Waterton Lakes National Park Restaurants

by Camping_Girl

Most Recent Restaurants in Waterton Lakes National Park

New Franks: Chinese food at Waterton Lakes

Interior of New Frank's Restaurant

My dad was looking for Chinese restaurants at Waterton Lakes and the ranger at the Parcs Canada Visitor Centre told us to go to New Franks which is the only restaurant that serves Chinese food in town. So we went, and indeed they served Chinese food. But they also serve typical American breakfast as well. Anyways, considering that we have not had any Chinese food for four days and that we were in a remote area of Canada, we were pretty happy with the food. We had hot & sour soup, ma po tofu, mongolian beef, and curry chicken. When we went, there were two servers waiting tables and there were several tables of customers. Our main server was a young Canadian lady, but we also got to talk to the other young interracial server who turned out to have a Chinese (Cantonese) father and an Ukranian mother. He told us he could speak Cantonese and wrote down his Chinese name for us. So it was fun knowing him and made our experience a bit more special.

Favorite Dish: I think I'll have to go with ma po tofu.

Bighorn Grill @ Waterton Lakes Lodge: Culinary surprise

by sevillesimon Written Jul 24, 2006
    Ground floor of restaurant with bar & fireplace

Since we were staying at Waterton Lakes Lodge, we decided to have breakfast and dinner there as well. I ended up loving the place and the restaurant because of its unique architecture and innovative menu. The restaurant is located in the main lodge building and has three levels. The ground level is next to the bar and lounge with a fireplace and faces the health club and Waterton International Hostel across the lawn. The second level contains a few tables along the staircase, and the third level occupies almost the entire top section with more windows. For breakfast we sat at the third level and for dinner we sat at the ground level next to the bar. The fireplace, interior color, and the use of natural lighting all add to the warm atmosphere of this establishment. The servers were also very nice, patient, and curteous, and we enjoyed our meals very much. I also found the menu to be quite fancy because they serve elk and coq au vin which aren't very common in typical American restaurants unless you go to restaurants serving specialty games meat or French cuisine.

Favorite Dish: I haven't tried every dish at the Bighorn Grill so I cannot say which is my favourite dish. But I will say however that I loved my salmon and creme brulee.

Valerie's Tea Room: High Tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel

Valerie's Tea Room at the Prince of Wales Hotel

Valerie's Tea Room in the lobby of the Prince of Wales Hotel offers great view of Upper Waterton Lake and the surrounding Rockies through its huge windows. The entire lobby area has an English style decoration and atmosphere, and the servers are dressed in English/Welsh costumes with kilts. You select your tea first from their tea selection, and afterwards the tea is served. With the tea comes typical scones, tea sandwiches, and desserts. The server may ask whether you wish to refill your tea or pick a brand new tea. The Prince of Wales Hotel has its own brand of tea called the Prince of Wales tea. Before you leave, stop by the gift shop and present your receipt for the high tea and the gift shop will give you a box of Prince of Wales tea for free. We had three people in our party so we got a total of 3 boxes.

• Architecture

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Pizza of Waterton: Mmmmmm..... Pizza.....

by Camping_Girl Written Mar 11, 2006

Pizza of Waterton is a great place for a casual meal. The restaurant is situated in a renovated house, around the corner from the post office. While the place is small, they have an outdoor patio which doubles their seating capacity. We prefer the patio, if we can get a spot there. The place is always busy, reservations are recommended, but not required.

They are licenced as well.

Favorite Dish: The calzones are a favorite of myself and my son - they are HUGE!!!

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

The Lamp Post Dining Room: Amazing Chef!

by Camping_Girl Updated Feb 9, 2006

It's hard to select a theme for this restaurant. The dinner menu features such standbys as steak and chicken, but also offers an array of organic items, such as elk, bison, venison , seafood, even cariboo! What I can say is that everything is perfectly prepared, by an award-winning chef. Many of the items are unique - for example, they make their own saskatoon berry jam which is available in the restaurant and also to buy to take home.

This description might make the Lamp Post sound pretentious, but it certainly is not. While some people dress up for dinner, many do not. The decor in the restaurant is very casual and definitely not what I expected for a restaurant with such a high-caliber reputation. It has an older lodge look to it and to be truthful it could do with an update. But don't let that influence your opinion of the food!

Here's a link to their sample menus:

Favorite Dish: It would be a toss up between the Kilmorey Cordon Bleu and the beef tenderloin served with their Forestiere sauce..... mmmmmm!

And THEN there's the desserts...... my fave is the Saskatoon Berry Pie.

New Frank's Restaurant: Like a Chinese Denny's

by jojocan Written May 22, 2005

Frank's is a lovely restaurant. I equate it to a Dennys or Humptys, as in, a place you can go and always know the food is going to taste the same.

I haven't tried the chinese food here, but it sure smells good.

Favorite Dish: If you want a real breakfast (eggs, toast, bacon, hashbrowns) at a truckstop price, come here!

• jojocan's Profile Photo

Waterton Lakes Lodge Restaurant: The best service ever!

by jojocan Written May 16, 2005

Our favorite waiter!

This was by far the best place I have ever eaten. The food was amazing - so, so good. The service, second to none. We had a great server, who not only knew what we wanted when we sat down, but would say hi to us when he saw us outside of the hotel.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate mousse for dessert is to die for!

• jojocan's Profile Photo

Bayshore Inn Dining Room: Expensive!

by jojocan Written May 16, 2005

I was not very impressed with this place. It is very stuffy, uptight, which is not me at all. There were 4 items on the dinner menu, and you couldn't order off of the lunch menu. And it was expensive for food that was ordinary.

The only good thing about here is that you have a great view to eat on the balcony - overlooking the lake and mountains.

• jojocan's Profile Photo

Prince of Wales Hotel: A place full of history!

by jojocan Written Feb 5, 2005

The Hotel

The hotel, the Prince of Wales, is a wonderful building. Queens, kings, and of course, princes have stayed in it. Its full of history! It is a very classy kind of place, you can't wear sweatpants or tank tops into it. Great atmoshere though, comfortable, and relaxing.

You can walk outside of the hotel around the yard. Its beautiful. Lots of flowers and a view to die for!

It is very expensive, not only to stay at the hotel, but to eat there. Two of us went to the lounge, had a drink each (special coffee type), and a dessert (cheesecake), and it was over $30! But worth it.

• Wine Tasting

• JanPeter74's Profile Photo

Peace Park Pitas: Great place in a small place

by JanPeter74 Updated Sep 14, 2004

This place is really perfect if you want an easy and quick but oh so fresh dinner. The guy behind the counter owns the place himself. Like most other places in this village, Peace Park Pitas is only open during the summer months.

The specialty are large pitas that are stuffed with all kinds of fresh ingredients (lots of choice) and that are made to order. After stuffing, the pitas are rolled up so that you get a kind of pita-wrap. Very nice!

I haven't tasted them but the fresh pizzas looked very good as well.

• zrim's Profile Photo

Prince of Wales Hotel: High Tea

by zrim Updated Feb 20, 2003

The Prince of Wales Hotel serves a high tea in its lobby or "tea room". I was out hiking and missed the event. Even if you don't partake of the high tea, you should venture inside this grand old Canadian Railroad Hotel. The views are tremendous and the hotel speaks of a bygone era.

Instant Answers: Waterton Lakes National Park

Comments

Waterton Lakes National Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Waterton Lakes National Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Waterton Lakes National Park sightseeing.

View all Waterton Lakes National Park hotels