see what was on the menu. The staff were warm and welcoming from the start and the menu showed a wide variety of edible goodies. Since it is so rare to find donairs (well.. good ones) in the area, we opted to try those with some of their fries and a milkshake. The food was well prepared and tasted simply delicious. I had a banana milkshake that I thought was pretty tasty though it wasn't the best I have had. Since then we have tried many things on the menu and they were a godsend when my husband was away on a course. I just had to call, place my order and then sit back and wait. The food is always delivered piping hot and since they accept debit at the door it's a really convenient option when wanting to order in. The prices are reasonable; the food is great most of the time though I will admit to having thought it a little too greasy on occasion.

I can highly recommend their donair, fries, onion rings, garlic toast, and their delicious desserts (warning: the banana split is HUGE). My husband tends to like their Italian offerings and especially their spaghetti. He really didn't care for their lasagne or their pizza. (For pizza, definitely try Panago!)

I ordered a milkshake again but a different flavour and I don't remember which but it tasted almost the same as the banana one. I haven't ordered those again as I like to be able to distinguish different flavours.

Favorite Dish: Me: Donair. The staff are great about making your donair exactly how you like it. I order mine with no lettuce and tomato, and I ask for extra meat. Their garlic sauce is delicious and really compliments the tasty meat.

My husband: Spaghetti.

• charlenemartel's Profile Photo

Dairy Queen: There are better places to eat!

by charlenemartel Written Mar 24, 2009

After seeing the commercial on TV about their great offers, we decided to give our local store a try. The parking lot was pretty iced over but in winter it's expected here. The inside of the store was very clean and impressed me from the start. The staff were busy doing their own thing (which involved standing around holding a mop and chatting with each other and taping black garbage bags onto the legs of one of the staff members.)

We were served by a younger gentleman who might have been new. It took him a while to get the order correct. As we had ordered both hot food (hot dogs, burgers, fries) and cold food (sundae bowl, dipped cone) I was pretty surprised to see the dipped cone served up almost immediately and left there on the counter as it began to melt. I was a little surprised at the cold food being served up first and left to melt that way and commented on it but was told it's how they always do it. It took close to 10 minutes for the hot food to be done and then they served up the sundae bowl. We had to ask for the lid to be included (I don't know how they expected us to get it home without it).

We got out to the vehicle and decided to try the food right away. I found the food to be extremely bland, low quality, and it was also cold. All in all the meal was not enjoyable and I felt it to be a waste of money. There are far better places to eat and it was easy to see why the place was close to empty at lunchtime. (5 customers in all, including myself and my husband).

Just over the road is a Dairy King which has far superior food and service and let's not forget my favourite place to eat in Cold Lake which is A&W.

Favorite Dish: We tried a variety and none were great. I do like DQ Blizzards though.

Backyard BBQ: Home Cooking is Hard to Beat

by Bwana_Brown Written Jul 3, 2006

Enjoying a rear deck BBQ meal

The day after our lakeside swim, we decided to take advantage of the sunny weather by having a traditional Canadian backyard barbeque. Our daughter and son-in-law have a large deck that suited our needs perfectly, and his sister was also on-hand to join in on the festivities.

Favorite Dish: We prepared a whole bunch of brochettes, with half featuring shrimp and the other half chicken cubes. Both had alternating sections of red, green and orange peppers as well as baby tomatoes, mushrooms and chunks of Spanish onion, with the entire combo basted in Teriyaki sauce. Served with rice and a great garden salad, these things were delicious!!

In the late afternoon sky, the half-moon became visible and it was great to haul out Kevin's major telescope to actually see the many craters on it's surface as their shadows were accented by the sun's rays! I was surprised at how fast the moon was moving across the sky as we had to continuously adjust the telescope to keep track of it.

A & W: A Classic Canadian Fast-food Chain

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 3, 2006

Competition for McDonald's

The American & Western (A&W) chain of fast food restaurants was actually started in western Canada 50 years ago, and now spans the country. Their original restaurants were drive-in affairs where you parked your car under large awnings and the food and drinks were brought out to you, served on trays that attached to the roll-down car windows. The speciality was root beer soft drinks served in frosty mugs to go with the typical burger-type meals (Papa, Momma and Baby burgers). I have always found their food to be quite tasty because of the open-flame cooking process.

However, on this occassion, I decided to try their breakfast fare and it was quite good too. The two eggs, bacon, hash-brown potatoes, toast and a mug of coffee only cost US$5.50 and the service was very quick. However, I had to settle for white bread toast instead of my usual whole-wheat, so I'll have to subtract a point for that!

Panago: Great Pizza!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 4, 2004

Downtown Cold Lake

Although we were royally fed by our hosts, we decided to take some of the pressure off by ordering take-out pizza from Panago one night.

This is a chain that I had not heard of or seen before in the far east of Canada, maybe I just lead a secluded life? The bottom line is, I was very impressed with the flavour and quality of their pizzas!

Favorite Dish: We ordered two large pizzas, one vegetarian with all the fixings and the other based on shrimp. These came with a garlic dipping sauce that really added to the flavours. It was enough to make me keep an eye open for them on the remainder of our trip!

Instant Answers: Cold Lake

Comments

Cold Lake Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cold Lake restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cold Lake sightseeing.