Red Deer Local Customs

• An ice-packed street and hand-cleared sidewalk
    An ice-packed street and hand-cleared...
    by Bwana_Brown

Best Rated Local Customs in Red Deer

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Bumpy snow-covered streets

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 17, 2007

An ice-packed street and hand-cleared sidewalk

Having lived in eastern Canada whenever I was actually in the country, this was my first extended winter trip to western Canada (normally I go for Palm trees at that time of the year!). I had heard from people living in Winnipeg, Manitoba that often their subdivision streets are not plowed following a snowstorm but this was the first time that I had actually experienced it! The first two or three streets leading out of the subdivision into the more travelled areas were quite rutted with tire tracks in the now-solid ice base of the street, with the view here being on one of the smoother sections. While walking Carolyn and Ryan's dog in another nearby area, I came across a street that had been gouged down to pavement level by major heavy machinery, leaving a pile of iced chunks about 3-feet high on one side of the street. Those with driveways on that side had to make their own way through the barrier!

While holding the fort for Carolyn and Ryan, I cleared their driveway of any snowfalls and also the sidewalk leading to their neighbours. In eastern Canada, the sidewalk bit is normally done by city-operated snowblowers after each winter snow storm. Again, it is probably due to the rapid pace of growth in the west!

• Darby2's Profile Photo

Francis the pig...the legend

by Darby2 Written Oct 17, 2004

Francis the pig, memorial

Yes..,  it's true there really was a Francis the Pig

This statue dedicated to her memory is located in the business district of Red Deer Alberta across form the Wei's Western Wear downtown.

The inscription reads: The legend of Francis began in July 1990 when this pig escaped from a local abattoir. For nearly five months the fugitive roamed throughout Red Deer's parklands, eluding predators and several attempts of recapture. This freedom loving pig was finally captured and spent his remaining life on a local farm. Francis reminds us of the importance of hog production and processing to the economy of Red Deer.

• jenniferhen's Profile Photo

Tim Hortons....our very own coffee.

by jenniferhen Updated Apr 3, 2004

This is a must for any traveller coming in Canada... this is THE coffee for Canadians. Once you learn our own coffee lingo, try a cup for yourself.
    One and one- a coffee with one shot cream, one shot sugar
    Double Double- a coffee with two shots of cream and sugar (my favorite!! only as a large)
    Triple Triple- you get the idea
    We try to make the ordering process as easy as we can... no frappa, latte, lingo here!!
    I have 2 friends from Australia that live here in Red Deer and they still giggle when they order a large double double. They say that if you said to someone back home, they'd think you were smoking a double double...
    PS, they are located EVERYWHERE!!

• jenniferhen's Profile Photo

Take em off!!

by jenniferhen Written May 31, 2004
    Not in my house!!:)

I never really thought of this one until another VTer wrote to ask me if it was true....
    "Should you remove footwear when entering a house in Canda?"
    YES!! You do unless the host says not to. In winter time or if it has rained out, do not even ask, just automatically take them off. Even in summertime some people will be offended if you were to wear your shoes into their home, so to be safe always remove them unless the host tells you otherwise.
    I know when I was in Germany, my friend got annoyed with always telling me to put my shoes back on..just habit from over here!:)

• Venturingnow's Profile Photo

People are so very kind here,...

by Venturingnow Written Aug 25, 2002

People are so very kind here, it is truly enjoyable. The cities are small, and the people's hearts are big :).

Instant Answers: Red Deer

Comments

Red Deer Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Red Deer local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Red Deer sightseeing.