Fun things to do in Edmonton

Cuddly Polar Bears
    Secret Kids Shop
    Some of the Trees on Display

Most Viewed Things to Do in Edmonton

• Hanau93's Profile Photo

DEVONIAN BOTANICAL GARDENS

by Hanau93 Updated Aug 5, 2006

A variety of gardens with different themes. It's a great way to relax away from the big city. I really enjoyed the Japanese Garden which was inaugurated way back when by Her Imperial Highness Princess Sayako of Japan. There is also a Japanese Tea House for refreshmets.The Alpine Gardens are just as lovely and have also been used for weddings from people in my church.
    What is new is a little display for the children at the touch and feel garden and a neat little maze.
    The cost is $ 10.50 for adults and it's worth it. We spent about 3 hours in the gardens.

Hours: July 12-Aug 27: 10 am to 9 PM
    Aug 28- 0ct. 9 : 10 am to 6 PM
    Oct.10- Dec. 3 : 11 AM to 4 PM

Pagoda at Kurimoto Japanese Garden Alpine Garden The Maze

Lake Louise

Lake Louise

Lake Louise, with its blue-green water set against the stark backdrop of Victoria Glacier, is probably the most beloved and photographed scene in the Canadian Rockies. In 1882, guided by a Stoney Indian, Tom Wilson became the first white man to discover what the natives called 'Lake of Little Fishes'. He named his discovery Emerald Lake, but it was later changed in honour of Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Heaven on Earth? Believe it...

• Hiking and Walking

• Magnum_P.I.'s Profile Photo

Parting of the Waters, Great Divide...

Parting of the Waters, Great Divide

How many creeks do you know of that split, with each fork reaching a separate ocean, 4500 kilometers apart. Divide Creek forks on the boundary between Pacific and Atlantic watersheds, commonly called the Great Divide. Water in the left fork will flow into the Pacific Ocean. Water in the right fork will flow into the Atlantic Ocean.

• Hiking and Walking

Jasper National Park

Jasper National Park

Jasper's combination of wildlife, startlingly blue-green mountain lakes, soaring peaks and broad forested valleys ranks it as one of the world's premiere national parks. The park's distance from large urban centres and its relatively intact ecology create a special sense of 'early days in the Rockies.' Come discover this virgin land in a world of concrete and chaos! You will never want to leave.

• National/State Park

Miette Hotsprings

Miette Hotsprings

The steam, the warmth, the soothing mineral-rich waters. There are two man-made pools which are fed by sulphur hot spring. The water temperatures are kept a comfortable 103 degrees F.

• Spa and Resort

• planxty's Profile Photo

A decent, friendly sports bar

by planxty Written Jul 4, 2015

I have mentioned on tips elsewhere about my general aversion to retail therapy and shopping centres / malls although I was rather impressed by the West Edmonton Mall which forms the basis of a separate tip here. Places like this just tend to make me thirsty although as my late Mother once remarked to me just about anything makes me thirsty! So it was that when my friend RavenswwWing (Lynne had to go and meet her delightful sister and unbelievably cute little niece that I would take the opportunity to explore "Bourbon Street" which is the main drag for food and drink outlets in the centre although there are other food outlets elsewhere.

For no particular reason I picked Hudsons Canadian Tap House and it turned out to be a decent choice. I wandered in and took my usual position at the bar (I like to be close to the action!) and ordered a white beer from the very friendly and polite barman who served me with an obviously well-kept pint very promptly. On a weekday afternoon it was not overly busy and I started to watch a game in the women's football (soccer) World Cup which was coincidentally being played a scant few miles away in the Edmonton Eskimos stadium.

As I was doing this my fairly pronounced Northern Ireland accent prompted a conversation with the barman mentioned and , as often happens, talk turned to beer. When it came time for a refill he suggested I might like to try the "house" wiessbier and gave me a sample which tasted just fine so I had one of those. He didn't have to do it as it was on some sort of promotion or whatever and was cheaper than the one I had been drinking happily enough which I thought was decent of him. A swift pint of that and it was time to move, well I couldn't leave the others outside as they are very strict in Canada about children in bars.

Should you fancy a bite to eat with your drink there is full menu featuring the usual suspects and even have a bison shepherd's pie although that sounds like a complete oxymoron to me. When was the last time you saw a shepherd (the clue is in the word here - herder of sheep) herding bison? Whatever they call it, I wouldn't mind giving it a go some time.

Hudson's is a chain and I am not normally a huge fan of chain bars but this didn't really feel like one and I didn't even feel like I was in one of the dreaded shopping centres. There is not much more I can tell you other than it is a pleasant and tidy sports bar with well-kept beer and efficient staff and that is really all I require. For those harassed males who have been dragged to the Mall and just cannot face another shoe shop, this is a great little bolt hole!

Recommended.

Hudsons Canadian Tap House, West Edmonton Mall.
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Alphons's Profile Photo

We are now in Bear Country.

by Alphons Updated Aug 26, 2004

We are now in Bear Country.And every where you come there are warnings for the dangerous of bears.

Bear Country.

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Tower On The Park
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Edmonton

Comments

Edmonton Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Edmonton locals.
Map of Edmonton