Edmonton Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Edmonton

The Mongolie Grill: ~ Fill Your Bowl ~

by RavensWing Written Apr 11, 2014

Welcome to The Mongolie Grill

The Mongolie Grill is a restaurant where you get to channel your Inner Chef. You are given a bowl and then you make your way up to the 'buffet' area to begin to fill your bowl. There is a large assortment of fresh vegetables to choose from; from there you choose what meat - pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, and more - to add to your bowl. Then you get to the sauce area. There's a chart over the sauces recommending how much sauce to add to your bowl depending on how full it is. A full bowl is at least 5 scoops of your sauce. You can even mix up your sauces if you wish. The chef weighs your bowl to know how much to charge you and asks you at this time what type of rice you would like - white, jasmine or coconut. You let him know what table you are at and it is made fresh on the flatop grill.

Your meal includes soup also - the waitress will let you know what the daily soups are.

The bowls are charged like this
    Entrees Priced by Weight (/100g)
    Meat / Seafood Entrée $2.59
    Vegetarian Entrée $2.07 (20% off)
    Take-Out Meat / Seafood Entrée $2.33 (10% off)
    Take-Out Vegetarian Entrée $1.94 (25% off)
    Lunch Meat / Seafood Entrée $1.94 (25% off)
    Lunch Vegetarian Entrée $1.68 (35% off)

Favorite Dish: A favorite dish is hard to pick since each time I go back I pick different vegetables and meats. They all taste delicious.

Fife n Dekel: ~ Freshest Sandwiches - Great Pies ~

by RavensWing Written Apr 2, 2014

Fife N Dekel

There are four Fife n Dekel restaurants in Edmonton. I have been in the Edmonton West location many times. Fife n Dekel is a 'custom made sandwich' Pie Shop Cafe.

There is a variety of custom made sandwiches on the menu The bread for the sandwiches is made fresh daily. There is a variety of toppings to put on your sandwich.

If you're not in the mood for a freshly made sandwich they also have fresh soups and salads for you to choose from. Don't forget about dessert! They make the most delicious pies, cookies and cherry cheese cream puffs. You have the option to have a slice of pie or the entire pie.

You're food is placed on styrofoam plates and bowls, plastic spoons and forks. Everything is wrapped to go whether you choose to take out your meal or sit down at one of the tables.

Each month there is a different bakery item that is guaranteed for purchased all month long.

The staff is always friendly and very efficient. They have the assembly line for building your meal down pat.

**NOTE**
    This places is always extremely busy at lunchtime. It would be advisable to try to get there a few minutes before noon. Otherwise you'll end up in a long line up.

Their hours for the Edmonton West location are:
    Mon -Fri 7:00am - 4:30pm
    Sat 10:00am - 3:00pm

Please check the official website for the hours of the other locations.

Favorite Dish: I love the Montreal Smoked sandwich on multigrain bread with alfalfa sprouts, havarti cheese, cucumber, red onions, mayo and mustard.

When they have the cherry cheese tarts I always buy a box. They don't last very long in my house. Unfortunately they are one of the monthly specials so you have to be on the look out for which month they are out.

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

Soda Jerks: Make My Own Burger?

by RavensWing Updated Dec 26, 2013

Main Entrance

Soda Jerks is a causal dining restaurant. When you get to your table there is a sheet of paper on the table and this is so if you choose to order a burger, you build your own burger. Which I did.

First You choose one patty -Beef Patty, Turkey Patty, Chicken Breast, Crispy Chicken Tenders, Buffalo Chicken Tenders, Beer Battered Fish, Veggie Patty, BBQ Pulled Pork, Dawg

Next choose one bun - Multigrain Bun, Gluten Free Bun, Sourdough Bread, Eggo Waffles, Pretzel Bun, Hot Dog Bun, Make it a Salad- on a bed of lettuce

Now Load it up with Sauces - Mayo, Ketchup,Bacon Mayo, Relish, Chipotle Mayo, Cajun Spice, Garlic Mayo, Tzatziki, Siracha Mayo, Tartar, Yellow Mustard, Vinaigrette, Honey Mustard, Italian, Dijon Mustard, 1000 Island, Root Beer BBQ, Ranch

Choose one free cheese - Mozza Swiss, Cheddar Jalapeno Jack, Processed Blue Cheese, Havarti, Brie, Herbed Goat, Smoked Gouda

First Four Free - Mixed Greens, Pickles, Lettuce, Onion Rings, Tomato, Bacon, Red Onion, Sour Cream, Fried Egg, Salsa, Black Olives, Banana Peppers Cucumber, Potato Chips, Jalapenos, Corned Beef,
    Coleslaw, Maple Syrup, Gin & Bacon Sauerkraut, Roasted Red Peppers, ​Peanut Butter, Strawberry Jam, Buffalo Onion Rings, Sautéed Onions.

Then I ordered a milkshake to go with my meal. They have 21 different flavors for milkshakes, it can be so hard to choose only one. I had the chocolate banana and it was different but ok. I will have to try a different one when I go back again.

Favorite Dish: My favorites dish was the BYOB burger and the milkshake.

Japanese Village: Cooked Right In Front of You

by RavensWing Written Dec 26, 2013
    Japanese Village

Japanese Village has served succulent steaks, fresh seafood and flavorful vegetables. They use the best ingredients available, including AAA Alberta beef. Dishes are expertly prepared right before your eyes at the legendary Teppan Grills. Experience the "Chop, Chop, Sizzle" at Japanese Village where the tradition of quality continues. It is truly "A Celebration for The Senses"

The average cost of a meal is $25. Then any drinks you have.

Favorite Dish: My favorite starter is Yaki Yaki Shrimp - A must have extra helping of tasty Black Tiger Shrimp.

My favorite dish is Chicken Teriyaki - Flawless morsels of grilled tender chicken glazed with tasty Teriyaki Sauce.

Jubilations Dinner Theater: Dinner and a side of Laughter

by RavensWing Updated Nov 17, 2013

Entrance to Jubilations

Jubilations is a dinner theater that has been around for 18+ years. It is in the West Edmonton Mall on the second floor near the Casino entrance.

Each show features three acts, with a four-course meal served in between. You’ll start with soup and salad then Act 1 begins. Lights up! The wait staff start bringing out the amazing entrees. You will have had to choose between one of four entrees - Prime Rib, Chicken, Fish or Vegetarian - while you were dining on your salad and soup. The lights dim again and Act 2 is on it's way. Once it's finished the lights come on and the wait staff are coming for your supper dishes and preparing to serve your delicious dessert. Again you will have chosen one of two delectable desserts at the beginning of the evening. Along with coffee and tea.
    NOTE - all of the above is covered in your ticket price. Your cocktails, wine, shooters and liquid dessert is NOT included in the ticket price.

The menus change with each performance - If you check the menu for the show 'Elvis and the Lost Hangover' the starters are 'The Gangster' soup and the 'The Las Vegas Strip Salad'. If you wish to see the menu for the "On Stage Now'" play go to the Jubilations main page and beside the "On Stage Now" there is a button to see the Menu. You may also see the playbill which will show you the actors/actresses and give you a little more background to the story. The greatest part of the playbill is that it shows you the prices of the cocktails, wine, shooters and liquid dessert so that you know how much cash to bring with you. Yes Jubilations does accept debit and credit cards BUT if you have cash you can leave it in the billfold and just hand it to a waitress instead of waiting for everyone using the machine to pay for it. Gets you out the door faster. Just my little tip I learned going to many of these shows.

The themes of their shows are often based on popular TV shows or movies or sometimes just eras. All the waiters and waitresses are in dressed in character. They never break character and sometimes they might even pull you into the show itself, or grab you for a dance in the aisle. I hope you're not the shy kind because I think they look for those first! You can say no of course and they will move onto another person---> eventually.

They also have call people up who have birthdays and anniversaries. This is done between the Acts and usually when they are picking up your dishes. Those who are celebrating these events are called to the stage where you will perform. Insert red cheeks here! Usually for the birthday people they make you do the chicken dance. With the anniversaries I've seen them make them dance like at their wedding and also hold the longest kiss too. You just never know. Each participant is given a signed card from the cast.

I have been to many of the shows - Once I can remember off the top of my head is Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, Mel's Diner. There's one I can't remember and it would be the only one I didn't have as much fun as the others and that is only because I hadn't seen the original show so had no reference point to go on to see how the show even went.

The cost of the dinner is
    Wed, Thurs, Sun - $64.95 per person
    Fri & Sat - $74.95 per person
    Unless your party is over 10 people then you can get a 25% discount $48.95 and $56.95

Favorite Dish: The Prime Rib is my favorite meal, skip the horse radish. Thankfully they bring that in a separate container so you have the option. It's served with roast garlic mashed potatoes, pan gravy and seasonal vegetables.

While these aren't my favorites I've tried them
    Chicken- Sundried cranberry and ricotta stuffed chicken breast with herb gravy, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and season vegetables. -- This one was ok, but I found the chicken to be dry and not enough gravy to hide that fact.

Salmon - Poached Salmon with tomato mandarin orange salsa, saffron rice pilaf and seasonal fresh vegetables. Was quite good, but the prime rib still was the best

Vegetarian - Mushroom Stroganoff - egg noodles smothered in rich vegetarian gravy and topped with sour cream does not sound very appetizing to me. I've passed on almost all the vegetarian dishes.

• Seniors
    • Theater Travel

• jsob1949's Profile Photo

Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory: Night Out

by jsob1949 Written Nov 13, 2013

My wife and I decided to have dinner here. Our 5:30 reservation ensured a fairly quiet room and attentive service and we got that! We started with a Caesar salad which was quite good maybe just a little too cold to truly savor all the different tastes associated with this salad. My wife had the Chicken cordon bleu with Black forest ham, smoked Gruyère cheese, wild mushroom marsala sauce, garlic mashed potatoes and I had Cedar Plank Salmon with Oven roasted, Quebec maple butter, pecans, truffle buttered pappardelle pasta. Both arrived in a timely fashion and both plates were hot a nice touch. Both dishes were well presented and tasted as good as they looked. Excellent service and good food resulted in a pleasant and enjoyable evening out.

Favorite Dish: Surf & Turf

Joey: Food is So Good I Don't Know if I Can Be Full

by RavensWing Updated Nov 10, 2013

The Indoor Patio

Joey's is a premium casual dining restaurant. The service is fantastic. Our server came take our order and she came to check on us at just the right time intervals ~ not too often that she might as well sat with us and not so little that we had to wait for anything.

There are three main areas to be seated. You may choose the Lounge which is located on the left side of the restaurant as you walk through the doors. You may choose the Dining Room, or the Indoor Patio. The Indoor Patio has huge doors that roll up in the summer time so you can enjoy your meal with a cool summer breeze. The Indoor Patio also had a beautiful water piece ~ I'm not sure if it's a pool or a pond, but it's stunning to be able to sit next to it. There is a fully stocked bar in both the Lounge and Indoor Patio ~ in the Dining Room there is a Wine Rack with dozens of choices.

The food was absolutely delicious. Everything we ordered was so delicious.

You may wonder what you should wear to a premium casual restaurant. Well if you want to go in wearing your jeans and t-shirt, that will be fine. If you wish to put on your little black dress and the men a shirt and tie with dress pants, that will be accepted too. You will feel comfort and welcome either way.

Favorite Dish: As quoted by my sister at dinner "The food is so good I don't know if I can be full"

Our favorites tonight were:

Szechuan Edamame ~ Wok tossed edamame beans with chilies, garlic, soy sauce. Sprinkled with black and white poppyseeds.

Chili Chicken ~ Tempura style chicken with cool cucumbers in a chili sauce. Just the right amount of sauce so as to keep the chicken crispy

Spinach & Artichoke dip ~ Warm corn tortilla chips served with a jalapeno salsa. The dip is rich and was a little thin tonight. The salsa was SO delicious it was sad that it came in such a small bowl.

French Dip ~ A slow cooked prime rib (comes rare but you can ask for it to be cooked medium if rare is too much) comes on a house made roll and the most delicious au jus.

Tony's Pizza Palace: Original New York Pie

by RavensWing Written Oct 30, 2013

Great New York Pie!

Tony's Pizza has been serving the Edmonton area for over 25 years. They serve the most delicious Original New York Style Pie (I always ask for some garlic on my pie and it's delicious). This pizza only comes in one size Extra Large. Guess they like to do it big in NY.

They have eat in or pick up, they don't deliver - that's the only negative for me, you have to drive to get your pizza so don't forget to order it and pick it up on your way home.

The nights when the Oilers or the Eskimos are playing - you might as well forget dining in. The place it packed during every game.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the Insalata di Pomodori, a traditional Italian salad with dressing, roma tomatoes and onions.

I also like the Scaloppini al Marsala, the veal is cooked to perfection and there is a lot of mushrooms in the sauce. I usually order this when I go.

For pick up (because I have to share this with my family) it's 2 Original New York Pies with added garlic.

Bacon: Modern home cooking

by Karlie85 Updated Mar 25, 2013

bison burger

**NOW CLOSED**

Bacon has a wonderful philosophy: "There are two things in life worth leaving your front door for: one of them being good, wholesome food, and the other being good, decent company" They manage to turn this philosophy into reality in a very inviting, delicious way. The restaurant itself is quite tiny, with only a handful of tables and a few stools at a counter. The decor is comforting and relaxing. As soon as you walk in you can see the kitchen to the right, and you could stand there and watch them (if you wanted to). The only downside to this is that the room gets very warm, so don't wear a sweater! The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful, and you know they're sincere.

The food is like modern twists on familiar dishes. Check out the menu on their website.

I could go on and on about how wonderful this restaurant is, so you should check it out or, again, at least read their website! Not only is their food delicious, but their attitudes are positive and they are very community oriented, local food oriented... I could go on!

"Bacon specializes in locally sourced ingredients to create inventive, healthy and sumptuous meals." - from their Facebook group

Favorite Dish: I visited Bacon in a party of 4, and we all ended up having the same main course, but I'll start with the appetizer. Me and my husband shared the poutine, but this is not your average poutine. There's is made with roasted potato & yam with feta & toasted sesame gravy. A very interesting combo, one that I quite enjoyed.

For our main course we all had the bison burger, with molasses butter, remoulade, onion and Havarti on sesame bun served with salad or three perogies & sour cream. Half of us had the salad and half of us had the perogies, and everything was great! The burger was so thick I could barely get my mouth around it.

Afghan Chopan Kebab House: Afghan Chopan Kebab House

by Karlie85 Written Mar 25, 2013

We dropped in on a Friday night around 6pm. There were no other customers, but more and more people came over the hour we were there, which was nice to see. I think the decor was basic but there were nice touches. The seating and tables were plain, but there was some absolutely beautiful Afghan art all around the restaurant.

There are only six items on the menu, and since we hadn't visited before, we went for the $35 platter to share to get a taste of everything they have to offer. We also had a "small" order of delicious, fragrant, complex Afghan rice, which was an additional $10. The platter was massive and came with five different meats, chicken and beef. The chicken kebab was my favourite - amazingly tender. But everything was good. There was a big heap of salad in the middle, too. And I can't forget about the great, gigantic piece of Afghan bread that came with everything. The total was $48 before tip and we got four meals out of it. Not bad!

I should note that I don't think they serve alcohol there. I probably wouldn't have noticed unless I overheard a man asking if they had a house wine and the waiter said no. I then noticed that there is a physical bar, but there was mostly pomegranate juice behind it. I didn't see alcohol anywhere or a drinks menu.

As for service, I found it to be good. The man who came to our table was also, I'm assuming, the cook as he was going between the dining area and the kitchen. He was always smiling, asking us if everything was alright, and just generally a nice guy. The wait time for the food wasn't long, I think about 15 minutes. I wasn't keeping track.

There was only one downside to the restaurant, and it's not something I usually comment on, but I have to. The bathroom was probably the dirtiest, messiest bathroom I've seen in North America. When I walked in there was a huge painting laying on the floor in front of the stalls. There were paper towels everywhere and things knocked over. There were only two stalls and both of the toilets were just gross. One of them was unusable. I'm not sure why it was in such a state, but I really hope this was just a bizarre situation and not the norm.

All in all, I would still consider this place to be a hidden gem and you should definitely check it out. 4.5/5

• DSwede's Profile Photo

B's Diner: Homemade Ukrainian Food's

by DSwede Updated Aug 3, 2011

I had lots of Ukrainian foods while living in Edmonton. Many restaurants have selections or a few items that are Polish/Ukrainian. A lots of places have perogies for example.

One place now does come to mind. Its not fancy, not trendy, but does have some good stuff. It is called "B's Diner".

Favorite Dish: The soups, sausages, perogies... the menu is not large, but everything I had was good.

• Babcia's Profile Photo

Now that we're here where should we eat???: The Constantly Changing Dining Scene in Edmonton

by Babcia Updated Jul 17, 2011

The restaurant scene in Edmonton is highly variable - subject to the booms and busts of the economy - and so reviews from even a few months ago may no longer hold true.

For anyone looking to dine in Edmonton (and I have to admit that I have a bias for fine dining, and the centrally located plus University area and west side restaurants), here are my recommended suggestions for July 2011:

VERY FINE DINING

Packrat Louie's
    d'Lish
    4th and Vine
    Allegro

For more information and menus, just Google the name of the restaurant plus "Edmonton".

Characters, Hardware Grill and Zinc are in the city centre area (Zinc is in the new Art Gallery of Edmonton).
    Packrat Louie's is in the very popluar Strathcona area.
    Allegro, d'Lish and 4th and Vine are west of the downtown area.

Favorite Dish: Too numerous to mention!!!

• Wine Tasting

CONTINENTAL TREAT: Fine dining with a Polish flair

Polish eagle

Enjoy a fine dining experience, complete with white tablecloths and burgundy napkins, surrounded by antique furnishings and Polish accents, and the soft sounds of a Chopin mazurka in this Central European establishment in the Old Strathcona area of southside Edmonton.
    The food is consistently tasty and well prepared, there is a good selection of fine wines, European beers, and of course vodka.
    The appetizers including such interesting dishes such as Steak à la Tartare (raw beef!!!!), Pickle Soup (mmmm!! much better than it sounds), and Flaczki (Polish tripe soup - only for the culinarily adventurous!!). There are two long pages of entrees to choose from, so the most dificult job is to narrow it down to the one dish that tempts you most. The portions are light at lunchtime and generous for dinner. Abd there is a delectable selection of tortes for dessert.
    A window table will let you indulge in some people watching on Edmonton's trendy Whyte Avenue.

Favorite Dish: The Kielbasy Slaskie (Polish sausage) and the Polish Cutlets are the closest thing to homemade that you will find in a restaurant anywhere - very tasty and very filling - but easy on the budget!!

UPDATE January 2007 - there's a new menu at Continental Treat, but the old favourites are still available, and there are some new entrees too - the pierogi with sauerkraut and mushrooms are scrumptious!!!!

UPDATE July 2011 - the menus have changed once again, fewer items on it, and the prices have gone up. Food is still fine but they could use a few new approaches to the veggies that they serve with the entrees.

• Babcia's Profile Photo

IL FORNO RISTORANTE: The next best thing to Italy!!!

Let's cook!!

This unpretentious restaurant in Edmonton's west end serves wonderful oven baked ("il forno") pizzas and mouth watering pasta dishes at reasonable prices, all of which you can wash down with some fine Italian wines. This casual eatery is subtly decorated, the ambience is wonderfully warm and friendly as the proprietor circulates among all the tables welcoming all who dine at his place.
    The salads are fresh and lightly dressed, the selection of pasta sauces is marvellous, there are also specials of the day that include risottos, veal and fish. This is a perfect place to unwind at the end of a busy day or hectic week of work!!

UPDATE January 2007 - unfortunately the original owner of Il Forno SOLD IT!!!, the restaurant is still there, but whether the food and ambience will live up to its previous standards is a BIG question.

UPDATE July 2011 - the new owners neglected to keep up the standard of the food; I would now rate this restaurant as very average and comparable to chain restaurants serving Italian food (mostly pasta). Pity!!

Favorite Dish: The pastas range from the basic tomato and basil sauce Napoletana to the spicier Calabrese, complete with homemade Italian sausage. The seafood pastas are especially delicious. Antipasti plates, calamari and cozze alla marinara (mussels with white wine and tomatoes) and Insalata tricolore are perfect starters, while the risotto with scampi, scallops and crab, or the vitello al lemone (veal with lemon) are hearty entrees. For dessert save room for gelato.

Koutouki: Greek delight

by Karlie85 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Stepping into Koutouki is like stepping into another world. White walls accented with blue, covered with pictures of family and friends throughout time. Plants hanging from the ceiling and Greek music playing a little loudly from the speakers throughout. The hostess will lead you through the narrow restaurant to your table. (There are three locations; I am referring to the one of the south side)
    Koutouki offers a large selection of delicious Greek appetizers and a moderate offering of main dishes. Perhaps something that is special to their restaurant compared to other Greek restaurants in the city is Yianni's Meze, which is approximately 12 dishes for $33. Be advised, this has to be ordered for 2 or more, and 2 people cannot just share one.
    I have a lot of friends who also love this restaurant. The food is delicious every time and the experience pleasant.
    I have not yet experiences this, but Koutouki features belly dancers (who will encourage you to dance with them) and plate smashing.
    Koutouki is a family run restaurant, owned by the Psalios family, many of whom work at the restaurants.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken souvlaki, which was served on a pita with santziki and onion, Greek salad and potatoes. Very filling, but just the right amount! Delicious. $22

Instant Answers: Edmonton

Comments

Edmonton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Edmonton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Edmonton sightseeing.