Places to eat in Lake Louise

by Mikebb
  • Restaurants
    by sinjabc
  • Big, gooey Laggan's cranberry choc chip cookies
    Big, gooey Laggan's cranberry choc chip...
    by madamx

Most Viewed Restaurants in Lake Louise

Laggan's

by madamx Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are lineups at this place from opening to closing and a constant feeling of controlled chaos. Laggan's is where everyone goes; from locals to the loads of tourists coming off the bus. Whoever goes here has to agree -- for a quick sandwich or treat Laggan's is the place.

It seems like it's always busy here; however, the counter is set up in a way that there are three serving areas, and they move things along as efficiently as possible; service is very pleasant, but brisk to get as many people through as possible.

Your choices are written on the overhead board, but pointing to what you want in the large display cases that run down the length of the narrow room is okay, too. The L-shaped dining room holds about 30 people; and the quietest (though still very busy) time is about 4 p.m.

Favorite Dish: Don't miss out on the cranberry chocolate chip cookies, get your sandwich made on one of their cheese buns, and the brownies and coconut lemon squares hit the spot. This is a great place to get a brown-bag lunch for your hike. Definitely one of the cheapest eats in Lake Louise, besides the store at the PetroCanada Gas Station!

Just a note, they take only cash or traveller's cheques.

Big, gooey Laggan's cranberry choc chip cookies

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Laggan's Mountain Bakery & Deli: Food For Travellers On The Go

by Mikebb Written Dec 8, 2007

We were looking for a place for lunch after visiting Lake Louise and on our way to Moraine Lake. We found the Samson Mall a few km after leaving LL and decided to stop for lunch.

There were a number of restaurants and cafes open but we chose Laggans as it had a great choice, the food looked good and there were plenty of tables. This bakery is very popular but service is fast , the food is excellent and prices reasonable. We enjoyed freshly made sandwiches and biscuits, both very nice. Prices were reasonable $22.65 for the 2 of us.

Laggan's Bakery & Deli

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

HI-Lake Louise: Locals told me it was good

by GentleSpirit Written Oct 2, 2007

Talking to several people around town they all recommended the restaurant as both good food and very reasonable price. They were right on both counts

Located in the Hostelling International-Lake Louise Alpine Center. a very nice building with nice bright feel and alpine construction. The dining room is located on the ground floor and appears to be frequented by locals regularly.

Service was attentive, prompt, a mite casual and very good all around.

I have had both breakfast and dinner here. Generally I found the serving size a bit on the large side, though not excessively so. Particularly nice after a long day hiking.

prices extremely reasonable for Lake Louise

Favorite Dish: They had a dish pepper steak in some spices on a bed of pasta,,,,,very nice

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

Snowshoe Cafe: Skip the cafe in the Moraine Lake Lodge

by sinjabc Written Aug 20, 2006

While visiting Moraine Lake, we tried the Snowshoe Cafe beneath the Moraine Lake Lodge. It was unimpressive. It serves overpriced hot beverages and food that are basic and bland.

We got hot chocolate that cost us almost $4 each and came out of a machine. Everything was overpriced. Skip this place!

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

Laggan's Mountain Bakery and Deli: Great place for breakfast or lunch

by sinjabc Written Aug 20, 2006

We went to Laggan's for breakfast before driving north on the Icefields Parkway. We grabbed a couple of Western egg breakfast buns. I also ordered a soy chai latte. It was the best one I have had in a long time. We also purchased a loaf of sourdough bread that was baked fresh that day.

There are also many other food items for lunch including sausage rolls and lasagna.

There was a slight lineup in the morning, but it moved quickly and was worth it. Friendly and polite staff.

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo

Chateau Deli: A quick bite to eat

by adventerrtravel22 Written Mar 29, 2005

Staying in this area there is much to do and sometimes you don't want to waste too much time getting dressed up to have a sit down dinner. The perfect stop is the Chateau Deli. The have everything a typical deli would have. If you are from NYC like me and are spolied don't expect hot foods like chicken parm. They do have Ziti and sauce but I don't recommend. They have nice sandwiches.

Favorite Dish: I ate here one night and had pasta. I was not too impressed with it. They do have delicious looking sandwiches.

Bill Peyto's Cafe

by madamx Updated Jan 19, 2005

This cafe is located in the HI Lake Louise Hostel, and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Like the rest of the hostel, the cafe has a very nice atmosphere, with modern rustic decor, and the staff are very friendly and easy-going. Service is cafeteria-style and they offer simple dishes such as burgers and fries, pizza, that sort of thing. There usually is a hot dish available for lunch and dinner. Some tables are located outside if you want to enjoy the view with your food.

Favorite Dish: The quality of food is satisfactory, and it's inexpensive, and beats making your own food in the often-crowded kitchens at the hostel.

I had a burger and it was okay, nothing special. The fries, though, were greasy pan-fried potatoes which I did not enjoy, though my dining companions thought they were okay. My husband had a burrito, which he thought was pretty good. I have heard the breakfasts are excellent, though I have never had breakfast there.

mmm pizza mmm

Lake Louise Station

by madamx Updated Jan 17, 2005

Lake Louise Station is actually the old train station that was built in 1910 to bring visitors to Lake Louise. When train travel became not as popular, the station fell into disrepair and was, for the large part, forgotten. In 1994, the building was purchased and turned into a restaurant.

Stop by even if you aren't going to eat, as the building itself is quite interesting. There is a small gift shop at the back where you can purchase some Canadian Pacific train memorabilia and other gift items.

The former main lobby is now the dining area, and they have left much of the original architecture intact. They also had vintage pictures and other items displayed which were quite interesting to see.There is also dining in two vintage railway cars, but I do believe this is only for dinner, and we had stopped by for lunch. Lunch tends to be better value, with the restaurant going quite upscale in the evenings.

Service could have been better, as it was extremely slow, only quickening up when we were nearing the end of the meal, maybe in expectation of a tip. We were two out of the four people in the dining room. Often, I could see our waiter hanging out near the front of the dining room, looking sullen and bored, and when he finally came over, he pasted on a fake smile and attitude for us. However, the quality of the meal was good, and I would return.

Favorite Dish: The food here is quite good; I had a caesar salad and a club sandwich and both were very well prepared, fresh and tasted great. The salad wasn't drowning in heavy dressing as some caesars tend to be. My husband had a burger, and he thought it was excellent. We also really enjoyed getting up and looking at the old photos in our dining area, as being late afternoon, it was virtually empty.

www.cpr.ca

Chateau Deli

by madamx Updated Jan 17, 2005

The Deli is basically a kiosk on the main level of the hotel, and don't go expecting pleasant service. The young gentleman manning the deli seemed disgruntled; I can only speculate it was the first day of skiing at the Lake Louise ski resort, and he couldn't go. The big drawing card is that this place is open 24 hours a day, and handy if you get a little peckish around midnight.

The Chateau Deli has some suprisingly good quality food that is prepackaged for you, or you can sit at one of the tables and eat. They serve pretty simple stuff, such as sandwiches, soups, muffins, and have a hot dish ready to go, such as beef stew or lasagne.

Favorite Dish: The food is of excellent quality, for a deli kiosk, and we were pleasantly surprised. The sandwiches we purchased were very expensive -- $8.00, but were extremely large and I could only eat half.

My husband thought the beef stew was very good, obviously simmered for hours. All in all, if you are looking for a snack or a simple meal, try this place out.

Eat at the deli, and you'll have $ for this suite

Poppy Brasserie

by madamx Written Jan 17, 2005

If staying in the hotel, this is the only place besides room service, that you can get breakfast. The advantage is that it opens very early, so if you want to get a head start on the day, this is great.

The Poppy Brasserie also serves lunch and dinner, but we have only had the breakfast here.

The dining room is decorated in a rustic manner with pine furniture and printed curtains and is quite cheery and pleasant. Service is ok, but you are made to feel like a number, which happens frequently at this hotel.

Favorite Dish: The full breakfast buffet is very good and has all the basics -- scrambled eggs, bacon, all sorts of breads and bagels, cold and hot cereals and pastries, giving you a hearty start to your day. Coffee and juice are included.

Glacier Saloon

by madamx Written Jan 17, 2005

If you are quickly emptying your pockets on your deluxe suite at the Chateau Lake Louise, and need a more budget-minded place to eat for dinner, or as was in our case, are stuck in the hotel during a blizzard, try the Glacier Saloon.

The Glacier Saloon is a pub located on the ground floor of the hotel, but offers a very good sit-down dinner at reasonable Lake Louise prices. There is plenty of comfortable seating away from the bar, and we found the service very pleasant and friendly. We were there earlier in the evening, and found the pub relatively smoke-free and quiet.

Favorite Dish: We had the steak sandwich and fries, and it was done very well. Sometimes we find places tend to overcook how you want your steak done, but in this case, they were perfect. The fries were thin and crispy, and very enjoyable.

There was no dessert, so we went upstairs and bought a $4.00 package of Walker's chocolate chip biscuits at the gift shop, and watched the blizzard swirl outside the windows.

The saloon is only open after 5:00 pm

Warm up with a drink before heading out

The Post Hotel

by madamx Written Jan 17, 2005

The Post Hotel dining room is well-known for it's impeccable service and outstanding food. It was voted by Gourmet magazine as third best rustic retreat in the world. We make it a point to eat here once a year, and only once as it is not cheap. We do not drink, and with appetizer, entree, and dessert, the bill often runs to approx $150 CDN.

However, I really think it is worth it and we madly save our pennies every year. I cannot say anything bad about this place. Okay, if I were to split hairs, they COULD have a little bit more elegant decor in the dining room, to reflect the type of service and class of food they serve here. Lunch is more affordable, and during that time, the dining room is not busy, and you can most likely drop in. Reservations are almost a must for dinner.

They seem to hire the best of food service staff around, but the Post is known for it's service: extremely professional, but warm and friendly. One of the staff tell me that their policy is to memorize all the overnight guests' name at the hotel, to personalize service . The dining room has also recently won a Wine Spectator award.

Favorite Dish: My favorite item for lunch is the club sandwich with black bean mayo and avocado, and they have the best fries going, crisp, thin, and long (but not too thin). Portions are big and filling. The price for this is about $14.00, which I think is reasonable for the size of serving and quality of food.

Dinner -- try anything, you will not be disappointed, they do a fantastic job with all their entrees and pasta. They do tend to focus on regional Canadian Cuisine. I must make mention of the dinner rolls, crisp on the outside, soft, with firm texture inside, baked fresh in the kitchen, and served warm. I would drive in from Calgary just for the rolls, they are that good, served with soft, unsalted butter. (my pet peeve is bread served with hard, cold butter) For dessert, my favorite recently was Banana, Banana, Banana -- small servings of banana mousse cake, banana icecream and flambed bananas on one plate.

They do serve breakfast, but it's pretty unremarkable. I would save my money for lunch or dinner.

www.posthotel.com

Outpost Pub

by madamx Written Jan 17, 2005

The Outpost Pub is located in the basement of the upscale Post Hotel, which was voted as one of the top 10 North American Hotels in 2004 by Travel and Leisure Magazine.

It is the perfect place to eat if you are oh so tired of Lobster Spring Rolls with Mango Reduction, Mache, and Spring Greens or the $83 Cote de Boeuf for Two with Baby Vegetables and Fondant Potatoes in the main dining room.

Recently made non-smoking, the pub is warm and inviting, with a large wood-burning fireplace, dark brown wood panelling that screams "pub" and big, soft, down-filled leather couches and armchairs. The service is casual and friendly, and the food, though sounding like typical pub food, is very high quality and inexpensive. Servings are very large, so don't let your eyes get bigger than your stomach.

Favorite Dish: The beef goulash with spaetzle wins hands down as our favorite dish at the pub. You get a huge plate of spaetzle that tastes of a hint of nutmeg and the beef, stewed for hours, melts in your mouth. It is served with a side of braised red cabbage.

The chicken burger comes in a close second. It is a thick patty made of ground chicken, garnished with spiced mayonnaise and slices of avocado. It also comes with a side salad (in my case, it was a lovely fresh corn and jicama) and the Post Hotel's famous fries.

Make sure that whatever you do, grab the sofa in front of the fireplace; a perfect place to enjoy your meal.

• traveldogs's Profile Photo

Lake Agnes Teahouse: Tea and hot chocolate in the mountains

by traveldogs Written Nov 25, 2004

The menu is not big (sandwiches, teas, coffee, hot chocolate) but it's the perfect location for a short rest. Located on the shores of the lake and surrounded by mountains, it makes for fantastic picture opportunities.

Favorite Dish: Mom and dad brought along sandwiches and chips for us to eat, so we played like we were real hungry and got to sample the goods. We also got treats from the owners as well as water to quench our thirst.

Will beg for food
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Travel with Pets

• DOUGALSMUM's Profile Photo

THE POPPY ROOM AT THE CHATEAU LAKE LOUISE: Great food and good value

by DOUGALSMUM Written Oct 9, 2003

The poppy room is a very unpretentious restaurant in the basement level of the chateau, Booking is necessary if you are not staying at the chateau.
    The surroundings (like most things at the chateau) are alpine style, sevice is friendly and efficient and the food is excellent with a great choice, and considering that you are eating in a 5star hotel the prices are reasonable.
    The poppy room is open for breakfast and dinner and also lunch on certain days of the week.

Favorite Dish: Can I have two favourite dishes!
    All the food is excellent but the dishes i keep having again and again are ; EGGS BENEDICT-oh wow, yummy yummy ,the best,absolutely scrumptious, the eggs are just as i like them, the hollandaise sauce is as light as a feather what more can i say.
    Second favourite is; SEAFOOD CHOWDER;CHOWDER I HEAR YOU SAY, BUT THATS JUST SOUP, ah.... but this is not just any old soup, the chowder is so thick you can practically stand your spoon up in it, the chunks of fish are big thick and meaty, the flavour is subtle but carries the full taste of the pacific salmon in a creamy base YUM!
    One word of warning-this is supposed to be a starter, but you will be lucky if you can get anything down afterwards you will be so full-have it as a mains-or come VERY full.

• Luxury Travel

Lake Louise Hotels

Latest Lake Louise Hotel Reviews

Baker Creek Chalets
HI- Banff Alpine Centre

Instant Answers: Lake Louise

Comments

Lake Louise Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Lake Louise locals.
Map of Lake Louise