Steveston Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Steveston

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Tapenade: Spanish food in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Jul 22, 2005

As you might have gathered, Steveston is famous for casual seafood and more specifically, fish & chips. However, if this kind of cuisine scene has left you scratching your head for other options, be happy to know that Tapenade is just around the corner!

Tapenade is a wonderful Spanish tapas restaurant near Steveston Landing. They opened in 2003 and have been providing Steveston with a more urban bistro scene. If you're looking for a casual lunch or dinner, but something a bit more upscale than most other restaurants in town, Tapenade would be my recommendation.

I first went to Tapenade with my Dad in July of 2005. We went for lunch and sat on their large outside deck. Note that Tapenade also has indoor seating. The interior looks really nice - like a warm Meditteranean environment. Interesting tidbit - their interior decorated was done by the same person who has done some of the top Mediterranean restaurants in Vancouver!

Anyhow, Tapenade has brunch, lunch and dinner menus, although I've only been for lunch. While they do have a large variety of tapas, they also have lunch and dinner entrées.

The prices here are very reasonable, considering that the service is friendly and very effifient.

Favorite Dish: My Dad and I first shared a half litre of their house Chiléan white. We were served a homemade sweet orange bread which was fantastic!

I then ordered the Prawns Provençal which was the lunch special of the day. It had 5 local jumbo prawns (the kind that look and taste like miniature lobsters!), sautéed with fresh garlic tomatoes, capers, white wine and herbs-de-provençe. It was served with a mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. It was honestly one of the best prawn dishes I've ever had!

My Dad ended up having their Italian panini, which unlike some restaurants where the paninis are made from huge portions of bread, the Tapenade paninis were made from homemade toasted baguette - it looked very manageable to eat, and not over the top. My dad, who enjoys the best of gourmet cuisine, loved it!

For dessert, I had their apple crepe which is something I don't normally order if "toffee cake" or "creme brulée" is on the men, but the fact that the apples were sauteed with honey and cinnamon, and then served with vanilla ice cream... it just sounded so good to me! That's exactly what I ordered, and it didn't disappoint!

Tapenade Bistro (from their website)

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Dave's Fish & Chips: Another great F&C spot

by aqazi Written Feb 13, 2005

We're still trying to find out which F&C restaurant rules in Steveston and our second trip took us to Dave's. They have a take away bar and a restaurant that even liscenced. We had to wait around for a table for a while but the food and service was fine. The soft drinks came with free refils and the portions were generous. I thought the prices were OK, but slightly on the high side. For that you do get to eat in doors though the restaurant could do with sprucing up though I guess part of the charm is that this is really an old school dining experience.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Excellent seafood restaurants

by meteorologist1 Written Dec 12, 2004

The Fisherman's Wharf in Steveston has some excellent seafood restaurants. It's a hard decision to make: between the excellent Chinese food in Richmond and the excellent seafood in Steveston. I say, go for the seafood!

Fisherman's Wharf in Steveston
    • Luxury Travel

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Kari House: Kari House

by Carmanah Updated Oct 14, 2004

Last year new development went up on prime Steveston waterfront, opening up spaces to house new restaurants and boutiques. I've been spending so much time away from home in recent months that I haven't been witnessing these changes. Sometime within the month, Steveston's first and only Malaysian restaurant, Kari House, opened, and I had no idea! Steveston - home of fish 'n chips and 4 Greek restaurants, had a Malaysian restaurant? Since when?

Lucky for us, this restaurant is literally down the road. Finally, Steveston's starting to adopt some of the tasty and flavourful Asian cuisine that the rest of Richmond and Vancouver savours. Certainly, Steveston always had Japanese and Chinese options, but never south-east Asian delicacies such as Malaysian food!

We decided to order this food for pick-up, so I never got to enjoy the full sit-down experience, but there's always next time!

Favorite Dish: Kari House serves very fresh, flavourful and spicy Malaysian food. My mom was expecting something similar to westernized Chinese food, but was quite pleasantly surprised to taste these treats! My dad (who had been to Malaysia), whose passion is tasty, ethnic cuisine, was in heaven.

My family shared the following for dinner in October of 2004:

Roti Canai ($2.95) - 2 pieces of Mayasian flaky bread served with curry sauce. I found this similar to Indian naan bread, except it was lighter, less buttery and more flavourful.

Malaysian Satay ($7.95) - 4 skewers of grilled marinated chicken with peanut sauce. This is no different than chicken satays I eat in local Thai restaurants.

Chicken with Cashew Nuts ($9.95) - Boneless chicken pieces with cashew nuts and vegetables, stir-fried with whole red chili peppers to make this one very spicy dish!

Curry Mixed Vegetables ($9.95) - Mixed vegetables with curry sauce and coconut milk. The vegetables seemed to be a blend of green cabbage, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, among others.

Mee Goreng ($9.95) - Pan fried noodles with ground peanuts, egg, and dried onion on top. It had a very sweet tamarind flavour. We decided to order the beef mee goreng, but we could have also chosen chicken, pork, prawns or vegetarian.

All together this came to a little over $40. All prices in Canadian dollars of course. Not a bad way to feed a family of four on a Thursday night!

• aqazi's Profile Photo

PaJos fish and Chips: Fish and chips fresh from the sea!

by aqazi Written Sep 13, 2004

We'd heard so much about the fish and chips served up in Steveston that we had to pay a visit. We suprised by just how many different vendors there were but decide to go for PaJo's. We chose halibut which was the most expensive fish but my favourite. The chips we good, fried with the skin on. The fish was tasty too but the mrs thought there was too much batter. They had plenty of condiments including brown and tartar sauce. Next time we'll check out one of the others to find out which is best. Portions were large. We share on large poition between the two of us and it was plent big enough. Seating is plentiful and they have these custome made seats for to which have hole cut in them to slot your cone of fish and chips.

pic from their website

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Jake's on the Pier: Excellent Halibut and Chips

by CdnJane Written Aug 12, 2004

Along the boardwalk/pier there are many restaurants to choose from - lots of fish & chips to try. We picked Jakes because of the fact that there were a couple of tables outside available with shade, and the fact that people weren't walking past the tables, doing what we had done - checked out people's plates to see what looked good! My only criticism of the patio was that the railing was just a little too high to have a clear view of the harbour while sitting down. Minor problem in the big scheme of things.

Favorite Dish: I had the 2 pieces of Halibut with chips (fries) and coleslaw. They were big pieces of fish and a nice, crispy batter. I thought that it was about the best fish I'd had - the fries were good but I'm not a big fries fan. The coleslaw was quite good too.
    My cousin had the salmon & chips and she found the 2 pieces a little too much. Her husband had the special - scallops and oysters (or was it clams?) deep fried. He felt that there was too much batter on them and it was difficult to tell them apart. That wasn't a big hit.

Jake's on the Pier

• duanestorey's Profile Photo

Pajo's: Great Fish and Chips

by duanestorey Written Jul 2, 2003

Pajo's claims to have world famous fish and chips, and it situated right on the water in Steveston. My friends saw they are really great, but I have yet to eat here.

Favorite Dish: Hey, you can't go wrong with world famous fish and chips!

Fish and chips

• sunnywong's Profile Photo

Restaurant around Steveston, Richmond

by sunnywong Written Sep 5, 2002

For a real treat, pick up take-out fish and chips at Dave's Fish and Chips (3460 Moncton) or spoon up chowder (summer only) at Pajo's, a boat restaurant anchored at the dock. For more of a meal try the patio at Sleigh's Restaurant (terrific paella or crab) or Steveston Seafood House (3951 Moncton Street, 604.271.5252).

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

The Crab King: CRAB

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 12, 2012

Dining at the Crab King is a special thing, because the restaurant floats in the Steveston harbour. At times the way to the place maybe steep, so wear some flat shoes.

Open daily: 11AM - 9PM

Favorite Dish: Crab.

The Crab King - Steveston
    • Beer Tasting

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Cimona: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeaway

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 12, 2012

Cimona Cafe offers great breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
    Of course you can stop by in between for a coffee or so.

Business hours:
    Mo-Sa: 8AM - 9PM
    Su: 8AM - 5PM

Cimona Cafe - Steveston
    • Beer Tasting

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Pajo's Fish & Chips

by frankcanfly Written Sep 16, 2003

If you're just passing through for a few hours like we did, you might want to try some Fish & Chips. This place is on a floating pier, and serves very fresh fish.

Instant Answers: Steveston

Comments

Steveston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Steveston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Steveston sightseeing.