Surrey Warnings and Dangers

by briantravelman

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Surrey

Crazy Drivers

by briantravelman Updated Aug 5, 2014

Be very careful in the streets of Surrey. Drivers here are crazier than in the U.S., traffic laws are different, and most of them aren't exactly enforced.
    Cars have the right of way here. I almost got run over a few times, because the crossing light had come on, but cars kept going, so be very careful crossing the street. You have to have eyes in all sides of your head.
    Cars’ front wheels usually enter the intersection, at stop lights. I've even seen a car stopped in the middle of an intersection, completely blocking it. An automatic ticket, here in the U.S.
    But wait, this one is the worst! If a driver doesn't want to wait at a red light, they or a passenger will get out of their car, press the button for the pedestrian crossing, so the light will change, and get back into their car. I've never seen anything like this before.
    I've seen people honk at, and go around cars, who were blocking the road, because they were trying to turn.
    It's Completely insane, so be really careful.

Carjackings

by briantravelman Updated Jul 6, 2014

Yes, carjacking is a serious problem in Surrey, as in most of Canada. In fact, the city is the "Car Theft Capital of North America". My cousin and uncle have lived in Surrey for most of their lives, and they have both had their cars stolen. It's so common, that the cops don't even do anything, since the car is usually found abandoned somewhere, a day or 2 later.
    We have been to many places, and have never had our car broken in to. Here, we did. We had our car broken into, in front of my uncle's apartment. We were gonna go to the store, and the whole steering wheel was hanging off. Apparently, the carjackers had a small problem getting it started. We went to the cops, and they just said, "Welcome To Canada". Don't even bother going to the police.
    It is advised to get one of those steering guards, but that won't stop thieves from breaking your window, and robbing it, so hide your radio, and don't leave any valuables in there.

Don't Go Out At Night

by briantravelman Updated Jan 30, 2014

Surrey isn't exactly the safest area of Vancouver. It can be scary walking through some areas even during the day, let alone at night. There are a lot of shady characters in Surrey. We've never had anyone bother us during the day, but my cousin has a really bad habit of walking around at night. He has been beaten, robbed, and pepper sprayed on several occasions.
    He got robbed once for being on someone's "turf'. I thought that only happeneds in the movies. What kind of BS is that, that you can't walk or hang out wherever you want?
    Him and his friends were once beaten and robbed, because of mistaken identity. These things shouldn't happened.
    Whoever says crime isn't a problem in Surrey is wrong. It's one of the most dangerous areas in Vancouver. These things are so common, that unless it's a very serious offense, the police don't even do anything. The city is pretty much run by the local thugs, and you have to follow their rules, or you will get hurt. That's why when I visit, I never go outside at night.
    During the day, just take the same precautions you would anywhere, but when it gets dark, stay indoors.
    If you really need to go somewhere at night, just get in your car and go from Point A to Point B, and don't wonder around.

Don't Park On The Street

by briantravelman Written Jan 29, 2014

If you park on the street in Surrey, you might be cleaning your car later.
    A friend of ours parked his car on the street to visit my uncle, and some hooligans threw tomatoes at it.
    I was walking down the street once, and saw another car covered in garbage.
    Many people park on the street, and don't have any problems, but there is always that one car that gets vandalized, and it might be yours.
    I would suggest parking at the parking lot of a supermarket or shopping center, and than walk the city from there. The major city parks like Green Timbers, have their own parking as well. Cars don't usually get vandalized in those places, because of all the people. But if you park on the street, there is nothing to keep hooligans from messing with it.

• Previous Posters are Ridiculous

by kkg912 Written Dec 9, 2011

I have lived in Surrey for all of my life. My parents and I own brand new cars and have never had any problem with car jackings. Yes, it happens but Surrey is not sin city, for God's sake.
    Also, it is not necessary to 'always carry a weapon.' I have never carried a weapon in my life and have never had anything happened to me in the day time or at night. Yes, of course there is crime, Surrey is a growing and big city but is definitely not the worst city you could come across and compared to other cities I have visited and stayed in, Surrey is very peaceful.

• School Holidays

• 6Surrey0thug4's Profile Photo

all the bad stuff you should know ;)

by 6Surrey0thug4 Written Apr 11, 2009

i will write all the dangers you should know 1-10

1) alot of Car jackings lock your car dont keep any Valuables inside cuz windows will be broken

2) Gang Violents Shootings, stabbings, and Murders

3)Robbings now alike Car jacking robbing is Quite as common i Recomend carrying a weapon on you while walking the streets Expesially Whalley area and scottsdale also newton

4) weapon of choice in surrey is Bearmace, police batons, and machetees not rare but yes Guns not alot

5)alot of Random beatings

6) Hookers Crackheads pimps Drug dealers grow ups Ghetto birds-- look it up if u dont know what that is

Thats all hope this helps oh and if someone does come up n he looks about even 12 year olds n he asks for ur stuff i reccomend u give it to him this is surrey people use ur head ;) a 12 year old wouldent think twice of pullin a weapon n beating someone senseless or even murder

Instant Answers: Surrey

Comments

Surrey Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Surrey warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Surrey sightseeing.