Nanaimo Restaurants

• Devouring the Blueberry
    Devouring the Blueberry "Cheesecake"
    Euphoria Mylkshake
  • Enjoying
    Enjoying "Love at First Bite"

Most Recent Restaurants in Nanaimo

• kehale's Profile Photo

Gabriel's Gourmet Cafe: Get the Pancakes!

by kehale Written Aug 7, 2014

What originally drew me into Gabriel's was that they focus on providing fresh, local and seasonal foods. After checking out their menu I was sold, I just wasn't sure my daughter would eat much of what was on their lunch menu. The next day I decided to head there for breakfast and I was so happy that we did.
    The restaurant itself is beautiful - light and airy with a lot of repurposed materials used in the decor. The staff was friendly, but the food is what brought us back again!
    I wasn't crazy about the coffee, but I was okay with that because the food was delicious. If you are looking for a breakfast spot in Nanaimo you need to go here first. You won't regret it!

Favorite Dish: The Coconut Milk pancakes are fantastic! They are so light and fluffy and come with delicious fresh fruit, greek yogurt & maple syrup on the side. We downed these so quickly on our first visit here and needed to go back a second time for more.

Inside Gabriel's Coconut Milks Pancakes!

Power House Living Foods Co.: The Raw Food Restaurant

by kehale Written Aug 6, 2014

I was immediately excited by the restaurant the moment I spotted it at the corner of Commercial St and Bastion St. They advertise themselves as a healthy raw food restaurant (with everything being gluten & dairy free), which is such a great option when options for dining out are often filled with fatty, greasy foods which we, as a family, try to avoid as much as possible.
    The interior of the restaurant is bright and vibrant, filled with all kinds of fresh and healthy food options. The staff as so friendly, welcoming and helpful... and quick to offer a compliment which is always nice!
    The day we stopped in for lunch they were shooting some new photos of their delicious food and we were offered a slice of their raw blueberry cheesecake, which was fantastic... and pretty much the only thing our 3 year old ate for lunch.
    One thing to keep in mind if you plan on ordering a salad is that they are huge. I wasn't too hungry that day so I opted for a 1/2 order of the salad and it was still a little large, so both my husband and daughter ate some as well.
    If you are looking for a healthy food option, definitely check out Powerhouse! Just know that they are only open from 10 - 6!

Devouring the Blueberry Euphoria Mylkshake

• kehale's Profile Photo

The Nest Bistro: Fantastic Food!

by kehale Written Aug 6, 2014

My husband picked this restaurant as the location for our first dinner in Nanaimo, and I was thrilled that he did. He had heard wonderful things about it from his coworkers, so we agreed to give it a try. The place is a bit of a walk from the main street's of the downtown area, but it is well worth the stroll. The restaurant itself is small, but it feels cozy and is well decorated. The staff is so friendly and accommodating and we were thrilled with the whole experience. I overheard the waitress telling another couple that the whole restaurant is just a team of 4 (or 5), and they don't need much more. The wine choices were great, and the food was incredible! It was hard to pick one thing off of the menu, but all of the meals that arrived at our table were delicious - even our 3 year old daughter couldn't get enough. We were surprised with the Parmesan Beignets that were brought to our table as a starter, and they were so great! A nice light starter to a fantastic meal.
    One thing we agreed that was fantastic at this place was the portion size. You are getting smaller meal sizes, but the food is fresh, local and delicious. We'd rather pay more for quality than less for quantity... and if you agree with that viewpoint, you'll love The Nest too!

Favorite Dish: I ordered the potato crusted salmon and it was absolutely fantastic paired with the handmade gnocchi. My daughter ate almost half of my salmon, and it was the right amount to fill me up. I finished my meal feeling completely satisfied.

Parmesan Beignets
    • Seniors

2 Chefs Affair: Recommended by Locals

by kehale Written Aug 5, 2014

I ended up here after it was recommended by the girl at the front desk of our hotel, who told us they have the best food. It was only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, and we were seated right away. The service was fast and friendly and the food was fantastic. The building the restaurant is located in is fantastic as well, with a large roll door at the front that opens the restaurant onto Commercial St.

Favorite Dish: I ordered "Love At First Bite" to share with my three year old, and it was the best French Toast I have ever ordered at a restaurant. My daughter was a huge fan of the fresh blueberries on top, and the blueberry cream cheese and Quebec maple syrup went perfectly with it! If you even remotely enjoy French Toast, I highly recommend you head to 2 Chefs and order this for breakfast! You will not be disappointed!

Enjoying
    • Business Travel

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Javawocky Coffee House: Coffe at the harbour

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 11, 2012

The Javawocky Coffee House is a small coffeehouse at the Nanaimo harbour with a few seats inside and some additional outside. Their drinks are perfect and so are the muffins and other small food, including the local Nanaimo Bar.

Javawocky Coffee House - Nanaim0 Javawocky Coffee House - Nanaimo
    • Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

• Karolina01's Profile Photo

The Dinghy Dock: Pub & Bistro

by Karolina01 Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is a ferry that goes to the pub, every hour during the day. See the web side for more information.

Favorite Dish: I had pizza and it was really good, but not as good as the dessert. The dessert was fantastic, read the note, the name says it all.

• Elli99fh's Profile Photo

The Crow and Gate: Authentic English Pub

by Elli99fh Updated Apr 4, 2011

You feel as if you've stepped back in time when you arrive here. The grounds, the buildings and the ambiance inside the pub all combine to make you feel as if you're actually at an Elizabethan era pub in England. It is really charming!

Favorite Dish: We weren't hungry at the time and just had a pint of Kilkenny's and a pint of the cider they had on tap. We look forward to coming back to eat.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Calico Cat Tea house: Have Tea, Get your Fortune Told & Eat Great Food!

by Albernfrau Updated Aug 14, 2006

My favourite place to eat in Nanaimo. The owner, a tea leaf reader, provides a cosy, English atmosphere perfect for her to tell you your future by reading your tea leaves. The scones with strawberry jam, lemon spread and whipped cream are the best I have had anywhere in my life and trust me I have tried many places. I can't rave enough about this place. You must go!
    Tea leaf readings are for 10 or 20 mins. You need to reserve usually at least 1 week ahead for a reading. You don't always need a reservation for tea or a meal but it is recommended. They offer breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Food is outstanding with large portions. Service is great.

Check out all my photos.

• Women's Travel

• Delicado's: Southwestern cooking

by surf_grrl Written Nov 27, 2004

Used to be a little hole-in-the-wall takeout, but got waaaay popular and had to expand. There's a branch at the north end of town, but the downtown original is still the best.

Roll-ups, burritos, salads and more. Veggies and imported goods for sale.

Outdoor patio in summer.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp roll-up. Light and fresh, with a scale of hotness from mild to nitro. Full of shrimp,veggies, black beans, sunflower sprouts, a sauce made with chipotle peppers... yum.

• Mahle House Restaurant: fine dining south of town

by surf_grrl Written Nov 27, 2004

Small restaurant in an older house in Cedar, 10 minutes south of Nanaimo. Contemporary, inventive dishes, never disappointing. Often use local producers for ingredients. Extensive wine list; owner-manager loves to chat about wine, and is knowledgeable about local BC wines as well as everything else on the list. Great local art on the walls. Good dessert list (not just cheesecake!).

There's always a vegetarian option, and if you're a veg who eats seafood, there are many choices.

My favourite local restaurant. I've listed the price as "about average", which, for 'fine dining', it is.

Favorite Dish: porcupine prawns - prawns in a shredded batter with a wasabi dipping sauce

calamari dijonnaise - light, yummy

blue cheese, beetroot , romaine and walnut salad - divine

Really, it's all good.

• Business Travel

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Cottage fish and chips: Just Like Home!

by aqazi Written Aug 11, 2004

If you fancy fish and chips in Nanaimo then the Cottage Chippy is on eof the best. They serve take away orders in newspaper and the fish is fresh and tasty. We found the Haddock better than the cod. This place has odd oppening hours so don't be surprised if its closed after 8pm.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Huong Lan Restaurant: Possibly the best food in town

by aqazi Written Jul 20, 2004

Nanaimo isn't especially spoilt for great places to eat bu tmyself and fellow students often came here. And so does everyone else so don't be suprised if you have to wait in line at lunch times. They serve all your regular Vietnamese food including of course Pho. Generous portions and freindly service means that always people come back for more.

Instant Answers: Nanaimo

Comments

Nanaimo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nanaimo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nanaimo sightseeing.