Whitecourt Off The Beaten Path

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Whitecourt

Camping/Fishing/Hunting

by luvthesun Updated Sep 21, 2004

Camping -
    Iosogun Lake has beautiful secluded/private campgrounds.
    9 km outside of Fox Creek. No facilities.
    Hiking trail. Fishing is pretty good in summer better in the winter.(nothing beats fish caught in 20 below temperatures!!)
    Smoke Lake - I like the look of this lake more-it is smaller and surrounded by pine trees, the wind rarely hits the lake so it is usually calm-great for canoeing!!!
    Campgrounds are nice but Iosoguns are better. The fishing is good.
    Both places-watch out for bears
    I tent it - and if my husband isn't with us the kids and I come home at night to sleep.(I'm terrified of bears). We had a bear in our campground last summer(2003), just a 2 year old but curious and not scared.
    There are plenty of lakes that you can only get into by walking or with a quad. They are hidden treasures
    Crystal Lake-a really small pond like lake that is surrounded by pines, stocked with trout. It is very deep, fed by underground springs and the water is crystal clear. You have to walk in about 15 minutes along a man made trail. Worth it.
    James lake-wet-4 wheel or quad, dry-4 wheel
    Alarger lake, awesome in the winter for ice fishing, the smallest fish we caught was 8 lb Pike.
    (Pictures soon to come)

• Camping

• luvthesun's Profile Photo

Quadding, snowmobiling, x-country skiing....

by luvthesun Written Sep 21, 2004

You want outdoor activity you got it. During the winter I get around in Snowshoes-they call me the crazy snow shoe lady(the high school kids). They'll see me running down the trail in my snow shoes and think I'm nuts! Maybe I am, but it is way more fun being insane than sane!!
    (pictures soon to come, just waiting for the snow)

Snowmobiling

by luvthesun Written Sep 21, 2004
    Trappers Cabin - Golden Traingle

Fox Creek is a part of what is known as the "Golden Traingle".
    The Golden Triangle Snowmobile Trail is a loop that connects the communities of Fox Creek, Whitecourt and Swan Hills in northeastern Alberta. The total distance of the trail is 220 miles through semi-alpine forest, but it also accesses thousands of miles of secondary trails, year-round campgrounds and ice-fishing lakes. The trail has staging areas in each of its three communities, and offers well-marked guidance map along the trail and at important intersections.

Here is a link:http://www.townofswanhills.com/triangle.html

Quadding/Hunting

by luvthesun Updated Sep 21, 2004

Quadding is huge in Fox Creek. Most people own a quad and there are unlimited aeas to quad!! You have all the oil roads and cut lines to quad on, and there are literally hundreds and hundreds of kms of them! Get a map from one of the oil companies in town,
    pack a tent a cooloer and explore for a couple of days.
    Hunting is also big here especially with a bow. Quite a few come here for the elk and bear.
    Nothing beats a good elk roast cooked in a slow cooker, or elk sausage bbq'd. That is what we eat for our Thanksgiving. Our freezer has more elk, moose and buffalo than anything!

Instant Answers: Whitecourt

Comments

Whitecourt Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Whitecourt off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whitecourt sightseeing.