Kimberley Travel Guide

• Kimberley
    by Camping_Girl
  • Band playing at the Platzl on a Sunday afternoon
    Band playing at the Platzl on a Sunday...
    by Camping_Girl
    The start of the falls walk
    by balhannah

Kimberley Things to Do

by balhannah Written May 30, 2010

Cominco Gardens was a must visit for me, and I must say, that I was disappointed, perhaps I was just there at the wrong time.
    The gardens are advertised as featuring 45,000 blooms annually, nothing like this when I was there. It didn't really matter, as they are situated close to the Platzl.

The gardens cover an area of 3 acres, and combine formal and informal beds. A 100 memorial roses are planted here, and giant dahlias, also known as dinner-plate dahlias, which I wanted to see as my Father grew a great collection of these. Plenty of perennials like Canterbury bells and foxglove, as well as the collection of over 16,000 annuals, hardly any of these were in flower!

The gardens were 1st built in 1927, as an advert on how good Elephant Brand Fertilizer, {which was produced by the Cominco Mine} was.

The best months to visit garden...........June, July and August.

LOCATION IS.....adjacent to the Kimberley Health Care Centre, off 4th Avenue, just 5 minutes from downtown Kimberley.
    The Gardens are a 5 minute drive or a 10 - 15 minute walk from the Platzl.
    Admission by donation.

• Hiking and Walking

Kimberley

by balhannah Updated May 30, 2010

We walked "The Platzl" which is a pedestrian-only outdoor shopping mall in Kimberley.

I thought it was really lovely, the buildings were like I have seen photo's of alpine villages. There were some interesting shops, and also it was a nice area where we stopped and had a Coffee break.
    Plenty of trees, and hanging baskets filled with flowers made it a nice area for doing both.

On weekends in Summer, a Village Market is held in the Platzl from 10am - 2pm

• Hiking and Walking

by balhannah Updated May 30, 2010

"Happy Hans" is the name of the very big cuckoo clock in the Platzl!

It is advertised as Canada's largest free-standing cuckoo clock.
    As I hadn't been to Bavaria, and I wasn't there on the hour, when he "pops' out, I put 25 cents in the slot for him to come out and yodel for me!

It must send the shop owners silly, well, that is my view!

Kimberley Hotels

Kimberley Restaurants

• cbrandlehner's Profile Photo
    Gasthaus am Platzl

by cbrandlehner Updated Oct 27, 2004

Unique and exciting food. Canadian, International and Austrian Cuisine. Big selection of wine and of course beer because the Austrian and German food is best served with fresh beer.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Kimberley

Comments

Kimberley Travel Guide
Map of Kimberley