Osoyoos Restaurants

Windmill Ice Cream
    by LoriPori
  • Grinning like a goof, eating my friend chicken
    Grinning like a goof, eating my friend...
    by Carmanah

Most Recent Restaurants in Osoyoos

Burgers Plus: Burgers Plus

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

Grinning like a goof, eating my friend chicken

After weeks of eating rich gourmet meals, I was craving simple comfort junk food - fried chicken. It became a joke, ever since we tried to buy a "bucket-o-cluck" at a KFC in July to bring to the beach, only to find that the location we had driven to had closed down. It's not that we eat it often, but for weeks we had a craving for the famous fried chicken. It became comical - an inside joke. We'd pass by KFC's on the highway and I'd grin with glee.

Back in Osoyoos, the night previous we had dined on rich Italian pasta. For lunch we had tomato Stilton soup and goat's cheese salad with walnuts and chicken. Lamb sausages. One weekend prior we only ate dense pate on a dark "Transylvania Peasant Bread" (no joke!) with smoked cheddar and other rich imported cheeses. Wines and sparking waters to drink. Bon Ton pastries made with thick butter cream, the kind my grandmother would serve her guests in the 50's. We'd wake up and have Jewish cheese blintzes with strawberry sauce. For another dinner, butter-fried perogies with Ukrainian sausauge. I was starting to go nauseous with any further thought of rich and heavy cuisine. Enough with the gourmet. I enjoy it, but I had too much of a good thing all at once. Blah.

So during our third night in the Okanagan, our second in Osoyoos, while the menus from the local winery restaurants looked as if they were read-outs from Gourmet magazine, I was aching for something simpler.

This is where Burgers Plus comes in.

On our way to the Desert Centre, we passed by Burgers Plus on Hwy 97. "Famous friend chicken - Kentucky style" said their sign. I looked at my boyfriend, and he looked at me. We thought the same thing. I said in my mock southern accent, "fryyyy chick'n" as we drove by.

Favorite Dish: During our walk around the Desert Centre, I mentioned how fried chicken for dinner would be ideal. Enough with the gourmet. I want something simple. So did he. So after our tour, after we had visited a fruit stand, I turned off at the Burger's Plus and parked in the lot. I grinned the biggest smile and started giggling like the silly girl that I was.

Burgers Plus is a cute little restaurant - it's an old fashioned take-out diner that also has indoor seating. The restaurant is run by a husband and wife team who claim that good food and fast service brings in customers. They're right. Their menu was huge - burgers of all types. Milkshakes. Fallafels and hummous. And fried chicken. I looked at the different options we could have. Should we get a bucket of chicken, or the chicken dinners?

We each opted for the 3-piece chicken dinner with jojo's and dip. We didn't even know what jojo's were, but it sounded good. We sat outside on the picnic tables, looking out over the apple orchards across the street. The grass was lush and it was just enjoyable sitting down ouside at a real local diner as the locals came to order their burgers and jojo's.

Within 10 minutes our food was ready, packed in neat cardboard boxes. We jumped in the van and I started our ascend up Anarchist Mountain to the B&B. We peeked into the boxes at a stoplight. Each box had a chicken wing, leg and breast cooked to perfection with a thin but extremely crispy, perfectly spiced crust. It was soooo good. Jojo's, as we discovered, were potato wedges that had been covered in batter, then deep fried. They were served with a thick sour-cream based dip. Everything was quality. Everything was so good. We took the chicken back up to the Observatory and ate it on our patio. It was definitely my favourite meal of the trip.

Campo Marina: Campo Marina

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

Kind of a weird situation.

Having just checked into our B&B, I was looking at the local restaurant menus and noticed the good variety of food at Osoyoos's Campo Marina, Italian restaurant. I felt like gnocchi, and my boyfriend felt like their veal tortellini. Because we were staying at the top of a mountain with a view to the west, we wanted to order the food to go and then bring it back to our B&B to eat it on the patio.

We drove down to Campo Marina. It was a cute little restaurant full of families and couples on vacation. The interior was softly lit and rather spacious - booths were everywhere and artwork lined every wall. It was so busy, we had to flag down someone to take our order to go. However, we must have flagged down the owner of the restaurant. He asked, almost aghast, "Why would you want to take it to go?! Why don't you want to eat it here?!"

We explained that we wanted to take it to go to enjoy our view. He asked what we wanted to eat. We told him. He said, "Ahh, that's easy. I can get that made in 5 minutes. /If you were to eat here, it would take you at least 45 minutes."

He went and then came back. When he came back he said, "How about this. I'll get you guys in and out of here in 45 minutes if you eat here". I understood this, but my boyfriend thought he meant that he'd be able to give us the food within 45 minutes and we'd just take a seat in the restaurant while we were waiting.

Favorite Dish: We sat down and were served our dinner at the table after 10 minutes. My boyfriend wasn't impressed - he didn't want to be questioned by he wanted the food to go. He felt that he was tricked into eating at the restaurant. It was never an issue about rushing out. If we wanted to eat inside, we'd take our time. I guess the owner thought we were in a rush and wanted to order out because we'd bypass the long line for food. But it had nothing to do with time - we just wanted good food to eat back at our B&B patio.

Regardless, we started to eat our meals at our table, then got the rest of it to go. By the time we left the restaurant, it was already dark out. We missed the sunset.

Despite this odd situation, the food was really good and the service was good... it's just too bad they wouldn't say yes to our original request.

The gnocchi in tomato sauce. The tomato sauce was made fresh - none of the normal canned stuff you'd expect!

Nk'Mip: Fine winery cuisine with a First Nations flair

by Carmanah Updated Sep 30, 2004

Nk'Mip (pronounced Ink-a-meep) is located on the eastern shore of Osoyoos Lake just outside of downtown Osoyoos. It's the only aboriginal winery in Canada, and likely the world, so we had to try out the wines and food.

Because it was still relatively early, I wasn't in the mood to be drinking wine at the tasting bar. I did, however, enjoy a lunch outside on the large patio.

With aboriginal music on the stereo and a view of the vineyards and desert all around, it was a nice way to relax, unwind and enjoy the scenery.

Favorite Dish: Wild boar ribs and "scorpion tails" (tigerprawn shrimp on skewers, marinated and BBQ'd) - all served with a cold wild rice salad, fresh corn on the cob, and BBQ'd mushrooms, peppers and zuchini.

If shared, the food is presented in a shallow and wide basket with serving utensils and separate plates for each individual. It's quite a site!

If you're not sharing your food, each meal is presented on a cedar plank - quite visually appetizing!

The only downside is that we had to pour our own wine at lunch while everyone else seemed to be served their wine. Strange.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

WINDMILL ICE CREAM: ICE CREAM PARLOR

by LoriPori Written Oct 21, 2004

Windmill Ice Cream

The WINDMILL ICE CREAM was just down the street from our motel so we took a walk down and each had an ice cream. I had my favourite-- butter pecan. MMM

Instant Answers: Osoyoos

Comments

Osoyoos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Osoyoos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Osoyoos sightseeing.