Port Hardy Travel Guide

• You've reached the end of Island Highway 19
    You've reached the end of Island Highway...
    Fire place
    On the Ferry

Port Hardy Things to Do

• wilsonjw's Profile Photo

by wilsonjw Written Dec 30, 2008

Coal Harbour is just "down the road" about 14 km, and is well worth the trip. Coal Harbour is a historic fishing and mining town, that's now oriented toward charter fishing and tourism. It's also the gateway to Quatsino, BC.

• trek06's Profile Photo
    tree on road 4 more images

by trek06 Written Dec 5, 2005

I stayed two nights at the Western Forest Products Recreational campground which is has vehicle accessible camping just outside the park. The park does not have vehicle accesible camping. When I stayed here I was returning from Port Alice and had done enough driving for one day. I was warned by a local that cougars frequent the campground, which doesn't surprise me given the terrain. After exploring around the river and taking pictures I climbed a bank and brushed a wasp nest. They covered one arm and left me around twenty stings.
    Good thing I'm not allergic! I never thought I could run so fast. I'm sure it would of made a funny video. Luckily my dog was the only spectator.
    As you can see by the photos this place is stunning. You can learn a lot from the website.
    Next time I'm in the area I will explore more!

• Camping
    • Eco-Tourism

• trek06's Profile Photo
    Port Alice 4 more images

by trek06 Written Dec 5, 2005

You should visit all three communites as you explore in between. Port Alice is the smallest of the three but is so scenic. If you need to take care of busines or get supplies Port Hardy is your best bet. Port McNeil is another scenic friendly community.

• Beaches
    • Camping
    • Eco-Tourism

Port Hardy Hotels

Port Hardy What to Pack

• wilsonjw's Profile Photo

by wilsonjw Written Dec 30, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Port Hardy is at the northern end of Vancouver Island, and there is always plenty of rain. Be prepared!

Photo Equipment: Bring a nice camera -- you'll use it. Between the wildlife and the town, there are a lot of good photographs to be taken and enjoyed.

Miscellaneous: Port Hardy wraps up a lot of services during the "off season". We arrived during the Christmas holiday to find nearly everything in town closed. Christmas was on a Thursday this year, and since Boxing Day is a national holiday, everything was closed on Friday, as well. Several of the hotels in town were closed completely, and others closed their restaurants during that period.

The local convenience stores were open, however, as was the local Subway franchise.

Instant Answers: Port Hardy

Comments

Port Hardy Travel Guide
Map of Port Hardy