Hikes /Trails, Jasper National Park

Jasper National Park

• Hanau93's Profile Photo

Mount Edith Cavell

by Hanau93 Updated Dec 1, 2011

Beautiful drive with great vistas. Make sure you take the non paved path up to the glacier lake as the paved path has quite an incline. Another couple that was much younger than us had to sit down with us as we though the oxygen masks were coming down any moment. The views are amazing though, angel glacier is close by.
    The mountain is named after a brave British nurse who helped save many lives during the First World War.

• Mountain Climbing

• RockiesTraveler's Profile Photo

Maligne Canyon Trail

by RockiesTraveler Written Sep 5, 2007

The 4th or 5th bridge entrance.

This is one of my favourite photo taking trails. Lots of greenery and water shots. It is more beautiful if you hike in the opposite direction than intended i.e. start at the last bridge and head towards the first. We were greeted by two young elk upon arrival. One ran ahead of us across the suspension bridge, the other more timid swam across the river. It was neat!

• Adventure Travel

• RockiesTraveler's Profile Photo

Angel Glacier and Mount Edith Cavell/Meadows Trail

by RockiesTraveler Updated Sep 5, 2007

Checking out the icebergs...take your pick!

Do you want to see an iceberg? An absolute must! I loved this trail. I found this tip by lucky accident while visiting another travel website and it was suggested as one of the top 10 must sees in the Banff/Jasper NPs. It took us all day to do the Mount Edith/Cavell Meadows trail, but I like to linger and absorb nature a lot. It takes about 3 hrs to hike the full Angel Glacier Viewpoint/Cavell Meadows Loop (if you don't linger I suppose). To see the glacier its about 2 miles (3.2km) hike from the parking lot. To see the meadows you continue past this view point. Suposed to be the most photogenic spot in Jasper.

• Adventure Travel

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Horseshoe lake ... a wonderful walk ....

by kymbanm Updated Nov 2, 2006

The pier that washed away ...

Before leaving Hinton for the park, I talked with the Visitor Center folk ... THEY insisted I add this little walk to my itinerary today .... and boy, am I grateful they did!

Horseshoe lake has a small pull out on the east side of Hwy93 ... no room for larger campers or tour coaches .... PERFECT.

I wandered onto the main trail from the parking lot and at the bottom of the lake, I came to a fork ..... hmmmmmm. The trail is there, the stairs and bridges are there, but there is not a trail sign to be seen, and some sections of trail are far from obvious. The lake itself is cliff lined and a considerable amount of the trail crosses exposed rock slabs along the lake's shore.

I chose the left fork, which turned out to be the least cared for path, but so fun as I crawled up and about the rocky cliffs along the lake's circumfrence.

From my upper vantage point, it appeared that the right fork takes one along the other bank of the lake and further away than I went on my walk.

Either choice works in my opinion ... the lake is beautiful, not many folks about, the water is soooooooo clear ....... you can even see the canoe launch which washed away from shore about 10 years ago .....

• slidenhs's Profile Photo

Tonquin Valley Hike or Horseback

by slidenhs Updated Apr 30, 2006

Ride or Hike to Moat Lake

Tonquin Valley Backcountry Lodge, Fishing, Hiking, Photo and Horseback Rideing. Most important is the isolation. The stars are right in your face on a clear night. It is an unforgetable experiance that you will never forget. See Travelogues as well.

• Horse Riding

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

See how the Maligne River has shaped the canyon

by scottishvisitor Written Aug 4, 2005

Maligne Canyon

The river has carved her path creating a 50 meter gorge through solid limestone. Follow the story of this magnificent place from the first 4 bridges which cross the river, the last 2 bridges have no information but still worth the steep climb down.
    There is a good restaurant, cafeteria, gift shop & art gallery located near the car park

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Take a chilly walk on the Athabasca Glacier

by scottishvisitor Updated Aug 2, 2005

Colubian Icefields

You can have a pleasant walk to the foot of the glacier. Stand back & marvel on a glorious summer day & then think how cold am I? Seriously cold - but worth the shivers if only to imagine what it used to be like before its gradual but relentless retreat.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Bush walking

by K.Knight Written Jul 8, 2004

Rack of Elk.

Heading out of Jasper township, toward Edmonton, we took a track and went for a walk with a trainee ranger we met at the "pub" the night before. He showed us these elk remains. It had been hit by a train and was thrown about 6 meters from the tracks. The racks are almost 1.8 m (6 feet) tall.

Instant Answers: Jasper National Park

Comments

View all Jasper National Park hotels