North Vancouver Restaurants

• Kentucky burgoo and a half litre of pinot noir
    Kentucky burgoo and a half litre of...
    by Carmanah
    The End of the Line General Store
    by Carmanah
    by Ryoka

Most Recent Restaurants in North Vancouver

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Taylor's Crossing: North Vancouver Brewpubs

by bocmaxima Updated Apr 4, 2011

I had heard good things about Vancouver's brewpub scene and wanted to hit as many as possible. Since I was staying in North Vancouver, I decided to head to Taylor's Crossing since I could walk there.
    I went on, I believe, a Sunday, and I found out once I talked to the bartender a little that this was sort of a family night, as they had cheap pizzas. The downside of this was that there were a lot of kids and even a magician walking around the tables trying for tips.
    The place is very "wooden" in that it has stained wood floors, tables, chairs, a bar and even barstools. It had a somewhat sterilized feeling to it.
    The food was good. I had one of the cheap pizzas ($8, I believe) along with a couple of beers. It was also quick in coming out.
    The beers were a little disappointing. It was mostly lighter stuff and nothing really stuck out as spectacular or even that good. I did a sampler but also a couple of pints.
    The bartender was really nice, although most people in Vancouver I encountered were. I like to ask bartenders or even random people at the bar questions about their city and he was happy to answer them.
    The mood might be very different away from these "family" nights, but it was very reasonably-priced and I would definitely go again.

Favorite Dish: Good daily food and drink specials

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

End of the Line General Store: A cute and historic find!

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

The End of the Line General Store

The End of the Line is a community convenience store, coffee shop, deli, and artisan gift shop all in one.

I discovered this little general store quite by accident. Me and a friend were walking through Lynn Canyon Park and found ourselves on the Baden Powell trail. This trail seemed to climb upwards along the canyon walls and before we knew it, it spit us out of the forest and back into suburbia.

But there it was across the street from the trail head: the End of the Line General Store with its cute, historic facade. It seemed like a cute little place that I decided to go get myself a drink and a little snack.

Favorite Dish: I had a date square ($3.50) to go with my bottle of grapefruit juice. I could tell that it probably had been sitting in the fridge for a while, but it was still alright for a little snack. They had sandwiches, quiche, pizza and such - all were premade and were sitting in the fridge. They also had an espresso bar that seemed to be quite popular with the locals.

Thai House: Thai House

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

Probably their largest location, located in what seems like a giant mansion on the hill overlooking Burrard Inlet and downtown Vancouver... this was a great place to come for a quick fast Thai lunch. Service was usually quick and efficient, and the quality of food was good.

Favorite Dish: I remember having their lunch specials... usually came with a cup of soup, a spring roll, and one entree such as Gai Pad bai Grapau (chicken with chili, basil onions) or Kaeng Phed Gai (chicken in yellow curry). Of course, they had a huge menu featuring pork, beef, seafood... even ostrich. Tons to choose from. I always loved their Thai iced tea.

Burgoo: Comfort food!

by Carmanah Updated Feb 17, 2008

Kentucky burgoo and a half litre of pinot noir

Burgoo is all about comfort food. Their menu focuses on stews and soups from around the world: goulash, borscht, Irish stew, Beef bouruignon, lamb tagine, Malaysian laksah, butter chicken, Quebecois split pea soup, Pacific seafood chowder, ratatouille, Ketucky burgoo, etc.

The restaurant has a warm rustic interior with a fireplace, wooden tables, and a very casual but cozy demeanor. The staff are very friendly, especially the waitress we had.

Being there on Sunday evening, they had live music, which was very enjoyable. Overall, I can highly recommend this restaurant for a casual but cozy dining experience.

Favorite Dish: The Kentucky Burgoo ($14) which is described in their menu as "slow cooked meats with lima beans, corn, tomatoes, cabbage and okra served over garlic mashed potatoes or burgoo biscuits". This was delicious! It was the perfect comfort food after being outside all day in the cold. It was served piping hot and in a generous quantity. I opted for the burgoo biscuits, which were basically a fluffier version of cheddar and herb scones.

For dessert we shared the chocolate fondue. The chocolate was like a chocolate pudding and it was served with strawberries, marshmallows and cubes of spiced banana bread. It was perfect!

They have a good selection of drinks as well. We shared a half litre of New Zealand pinot noir, but they also had some more interesting items on the menu such as mead!

Horw Mok Maprao - Thai House

Food: Speaking as a Thai immigrant since 1989, I'd say that Thai House Restaurant has to be the most authentic Thai food I have had in Vancouver. From the appetizer to main course to desert, it is just like riding a rollercoaster. Eating here makes me homesick all the time.

Service: Fast and efficient, I have no complains at all. Although the servers are not all Thai, they are still very knowledgable about the details of the food when I asked them.

Ambience: Probably one of the best parts of this restaurant. This place just looks so gorgeous. The statues, fish tank, and the whole Thai-style decoration make the whole dining experience enjoyable.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish was their green curry and satay. Out of all the Thai restaurants in Vancouver, Thai House has the best peanut sauce. It's even better than many restaurants in Thailand. Satay plus the peanut sauce is just the right way to start the dinner.

Their green curry chicken pushes the whole dining experience to the very top. Not too spicy, not too mild, just the way it should be.

• Skiing and Boarding

Khao Pad Sapparod - Thai House

• Skiing and Boarding

• Cuteclu's Profile Photo

Lonsdale Quay: Where North Van comes to eat

by Cuteclu Written Aug 8, 2005

Lonsdale Quay has everything you could possibly want. Fresh fruit, sushi, chinese, mexican...you name it, its there. Go for lunch, dinner, or just a quick snack and you'll be satisfied.

Favorite Dish: Too many to choose.

Instant Answers: North Vancouver

Comments

North Vancouver Restaurants

Reviews and photos of North Vancouver restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for North Vancouver sightseeing.

View all North Vancouver hotels