Steveston Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Steveston

Sockeye City Grill: One of the nicest waterfront patios in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Dec 28, 2007

On the patio at the Sockeye City Grill

Located at Steveston Landing overlooking the fishing boats on the river, if you're looking for a casual, family-friendly seafood restaurant with a view, this one takes the cake. Prices have increased since I frequented this restaurant earlier in the decade, but it's still a good restaurant when you're craving fish n' chips, seafood pasta, or oyster burgers.

Favorite Dish: I recently had their fish n' chips, but I cheated - I swapped the chips for seafood chowder. When you order fish n' chips, you can order wild BC cod, halibut, salmon, or even prawns, but the pricing varies accordingly - halibut being the most expensive; cod, the cheapest. I ordered the small portion (1 piece) of salmon which was battered lightly and cooked perfectly. They serve it all on a large glass plate shaped like a fish, and you also get a hefty dollop of creamy coleslaw with raisins in it. Price is approximately $10 a plate, give or take a few dollars.

Ichiro Japanese Restaurant: A nice local find

by aqazi Written Oct 7, 2007

I'd passed the restaurant a number of times but I could never remember to try it when coming into the village for dinner. Recently I did manage to visit the place with family. First of all the place was busy and even though we resered in advance we still had to wait for a table for 30 mins. Once we were seated the menu looked interesting and we were more than happy with the food we ordered. I think the food is on the pricy side but it was nice. They also has daily specials which was a nice touch. I'm sure I would return but with cheaper options close by I might make this a special occasions venue. Being on Chatham and not Moncton probably means that the restaurant misses out on a lot of passing trade but given the time we had to wait to get a table I don't think this really effects the popularity of the restaurant. The clientelle appeared to be mainly caucasian so I'm not sure if this is trully representatie of the target market of the kind of food the restaurant panders towards. Give it a go and find out for yourself!

• Castles and Palaces

The Point: A Newcomer

by aqazi Written Aug 25, 2007

For our anniversary we decided to try a new comer to the area to try something new. The menu is seafood heavy as you'd expect with a few suprises. The prices are fine and in line with the competition. The decor is OK and they have a small patio. In general its OK. Its located close to Garry Point Park and is just off the main village area though a fairly short walk. Its a nice alternative and I'm sure we'll return at some point though. The customer base is very local and I didn't notice any visitors like you might find on the boardwalk.

• Yokohama: Worst Japanese restaurant

by rainbow_who Written Aug 18, 2007

We ordered Lobster, scallops, and prawns dinner $27 and Sukiyaki hot pot dinner $17 .
    The scallops were fake scallops. The pot of Sukiyaki sauce tasted like one spoon of soy sauce that was mixed with water and dash of pepper.
    It was the worst japanese dinner experience I have ever had.

Kisamo's Greek Taverna: My favourite Greek restaurant

by Carmanah Updated Jul 19, 2007

Kisamos on Moncton Street

A good friend of mine once said about Greek cooking, "You know the food is good when you can taste the garlic the next day!" And Kisamo's is one of those places! Excellent authentic Greek food run by a Greek couple.

My parents would always order from Kisamos whenever we felt like Greek take-out. I think I only ate inside of Kisamos once. There's a heavy Mediterranian Greek theme which is very cute, but be warned, the restaurant is tiny so it only takes a few full tables before the place feels very crowded.

Favorite Dish: We'd always order the calamari for an appetizer. For our main meal, we'd get a souvlaki dinner for about $9. It included a bed of rice, 2 roast potatos, 4 pieces of toasted pita bread, a generous heap of tzasiki sauce, a quality Greek salad, a skewer of lamb, chicken, pork or beef souvlaki... and one spicy pickled chili pepper!

La Tandoor: The only Indian restaurant in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Jul 19, 2007

Grilling tandoori chicken on Canada Day

La Tandoor is a small hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant located in the heart of Steveston village. It's your typical Indian restaurant, serving curries, rogan josh, lamb vindaloo, and various vegetarian dishes. On Canada Day, they sometimes grill chicken and Indian delicacies from a BBQ on the sidewalk. While I've never eaten inside this restaurant, my family would frequently order take-out from them whenever we craved Indian food.

Steveston trivia: My grandparents used to own Island Cleaners, a dry cleaning business, which was located in the very building that La Tandoor now uses. I have childhood memories of visiting them in this building, which makes it a bit strange for me to see a restaurant there now.

Favorite Dish: I was always a fan of their butter chicken, especially when you eat it with their naan bread.

• George's Restaurant, Steveton: Poor service at popular Greek restaurant

by mar21books Written Jul 3, 2007

Have visited George's many times and have always been happy with it. However, my friend and I had a bad experience on Canada Day 2007.
    Were at a table for half an hour before being given a menu or asked if we wanted drinks. Didn't mind this much as we were enjoying chatting but were getting rather thirsty! We didn't complain about the wait but gave our food order. I had questions about a couple of menu items to which our waitress's answer was 'I don't know'.
    When food arrived, half an hour later, mine was different item from one I ordered but excellent so didn't mention the mistake and started to enjoy our meal after I had fetched cutlery as this was not brought to us and the waitress didn't notice.
    Half way through the meal we finished our beers and decided to order more but weren't able to attract waitress's attention. I went to ask her for a beer but half hour later it still hadn't arrived. Neither had pitta bread part of our lunch. We asked the waitress.She shrugged and spoke to us in an indolent way and finally brought us half our pitta bread.
    A group of people at next table were shocked by her attitude. My friend went to the kitchen counter and spoke to the owner, explaining situation.He said if we had a problem we should speak to our waitress. My friend replied that our waitress seemed to be ignoring us and that we had finished our main meal now. He slammed a dish down on the counter. A cashier then said to my friend: "Stop ***ing and whining and shut the f*** up!"
    Our beer finally arrived, followed quickly by the bill!
    My friend went back to see the owner as we felt we should not be charged full amount for such appalling treatment.
    The people at the next table were so shocked that they cancelled their order and left the restaurant.
    In the end we didn't have to pay for our food, but we were both upset. An apology would have been appreciated but this never came.
    The restaurant was busy when we arrived, but not busy while we were eating.

Favorite Dish: Enjoyed the seafood souvlaki lunch, even though I ordered the tiger prawn souvlaki, but won't be going there again.

Le Nakamura: A New Japanese on the Block

by aqazi Written Apr 29, 2007

There are already a couple of Japanese Restaurants in town so it was interesting to see where the Nakamura would fit. Its in a new building next door to starbucks and the decor is smart and clean. There's nothing special in the menu which includes all the regular fare. The food always arrives piping hot and the sushi and saahimi is nice and fresh. Taste wise the food is OK. We've been here a couple of times now and I thinks its perhaps more out of convenience than anything to do with the food. Prices are higher than in the rest of Ruchmond/Vancouver and the quality is fine but not outstanding. Will still probaby end up coming again unless another place opens up any time soon.

• Hiking and Walking

La Tandoor: Better than all the rest

by aqazi Updated Mar 18, 2007

If you have read some of my other posts then you'll be aware of my hatred for the west coast's effort at indian food (or East Indian as they say here). The perils of the now infomous tomato soup curry that they serve labelled as butter chicken has me lunging for the puke bag everytime. Here's a restaurant round the corner from home that tries its best to be a bit more authentic than the rest. Its not true home style but it reeks a little less of campbells than the others. Service is super freindly and the buffet is small and frequently replenished. The outside looks posher than the inside and could do with a helping hand from the restaurant makeover team. Anyway this is honest indian food with an emphasis on northern indian tondoori cooking. If you're in steveston and bored of all the fish and chips then you shouldn't be dissapointed here. The buffet is medium hot so if you're a bit frail pick a la carte and they'll prepare things to your taste.

Steveston Seafood House: Great for the Grown Ups

by aqazi Written Sep 28, 2006

I believed that this was one of the poshest restaurants in the village...well that's what I thought every time I walked past. Anyway we went there for my mother's birthday as a treat and we expecting great things. The dining room is very pretty and it has the old school decor. The menu had meat options as well as the fish but obviously we all took to the seafood. Everything was pretty good and the portions were of a nice size. Prices weren't as bad as I thoguht they might have been but I did find the service very slow and it was difficult to catch thte waiting staff as the place was busy. My wife also had the misfortune of not communicating her request for her leftovers to be packed up to take home so when she doubled checked they had already trown most of it away. I'm not sure we'll be rushing back but I think it makes a great venu to treating the folks and grandparents.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Kari House: Of all places!

by aqazi Written Sep 28, 2006

This is kind of a strange place to have a Malaysian/Singaporean restaurant. With lot of restaurants operating in the areas you'd think competition would be stiff but if you're after something a little spicy then its here or the Indian around the corner. The Kari House is hidden down the side of one of the waterside shopping arcades and occupies a waterfront position though I'm not sure the garden dining furniture really takes full advantage of the location. The food though was good...I wouldn't say it was exceptional but we liked it and found in great value for money given the location. We will be returning to sample more of the dishes very soon and they also do lunch specials for $6.95 which is pretty good by me. As far as I am aware the meat served in NOT halal so call or ask in advance to be sure.

Charterhouse: Great View

by aqazi Written Apr 10, 2006

We were with the inlaws so the occasion deserved fabric table cloths and stainless steel utensils. The restaurant is located to the far left of the bunch and is above a row of shop so you have to take the stairs or the elavator. It appeared that the restaurant is run by a Greek family as Souvlaki also appears on a seafood dominated menu. Of course we were here for the fish and chips however given the wide variety of options I was the only one who had the fish and chips. My food was excellent and I rate it at the top end of the scale for F&C in Steveston. The rest of the group weren't overly impresses with the non F&C options and stood out as nothing from the ordinary. Anyway prices were keen and if you're here for the view and a bite to eat on the whole its pretty good. The batter on th efish was delightfully light and the fish itseft was perfect.

Yokohama: Yokal Japanese

by aqazi Written Jan 15, 2006

AYCE is all the rage in Vancouver and the best place to go is a hot topic. In Richmond too, the competition is hot and the prices are keen. For my birthday I had the opportunity to pick where we went and rather than head of into the coty I though we'd take walk into the village to taste something new and I'd been itching to taste Yoko's buffet. In preparation I skipped breakfast and lunch to make sure I was suitably hungry. The buffet menu was pretty good but they did limit the amount of Sashimi but everything else you good order until you'd had your fill. The service here is great and very attentive and our cup were never empty and whenever our table approached being empty out came another order slip to replenish our plates. All in all a good good experience but given that AYCE are everywhere I'm not sure this is the best as they don't offer a barbecue. I'd probably return though because its local and the food is pretty good and again the service is very good. I read on Cam's tip that they give you your coupon back and its true, we got our 10% coupon back so we could use it again!

Shady Island Restaurant: Great Sunday Brunch

by aqazi Written Nov 19, 2005

So it was a dull sunday and given this was the only break in teh rain for weeks we decided to take a walk down the boardwalk. For a November weekend at 10C it was surpisingly busy. There's so much choice in Steveston but we decided to try something new and Shady's had a sunday brunch menu. Of course the menu is seafood dominated which is a big pul for me anyway. The service was fine but the food I thought was great and the portions were plentiful. The restaurant was quite busy and the experience was satisfying. I had the seafood hash and my wife sampled the chowder. I didn't think the chowder was as good as my wife made it out to be but then that's her opinion. I would give the place a thumbs up, if their service was more attentive then I'd give it two thumbs up.

Tapenade: Spanish food in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Jul 22, 2005

Tapenade Bistro (from their website)

As you might have gathered, Steveston is famous for casual seafood and more specifically, fish & chips. However, if this kind of cuisine scene has left you scratching your head for other options, be happy to know that Tapenade is just around the corner!

Tapenade is a wonderful Spanish tapas restaurant near Steveston Landing. They opened in 2003 and have been providing Steveston with a more urban bistro scene. If you're looking for a casual lunch or dinner, but something a bit more upscale than most other restaurants in town, Tapenade would be my recommendation.

I first went to Tapenade with my Dad in July of 2005. We went for lunch and sat on their large outside deck. Note that Tapenade also has indoor seating. The interior looks really nice - like a warm Meditteranean environment. Interesting tidbit - their interior decorated was done by the same person who has done some of the top Mediterranean restaurants in Vancouver!

Anyhow, Tapenade has brunch, lunch and dinner menus, although I've only been for lunch. While they do have a large variety of tapas, they also have lunch and dinner entrées.

The prices here are very reasonable, considering that the service is friendly and very effifient.

Favorite Dish: My Dad and I first shared a half litre of their house Chiléan white. We were served a homemade sweet orange bread which was fantastic!

I then ordered the Prawns Provençal which was the lunch special of the day. It had 5 local jumbo prawns (the kind that look and taste like miniature lobsters!), sautéed with fresh garlic tomatoes, capers, white wine and herbs-de-provençe. It was served with a mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. It was honestly one of the best prawn dishes I've ever had!

My Dad ended up having their Italian panini, which unlike some restaurants where the paninis are made from huge portions of bread, the Tapenade paninis were made from homemade toasted baguette - it looked very manageable to eat, and not over the top. My dad, who enjoys the best of gourmet cuisine, loved it!

For dessert, I had their apple crepe which is something I don't normally order if "toffee cake" or "creme brulée" is on the men, but the fact that the apples were sauteed with honey and cinnamon, and then served with vanilla ice cream... it just sounded so good to me! That's exactly what I ordered, and it didn't disappoint!

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Steveston

Comments

Steveston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Steveston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Steveston sightseeing.