Places to eat in Province of Alberta

by Jetgirly

Most Viewed Restaurants in Province of Alberta

Lake Louise Inn: Different breakfast spot

by bkathryn Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you find the meals at the Chateau Lake Louise a little pricy, you can head just down the hill to the town of Lake Louise and hit the Lake Louise Inn for a change. They had a lovely buffet the day we were there.

Favorite Dish: Only had breakfast buffet.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Brewters Brewing & Big Rock: many brewpubs in Alberta

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 27, 2009

We had fun at both Big Rock Brewing in Calgary and Brewsters. Both were fun places with typical pub fare. This was back in 1994 so no tasting notes or ideas of what I ate.

We did not go to any brewpubs on our most recent 2008 trip. From memory, they were only okay places and not cannot miss ones like many we did hit in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest.

Favorite Dish: Bow Valley Nut Brown Ale was the highlight of Brewsters from what I can foggily remember!

• Beer Tasting

OPM Wok n' Cocktail Bar: An Asian Meal to Die For

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 27, 2009

We were into the final hours of our 10-days in Alberta, having spent the day on a leisurely drive north to Edmonton from Calgary. Our flight was not due to leave until midnight and, since we had not yet had our quota of Asian food for this trip, we decided to see what we could find in Edmonton. As we drove into the city during the 5 PM rush, the traffic ahead on the divided six-lane highway began to clog up and come to a complete standstill. There just happened to be an Off-ramp into a new shopping complex, so we immediately veered off into it. We hit the jackpot - Canada's first OPM restaurant had only recently opened there!

Favorite Dish: The menu items for this amazing restaurant were developed by the chef who recently led the Canadian team at the Bocuse d'Or culinary competition in Lyons, France. We were totally amazed by how good our food was, and the whole atmosphere of the place.

We decided to share our dishes, so we started off with their Indonesian Chicken Satays - marinated chicken grilled to perfection and served over sweet cucumber salad with a roasted peanut dipping sauce (US$5.20 for five sticks). This was so good that we had to finish the sauce as well after the chicken was gone.

The main course was Green Curry Chicken - Bangkok's famous green curry with tender chicken, eggplant, red peppers, soybeans, kafir lime leaves and sweet Thai basil (US$10). Again, the flavours were amazing - this restaurant specializes in going for the flavours without doing the mild/hot/hotter thing. I like my spices and they had just the right mix of taste and spice!!

Figured I might as well go whole hog, so I ordered a speciality 'Big Wang' draft beer. This is described as a 'hefty' Weizan - a Pacific Northwest Wheat Ale that is a 'truly cloudy' yet superb beer (US$4.30 for 12 oz.) I would have to agree! Including the drinks, our bill only came to US$22.

Don't miss this place if you ever get the chance.

• bkathryn's Profile Photo

Railway Deli: Great sandwiches (plus turducken!)

by bkathryn Written Mar 28, 2009

This was a very convenient location from my accommodation at the Radisson Canmore. I needed a lunch to take on the shuttle and it was a short walk across the closest intersection.

Favorite Dish: I got a great sandwich and hope they have turducken on the sandwich option list next time I'm there!

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Business Travel

• bkathryn's Profile Photo

Elk & Oarsman: Don't miss the game!

by bkathryn Written Mar 28, 2009

Describes itself as Pub and Steakhouse. It had a great view of the mountains near Banff, AB. The food was excellent and they had a local (Alberta) beer. How can you lose?

Favorite Dish: I had the elk burger with sweet potato fries and a side salad. The burger was very good, with pineapple and gruyere (I think) cheese.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Business Travel

• CraigT's Profile Photo

Karouzo's Steak and Seafood: Is this a steak night?

by CraigT Written Aug 14, 2007

The hiking and driving and endless sights of wonder around Jasper should prepare everyone for a great steak at Karouzo's. We had been seeking a good steak place and Karouzo's looked inviting with their "prime rib" sign on the front window. We weren't disappointed. The prime rib special was just what we needed. I requested an end cut and the chef obliged. The trimmings were tasteful and the overall dining experience was delightful. We would gladly return for another dinner at this easy to find restaurant. We enjoyed a seat by the front window as we watched the tourists pass by in search of their evening meal but we had found our spot.

Favorite Dish: Prime Rib - the house specialty.

The Panorama Room: Revolving Above Calgary

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 4, 2007

On our designated day to tour some of the sights of Calgary, the first thing we headed for was the Calgary Tower. As it turned out, we became involved in an advertising photo shoot on its Observation Deck with us and our daughter as the models. To make a long story short, after the photo session was finished, we were offered a free lunch in their revolving restaurant - anything on the menu that we wanted.

Favorite Dish: We started off with Strawberry Daquiri's as we sampled their delicious sampler plate of Appetizers. This consisted of such things as smoked salmon, grilled shrimp, scallops, Indian candied salmon, shaved duck, air-dried buffalo strips and a wild berry chutney!

Following this, we were served our choice of wine with the main course of Atlantic lobster tail on its shell, with cajun shrimp, baby potatoes, zuchini, red onions, whole garlic, red & green peppers and black olives.

Not finished yet, we were then presented with a sampler of their various delicious dessert items. We could hardly walk by the time we were finished with that meal.

Call ahead for reservations, their food prices (for those of you who have to pay) are quite reasonable!

• vtveen's Profile Photo

Delia - Mother Mountain: ... hidden gem

by vtveen Updated Mar 27, 2007

After visiting Drumheller and the ghost town of Rowley we were driving eastward along Highway 9 to Saskatchewan through the plains of Alberta.

There was a sign of ‘Mother Mountain Tea House’ along the road and we turned off to the (almost ghost) town of Delia. Without any problem we found the red coloured teahouse in a completely restored old Crown Lumber Building. What a hidden gem with antique furniture, wood floors and knick-knacks everywhere inside.

We had a lovely pot of tea and a perfect tuna sandwich.

(Delia is located just north of the Hand Hills, 200 metres high ‘mountains’, which are called ‘the Roof of the Prairies’. They were the namesake of Mother Mountain Tea House. It is possible to make a round trip from Drumheller through the secondary roads 576 and 851 and back along Rowley and/or Highway 9.)

• vtveen's Profile Photo

Whistling Kettle: Homemade specialties

by vtveen Written Mar 7, 2007

A tea room for a nice and quiet lunch, where you can have your tea or coffee inside or on the veranda.

Excellent home made pies, cake and sandwiches.

There is also a nice gift-craft shop with decorative knickknacks that are on display around the teahouse.

Located across the street from the Visitor Information Centre with the World's Largest Dinosaur.

Favorite Dish: Homemade cake !!!

• bkathryn's Profile Photo

Mountain Steak and Pizza: Excellent Steak (& Pizza)

by bkathryn Written Oct 14, 2006

This restaurant served excellent steak (and salad, garlic toast, baked potato). They also serve pizza, which smelled good, but none of our group had it.

Favorite Dish: I had an excellent steak. It was done just the way I like it.

JJ's Sports Lounge & Motel: A strange spot in the middle of nowhere

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 10, 2006

On our July, 2006 trip, as part of our desire to see different scenery when we have to make more than one trip between places, we were returning to Calgary from Cold Lake via the network of secondary highways that cover most of southern Alberta. These roads almost always run north-south or east-west with very few going in diagonal directions but they are paved, smooth, have little or no traffic and a speed limit of 100 kph (60 mph). One thing I tend to forget when doing this is that, in the vast spaces of the west, gasoline stations and restaurants are much more difficult to come by than they are in the crowded (relatively speaking) areas of eastern Canada!

Lunchtime was approaching and we could spot no sign of any restaurants as we passed through village after village. Finally, when we reached the intersection of our back-road and the major Yellowhead Highway section of the Trans-Canada Highway we found ourselves in the village of Mannville. Surely, I thought, there will be some choices here on a major cross-Canada route. Wrong, the only thing we could see was a rather decrepit-looking structure that did not even have an obvious entrance-way!

Favorite Dish: Nothing else was in sight, and we had delayed our decision long enough that it was now past noon as we entered the dining room, the walls of which were decorated with various ice-hockey sweaters. It must have been the ladies club day, because several of the tables were taken by groups of elderly ladies and most of the others by an assortment of customers. We checked the menu and placed a take-out order of two simple toasted whole wheat Ham, Cheese & Tomato sandwiches (US$4 each) to go with our bottles of water. Trouble was, they had a number of orders to fill before ours so, we sat down and waited, and waited and waited. Finally, the waitress came out with one of the sandwiches - sheepishly saying they had dropped the other one on the floor and were making another for us. We shared the one sandwich that had been delivered while we waited, and it was good. Finally the other one appeared and we were told that there would be no charge because we had waited so long for our 'take-out' order. I thought that was nice of them, so I met them half-way and paid for one. Later on, we almost ran out of gas near Drumheller before we coasted into a small-town gas station on our last fumes (this was after I had driven by a couple of stations earlier thinking that I could always find something!).

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Nordegg Lodge Restaurant: Tastey food in the boondocks!

by kymbanm Written Jun 24, 2006

I was wandering my way from Bannf National Park on my drive back to Edmonton for my flight home ... sigh ... surprisingly, this little out of the way place offered good fare! Now the service sucked, but the food was awesome! I kept it simple .. having an Alberta beef burger, fries and a side salad.

The salad was simple diner style iceburg lettuce and cherry tomatoes. The burger was juicy, tastey, and just a bit of heaven on a bun... even though my order didn't arrive as I had ordered it, I suspect it was my absent minded waitress who was busier flirting w/ local boys in the restaurant than she was at doing her job that day. My requested condiments never arrived, my dressing came on my salad instead of beside my salad, my iced tea was empty and never refilled, and she never ,ever asked if I needed anything.

Though this isn't a place worthy of a mutliple hour detour, it is a worthy stop if you are in the area :)

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Balkan Restaurant: Banff

by leebee1 Written Dec 7, 2004

Although the wait for our meal here was quite lengthy, the waitress in attendance was pleasant enough...I'm a bit of a sucker, give me decent service and you could almost get away with anything!
    The restaurant was interesting on the inside, giving you plenty to look at on the roof and walls. It was quite nice actually.

Favorite Dish: They do great Greek salads and kebabs.

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Grizzly Paw Brewery: Canmore

by leebee1 Written Dec 7, 2004

This place is basically just a pub with a menu. They serve typical pub menu food. Everything from soups and salads, to burgers with fries, to steaks and chicken dishes etc. The food is wonderful, I didnt have anything that was unsatisfactory.
    The eatery is located towards the front of the pub, and the whole establishment remains non smoking until the kitchen is shut.
    There is a very relaxed, fun, funky atmosphere in the pub, but in saying that the wait/barstaff are still pleasant and helpful.
    After youve eaten you can venture upstairs to listen to the jukebox and play pool. Maybe order a cocktail or 2 (although they are pricey). Alternatively you can sit downstairs and order a beer and watch on the big screen whatever sporting thing may be on at the minute...

• Shade420's Profile Photo

Tim Hortons: The Best Donuts & Coffee in Canada

by Shade420 Written Oct 17, 2004

This is a Canadian past time. It has really good coffee with lots of choice. Donuts are great and there are many other things on the menu. Sandwiches, salads, soups,chili, pies, cakes, danishes, cookies, bagles ect... Of course there are many different kinds of coffee but probably not as many and Starbucks the big American chain. Like America is Crispy Cream crazy we Canadians love Tim's. We do have many other chains but this one is truley Canadian!! Defently stop in here for a healtier option to fast food.

Favorite Dish: My favorite thing to have when i go there are timbits (little bite size donuts). They come in many different flavours and a box can be bought for approx. two dollors. Mmmm bite size goodness!!

Province of Alberta Hotels

2 Hotels
Medicine Hat Hotels
4 Reviews - 11 Photos

Instant Answers: Province of Alberta

Comments

Province of Alberta Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Province of Alberta restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of Alberta sightseeing.
Map of Province of Alberta