Sooke Travel Guide

Sooke Things to Do

• kehale's Profile Photo

by kehale Written Aug 7, 2014

My husband visited the river with friends the first two summers that we lived in BC. Finally, during our third summer living out here we made a family trip over to Vancouver Island to go camping and spend a day in the Sooke River & Pot Holes. We arrived a little earlier (around 11am) to ensure we could easily get a parking spot. We had no issue parking, but within minutes of arriving all of the spots around us were full. We enjoyed some time as a family soaking in the beautiful scenery and playing in the water. After a while there the guys headed to the top of the river to make their way down, swimming, climbing and jumping the whole way down.
    Once you arrive and park you can decide how far up you want to walk. We picked the third turn off, off the main road and were pleased with the relatively private area. It wasn't too busy where we were and the water was shallow for most of it, which was perfect for playing with little ones.
    Whether you are looking for a day of adventure (swimming down the river) or a relaxing day at the "beach" - The Sooke River offers the best of both worlds. It's such a beautiful area and totally worth the drive out there!

• Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Camping

by Carmanah Updated Feb 18, 2008

Sheringham Point Lighthouse is a bit of a local's secret. It's located at the end of Sheringham Point Road in the community of Shirley, but there's a chain link fence preventing people from getting closer to it. It's therefore very handy that somebody has made a gigantic hole in the fence.

Once you walk through the hole in the fence, there is an easy trail through very tall grass to get to the lighthouse. And what a lighthouse it is! Situated at the southern tip of Vancouver Island overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca, it makes for some beautiful panoramic photos.

Although you can't enter the lighthouse, you can wander around it. Strangely, there was a monument located next to the lighthouse commemorating the USA-Canada border. Apparently a short distance off shore from that monument, the international border bends. Considering the lighthouse is officially off limits to the public, it was strange seeing it there!

Sheringham Point Lighthouse Sheringham Point Lighthouse The view of the water from the lighthouse Sheringham Point Lighthouse What a strangely placed monument!
    • Architecture

by Carmanah Updated Feb 18, 2008

Driftwood Stables is where my friend rides and gives lessons. She treated us to free horseback riding here, which was a real treat! We took the horses across the street and down the hill to the beach.

I was riding a western saddle with my horse initially, although we found out later that the horse I was riding didn't know western! So I found it very difficult to control the horse, especially on the beach where he was acting very stubborn.

Since my friends had lots of experience riding horses, and they happened to be riding English saddle on very tame easy-to-control horses, we decided it would be best to switch horses. So right there on the beach in Sooke was my first time ever riding English saddle on a horse. It was actually a lot more intuitive and comfortable.

After the switch we continued along the beach, then followed the main street for a bit and then proceeded through the fields full of wildflowers and blackberries. We eventually entered a trail into the temperate rainforest, and this was really beautiful and enchanting. It was such a wonderful, relaxing experience that I highly recommend it to anybody.

Although there doesn't seem to be a contact for Driftwood Stables, they're located on the main highway connecting Sooke to Jordan River. They're located just west of downtown Sooke.

Horses at Driftwood Stables My horse, Pic. Me and Pic Driftwood Stables as seen from the roadside. Driftwood Stables
    • Horse Riding

PO Box 964, Sooke, V9Z 1H9, Canada

• Cape Cod Bed And Breakfast

5782 Anderson Cove Road, Sooke, V0S 1N0, Canada

Good for: Couples

• Eliza Point Bed And Breakfast By The Sea...

6514 Thornett Rd, Sooke, British Columbia, V0S 1N0, Canada

Sooke Restaurants

by Carmanah Updated Jul 29, 2007

Located on the edge of a tiny stripmall off the main highway is the Alternative Kitchen. It's very tiny (they can maybe serve 6 parties at once) and it looks like it hasn't changed since the 1970's. This is okay - this is Sooke, a very relaxed, unpretensious place. But it looks like a place where fishermen hang out where you'd order burger and fries. I was definitely not expecting to see the healthy, green, and fresh food served on everybody's plates!

Not that Vancouver Island is a burger & fries type of place, but when you get into the smaller towns, restaurant options become more limited. But this is indeed Sooke's Alternative Kitchen, if you're looking for something different than fast food or pub food.

Favorite Dish: I was pleasantly surprised to find the large assortment of choices on the menu, from all day breakfast to sandwiches, burgers, salads, and wraps.

I had the curried chicken and mango wrap. It was definitely one of the best wraps I've ever had. I'm so used to eating wraps where they've just stuffed the thing full of cheap meat with maybe a handful of icceburg lettuce, but this wrap had a wide variety of fresh vegetables inside - it tasted like the kind of salads my dad used to make from his vegetable garden. Generous portions of green leaf lettuce, shredded carrots and celery, yellow peppers, juicy, red tomato slices and a portion of onion. Then there were strips of chicken breast and fresh ripe mango.

Sooke Shopping

by Carmanah Updated Aug 2, 2007

We made two stops at Sooke's Village Food Markets to pick up some snack food as well as some lunch items. They have all the things you'd generally need from a grocery store - including organic produce - but the reason I'm mentioning it here is because they have a fantastic deli and bakery section. If you're on the road and looking to pick up some quick picnic type foods, this is the place.

They're open every day of the week from 8am until 9pm.

What to buy: - bulk foods (with a good selection of bulk candies!)
    - fresh fruit (especially fruit in season, like watermelon, peaches, strawberries, cherries, etc)
    - potato salad!
    - pre-packaged veggies and dip
    - pre-made sandwiches (the chicken sandwich on olive bread is delicious!)
    - Thai chicken noodle salad (made with a Thai peanut sauce on a bed of greens)
    - macaroon cookies (very chewy, sticky, but delicious!)

I also eyed this one cake they have called "worms and dirt". It's a chocolate cake with gummy worms piled on top finished with a fine dusting of Oreo cookie crumbs. They even had worms and dirt cupcakes. So tempting!

What to pay: The prices are much cheaper than what I was used to in Vancouver.

Instant Answers: Sooke

Comments

Sooke Travel Guide
Map of Sooke