Steveston Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Steveston

Charthouse Restaurant: An uninspiring and overpriced tourist trap

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

Charthouse Restaurant

Just don't bother. While this is definitely one of the most impressive views of the waterfront in Steveston, I wish I could say the same thing for the interior or the food.

The Charthouse is located on the second floor of the Steveston Landing and looks over the wharf and the Fraser River, hence the nice views.

The menu features a selection of local seafood as well as non-local seafood... and steak, and pasta, and souvlaki, etc. However, I was never truly inspired by their food - very bland. It's like one of those restaurants on Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares where they're trying to cater to everybody by having a million things on the menu, but they do none of it well. It's also a bit strange that they're a seafood restaurant overlooking the water (and fresh seafood being sold from fishing boats no less), but they're using canned crab and shrimp - it's that kind of place, which is a shame. And not only that, but they're charging way too much for what's very uninspiring food.

• Seniors

• aqazi's Profile Photo

PaJos fish and Chips: Fish and chips fresh from the sea!

by aqazi Written Sep 13, 2004

pic from their website

We'd heard so much about the fish and chips served up in Steveston that we had to pay a visit. We suprised by just how many different vendors there were but decide to go for PaJo's. We chose halibut which was the most expensive fish but my favourite. The chips we good, fried with the skin on. The fish was tasty too but the mrs thought there was too much batter. They had plenty of condiments including brown and tartar sauce. Next time we'll check out one of the others to find out which is best. Portions were large. We share on large poition between the two of us and it was plent big enough. Seating is plentiful and they have these custome made seats for to which have hole cut in them to slot your cone of fish and chips.

• duanestorey's Profile Photo

Pajo's: Great Fish and Chips

by duanestorey Written Jul 2, 2003

Fish and chips

Pajo's claims to have world famous fish and chips, and it situated right on the water in Steveston. My friends saw they are really great, but I have yet to eat here.

Favorite Dish: Hey, you can't go wrong with world famous fish and chips!

Shady Island Bar & Grill: Shady Island Bar & Grill

by Carmanah Updated Jul 10, 2008

Shady Island Bar & Grill (left)

This restaurant is all about location and atmosphere. It has that sea shanty theme going with a real fishing boat dangling from the rafters, but the patio's a great place to be. Shady Island Bar & Grill is a casual seafood restaurant - we'd often come here for brunch on special occasions. It has the feeling that it caters to tourists more than locals, but every time I've eaten here, I've had good service and good food.

Favorite Dish: I had the seafood gratinée when I last visited. It had pieces of halibut, scallops and prawns sautéed in a cream sauce with Swiss cheese melted on top. Quite delicious! Similar to the French dish, "Coquilles St-Jacques". However, I find their strength is in their west coast seafood dishes (ie: shellfish, salmon, halibut, etc).

La Tandoor: The only Indian restaurant in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Jul 19, 2007

Grilling tandoori chicken on Canada Day

La Tandoor is a small hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant located in the heart of Steveston village. It's your typical Indian restaurant, serving curries, rogan josh, lamb vindaloo, and various vegetarian dishes. On Canada Day, they sometimes grill chicken and Indian delicacies from a BBQ on the sidewalk. While I've never eaten inside this restaurant, my family would frequently order take-out from them whenever we craved Indian food.

Steveston trivia: My grandparents used to own Island Cleaners, a dry cleaning business, which was located in the very building that La Tandoor now uses. I have childhood memories of visiting them in this building, which makes it a bit strange for me to see a restaurant there now.

Favorite Dish: I was always a fan of their butter chicken, especially when you eat it with their naan bread.

Ichiro: Quality Japanese food in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Dec 28, 2007

This is a restaurant that opened up in late 2006 to a very positive reception. It's about time that an authentic Japanese restaurant opened up, especially considering Steveston's Japanese heritage!

Ichiro delivers on many levels. It has fresh, high quality Japanese food beautifully presented with many unique spins on old favourites. The interior is tasteful and well spaced out. Servers are friendly and efficient. Prices are fair. It's always busy, especially with the Japanese, which is definitely a good sign. A nice bonus is that it stays open until 10pm, which for Steveston, is practically unheard of.

Favorite Dish: I like ordering à la carte when at Japanese restaurants, and Ichiro's excellent for this because they have so many options, so just experiment and order a bunch of things and have fun with it.

The Steveston agedashi tofu comes as 4 pieces in a bowl. Each piece has a cube of tofu with pieces of fresh asparagus, crab meat, and salmon wrapped in nori (toasted seaweed) and deep fried in a light batter then served in a brothy sauce. I highly recommend it.

The oshinko maki (Japanese pickle roll) is very fresh - the pickle's very crispy.

I also really like their gomaae - cold cooked spinach in a sesame sauce.

The BBQ pike mackerel was decent, but not a favourite of mine. I liked the way it was prepared (skin/tail on, filleted down the middle, marinated in a sweet sauce and BBQ'ed skin side down), but I think I'll order a more luxurious fish the next time around, otherwise, this tasted like a very large sardine.

Sockeye City Grill: One of the nicest waterfront patios in Steveston

On the patio at the Sockeye City Grill

Located at Steveston Landing overlooking the fishing boats on the river, if you're looking for a casual, family-friendly seafood restaurant with a view, this one takes the cake. Prices have increased since I frequented this restaurant earlier in the decade, but it's still a good restaurant when you're craving fish n' chips, seafood pasta, or oyster burgers.

Favorite Dish: I recently had their fish n' chips, but I cheated - I swapped the chips for seafood chowder. When you order fish n' chips, you can order wild BC cod, halibut, salmon, or even prawns, but the pricing varies accordingly - halibut being the most expensive; cod, the cheapest. I ordered the small portion (1 piece) of salmon which was battered lightly and cooked perfectly. They serve it all on a large glass plate shaped like a fish, and you also get a hefty dollop of creamy coleslaw with raisins in it. Price is approximately $10 a plate, give or take a few dollars.

Kisamo's Greek Taverna: My favourite Greek restaurant

by Carmanah Updated Jul 19, 2007

Kisamos on Moncton Street

A good friend of mine once said about Greek cooking, "You know the food is good when you can taste the garlic the next day!" And Kisamo's is one of those places! Excellent authentic Greek food run by a Greek couple.

My parents would always order from Kisamos whenever we felt like Greek take-out. I think I only ate inside of Kisamos once. There's a heavy Mediterranian Greek theme which is very cute, but be warned, the restaurant is tiny so it only takes a few full tables before the place feels very crowded.

Favorite Dish: We'd always order the calamari for an appetizer. For our main meal, we'd get a souvlaki dinner for about $9. It included a bed of rice, 2 roast potatos, 4 pieces of toasted pita bread, a generous heap of tzasiki sauce, a quality Greek salad, a skewer of lamb, chicken, pork or beef souvlaki... and one spicy pickled chili pepper!

PaJo's Fish & Chips: Fish 'n chips on the water

Pajo's at Steveston's waterfront

The coolest little take-out fish n chip shop you'll ever set your eyes on. PaJo's (started by partners Pat and Joanne) has been a part of the Steveston fish 'n chip dining scene since the 1980's. They're located on a wharf on the Fraser River, between the public, commercial and government fishing wharves.

The fish n chips are prepared the traditional British style. The fish - whether you choose halibut, cod, or salmon is lightly breaded and deep fried. The fish is then served on top of a pile of home cut fries (complete with potato skin) and is served in a newspaper cone. Malt and white vinegar is available, as is ketchup, tartar sauce... and if you're from the UK, you'll probably appreciate the fact that they serve mushy peas! Of course, if you're not interested in deep fried seafood, they also serve hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken strips, etc.

Health food this ain't, but when it comes to fish 'n chips on the water (complete with fishing boat traffic and seagulls stalking you for your food), nothing beats PaJo's.

Favorite Dish: The halibut and chips.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Excellent seafood restaurants

by meteorologist1 Written Dec 12, 2004

Fisherman's Wharf in Steveston

The Fisherman's Wharf in Steveston has some excellent seafood restaurants. It's a hard decision to make: between the excellent Chinese food in Richmond and the excellent seafood in Steveston. I say, go for the seafood!

• Luxury Travel

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Jake's on the Pier: Closed!

by Carmanah Updated Jul 10, 2008

Jake's on the Pier in Steveston

Jakes on the Pier was one of the original restaurants located at Steveston Landing along the east side of the complex, however after about 20 years it finally closed its doors and has been turned into the Blue Canoe. The Blue Canoe opened in June of 2008.

Jake's was, like most of Steveston's restaurants, a casual seafood restaurant, however the Blue Canoe is a huge step upward toward trendy, contemporary dining. A foodie's restaurant, so to speak. I haven't been to the Blue Canoe yet, but according to my sister, they've made it beautiful, the service is professional, and it will likely bring an entirely new level to Steveston dining.

Steveston Cannery Cafe: Good sandwiches and baked goods

by Carmanah Updated Jan 25, 2009

Steveston Cannery Caf��

Back in the early 1980's, my uncle opened up "Cannery Row Cafe" which was the first restaurant of its kind in Steveston at the time. It featured a custom-made sandwich bar, an espresso bar (before espresso drinks were remotely popular), fresh baked desserts, as well as hot entrees for breakfast and lunch. It became an immediate hit in Steveston when it opened, and is still frequently visited today. They're open daily from 7am until 4pm.

Favorite Dish: The Manhattan clam chowder here used to be award-winning back in the 80's. If they're still using the same recipe, then it's still good. It's a tomato-base soup made with fresh potatos, celery, bacon, and clams.

Everyone seemed to love the muffins at the cafe - the two most popular muffins are blueberry bran and coconut oatmeal. All the muffins are baked daily in the back kitchen.

If you're a fan of freshly baked pies, there's always at least one there. Strawberry rhubarb, blueberry, and apple were just some that you'd see.

I think my favourite foot items were the tuna melts. It would be made with two kaiser buns covered in tuna salad and edam cheese. They were then broiled until hot throughout, and served with fries or salad.

• Seniors
    • Disabilities

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Jake's on the Pier: Excellent Halibut and Chips

by CdnJane Written Aug 12, 2004

Jake's on the Pier

Along the boardwalk/pier there are many restaurants to choose from - lots of fish & chips to try. We picked Jakes because of the fact that there were a couple of tables outside available with shade, and the fact that people weren't walking past the tables, doing what we had done - checked out people's plates to see what looked good! My only criticism of the patio was that the railing was just a little too high to have a clear view of the harbour while sitting down. Minor problem in the big scheme of things.

Favorite Dish: I had the 2 pieces of Halibut with chips (fries) and coleslaw. They were big pieces of fish and a nice, crispy batter. I thought that it was about the best fish I'd had - the fries were good but I'm not a big fries fan. The coleslaw was quite good too.
    My cousin had the salmon & chips and she found the 2 pieces a little too much. Her husband had the special - scallops and oysters (or was it clams?) deep fried. He felt that there was too much batter on them and it was difficult to tell them apart. That wasn't a big hit.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Dave's Fish and Chips: They Have Great Fish in the Blue Building!

by CdnJane Written Apr 7, 2014

The paint job is definitely blue so you'll know you are in the right place... the line-up to get a table should give that away, anyhow! The concentration is on the food, so the decor isn't what draws people. This has been a place to get great fish and chips since 1978, and for a few years they had a restaurant on the boardwalk, the blue building is where it began, and where the magic still happens. Fresh fish and chips, and it all looks great. Nice feed after being out in the wind and (hopefully) sun. The options are many on the menu, but I can highly recommend the halibut.The clientele were locals and mixed seniors, families, and young and old.

Favorite Dish: Had the halibut and salad, and both were fresh and great. Had some of my aunt's fries and they were good too. Fast service, and a busy place.

Tapenade: Spanish food in Steveston

by Carmanah Updated Jul 22, 2005

Tapenade Bistro (from their website)

As you might have gathered, Steveston is famous for casual seafood and more specifically, fish & chips. However, if this kind of cuisine scene has left you scratching your head for other options, be happy to know that Tapenade is just around the corner!

Tapenade is a wonderful Spanish tapas restaurant near Steveston Landing. They opened in 2003 and have been providing Steveston with a more urban bistro scene. If you're looking for a casual lunch or dinner, but something a bit more upscale than most other restaurants in town, Tapenade would be my recommendation.

I first went to Tapenade with my Dad in July of 2005. We went for lunch and sat on their large outside deck. Note that Tapenade also has indoor seating. The interior looks really nice - like a warm Meditteranean environment. Interesting tidbit - their interior decorated was done by the same person who has done some of the top Mediterranean restaurants in Vancouver!

Anyhow, Tapenade has brunch, lunch and dinner menus, although I've only been for lunch. While they do have a large variety of tapas, they also have lunch and dinner entrées.

The prices here are very reasonable, considering that the service is friendly and very effifient.

Favorite Dish: My Dad and I first shared a half litre of their house Chiléan white. We were served a homemade sweet orange bread which was fantastic!

I then ordered the Prawns Provençal which was the lunch special of the day. It had 5 local jumbo prawns (the kind that look and taste like miniature lobsters!), sautéed with fresh garlic tomatoes, capers, white wine and herbs-de-provençe. It was served with a mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. It was honestly one of the best prawn dishes I've ever had!

My Dad ended up having their Italian panini, which unlike some restaurants where the paninis are made from huge portions of bread, the Tapenade paninis were made from homemade toasted baguette - it looked very manageable to eat, and not over the top. My dad, who enjoys the best of gourmet cuisine, loved it!

For dessert, I had their apple crepe which is something I don't normally order if "toffee cake" or "creme brulée" is on the men, but the fact that the apples were sauteed with honey and cinnamon, and then served with vanilla ice cream... it just sounded so good to me! That's exactly what I ordered, and it didn't disappoint!

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Steveston

Comments

Steveston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Steveston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Steveston sightseeing.