Tofino Restaurants

more plate than pasta
    by yooperprof

Most Recent Restaurants in Tofino

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Greenroom Diner: Great view - if the weather allows you to see it!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Nov 9, 2012

After our spectacular meal the previous night at SoBo, we debated returning, but instead decided that we should try something different.

The Greenroom Diner is pleasant spot, whose most outstanding feature is its location, right on the Marine West Dock, overlooking Clayoqout Sound. I can only imagine that it would be a superb view in clear weather, but the night that we visited, it was bucketing rain, and we could barely see as far as the boats moored in dock.

The food is standard diner fare: pleasant but unspectacular. I had a pulled pork roll (my great culinary discovery on this trip to North America) which is slow cooked barbecue pork shoulder that has been cooked so long that it can literally be 'pulled apart' with forks - delicious! There is a reasonable range of local beer on tap, as well as B.C. ciders.

We visited on a rainy Monday night out of season, so the place was pretty empty. However, I imagine that over weekends and busier periods, it could be a very lively place and would probably appeal to a younger crowd.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

SoBo: Simply the best ceviche I've ever eaten!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Nov 9, 2012

(work in progress)
    The reviews that we read of SoBo before we arrived suggested that it served the best food in Tofino - and based on our experience, I'd say that they're absolutely right!

SoBo is a stylish but unpretentious restaurant two blocks up from the dock (just behind the Common Loaf) and serves what I supose is best described as 'modern Canadian' fare. The menu is inspired by superb local produce and features a lot of seafood and local meat (moose, bison) - often with an Asian twist.

Everything we had was scrumptious, but the ceviche - served as a starter - took things to whole new level. I adore ceviche (a South American dish of uncooked fish marinated in lime juice with fresh coriander), but I've never had ceviche anywhere near this good. It's a difficult balancing act to achieve, as it's easy for the citrus flavour to dominate, but the chef had managed to achieve enviable harmony between the ingredients, whcih allowed the superb quality of the fish (including scallops) to shine through. Utter perfection!

The portions are quite large, and although I have a healthy appetite, I found that two starters (and no dessert) was enough for me - and it's not often that I can say that! I was also please to see local wines and beverages on the menu: I had cider from the Okanagan Valley with my meal, which was a very happy combination.

For those who are self catering but don't feel like cooking, the restaurant also offers preprepared meals (mostly hearty fare such as soups and turkey pot pie) although these did seem a little on the pricey side.

The atmosphere is warm and casual , and the service is good, particularly given the fact that - even on a Sunday evening out of season - every table was full and there were quite a few people waiting. Over busier periods, you'd be wise to book ahead to avoid disappointment.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Sea Shanty: Slightly off-key?

by yooperprof Written Oct 11, 2012
    by the Sea shore

We might have just hit an off-night, but I wasn't that pleased with my meal at the Sea Shanty. The portion size of my pasta with shrimp was underwhelming, and the service that we experienced was unimpressive. It wasn't that the restaurant was understaffed or busy - we could see our server at the front of the house chatting away with friends and other restaurant staff. Which is a shame because the Sea Shanty has a great location, commanding excellent views both of the Tofino marina with comfortable seating both inside and outside. If you come here, maybe you might want to "keep it simple" and order something fairly basic like choweder or fish and chips.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Shelter: Take Shelter Immeidately!

by yooperprof Written Oct 10, 2012

al fresco with Al

This is part of the change that long-timers talk about in Tofino - the presence of a quality, urban-style, sophicated restaurant that emphasizes fresh ingredients and skillful presentation, with high quality service to boot. Tofino isn't just a remote artsy fishing village, and now it has the accomodations and restaurants that you might expect to see in a quality vacation destination. My friend Al and I were very impressed with our locally caught fish, with the excellent service - and with the reasonably priced wine we selected to accompany our meal. Hey - this is Canada - and if you want wine with your meal, you are going to have to pay more for it here than you would across the border. That's just the way it is. But don't stay away from Shelter from any unfounded fear that you might be gouged here. Make it a celebration - enjoy your time in Tofino - and take my advice, order the salmon!

Cafe Vincente: Lovely cafe with excellent breakfast

by yooperprof Written Oct 9, 2012

Dining in a garden at Cafe Vincente

Excellent spot for hearty breakfast. If you are in Tofino, you are probably an active traveller, someone who is hale and hearty and into all sorts of strenuous exercise. You know that aerobic activity requires excellent nutrition - and of course breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Well, you are exactly the kind of person who will like Cafe Vincente, then.

Incidentally, the Cafe is named after Tofino's namesake, Captain Vincente Tofiño de San Miguel, commander of the Spanish fleet which sailed past the small harbor which later was graced with his name. He didn't actually stop here - and he probably is still regretting it all these years later!

• Randi_Flowers's Profile Photo

Tacofino: Food from a Truck!

by Randi_Flowers Written Sep 9, 2011

About a year ago, Tacofino was on the Food Networks "Eat St." My two best friends and I decided to take a day trip to Tofino to have some girl time. Brittney wanted to try Tacofino for lunch. It was amazing! I was a little uneasy about eating food out of a random food truck, but hey, what the hell, right :) Brittney ordered a Kimchi Pork Taco, and I ordered a Chocolate Banana Liquido (fruit smoothy) and Mango Coconut Liquido. We all shared and everything was deliciously amazing!

The Kimchi Pork Taco ran at $5 and the Liquidos ran at $4.50. The Liquidos were a good amount for the price. I would recommend Tacofino to anyone who visits Tofino on our beautiful West Coast of Vancouver Island!

Favorite Dish: I've only had the Kimchi Pork Taco. It was spicy, greasy, and full of flavour! Yum!

• opiumpoppy's Profile Photo

Tough City Sushi: Best Sushi Ever

by opiumpoppy Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a unique restaurant in Tofino - the only place around that has sushi - and of course since Tofino is a fishing village, the seafood is deliciously fresh and damned good.
    This place does not have a Japanese feel to it; it's decorated with lots of vintage model cars and has a view of the inlet. The owner, a guy known as Crazy Ron, may be hanging around and add some flavour - he is quite entertaining. There's a large mechanical Buddha lifting a bottle to it's lips, near the entrance by the bar.

Favorite Dish: The ultimate in the joint is the Smilng Buddha Roll - do not miss this. It's expensive at $15 a roll, but it's worth it, believe me. It's one of the best things I've ever eaten - the ultimate sushi roll with fruit on top - mmmm!

Also excellent is the West Coast Roll. Yum!

• opiumpoppy's Profile Photo

SoBo: Eat Gourmet From a Purple Truck!

by opiumpoppy Updated Apr 4, 2011

No longer in the parking lot, the purple truck has moved to the Botanical Gardens! The chef, Lisa, was once head chef at Long Beach Lodge Resort, but branched off on her own to create delicious eats that are affordable, delicious, and eclectic.
    The food is reasonably priced, but you'll usually have to order more than one thing if you're hungry.

Favorite Dish: The standout for me is the Miso Udon Noodle Soup (I got very addicted to this and tried recreating it on my own, but it's nowhere near as good), and the fish tacos - they are to die for - fruit salsa on salmon and halibut in a hard taco - there's a bit of jalapeno in it though but if I can handle it, anyone can.

• Trilogy Cafe: Best muffins ever!

by Telse Written Jul 26, 2008

Everything here is made by the chef in the place, with fresh, local ingredients used. The menu changes daily. This place also sells local coffee. One of my favourite times was sitting on the veranda, looking into the Tofino Botanical Gardens, enjoying a fresh muffin and coffee. Some of their desserts were cheaper (like the muffins), others more expensive, but no more than any other restaurant. Plus, the chef has cooked for Oprah and Wayne Gretzsky.

Favorite Dish: I only had the muffins, but they were only $2 and the best I've ever tasted!

• inn at tough city: inn at tough city sushi crazily expensive

by strawberrry Updated Jul 10, 2008

We had a wonderful time in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park with the only downside being the dinner for four at the Inn at Tough City. We had been in Vancouver several days earlier and had THE BEST SUSHI in the city--at Tojos, on West Broadway, so, admittedly, we had hit the gold standard already. But, my goodness, we weren't expecting to pay even more money for really average sushi at the Inn at Tough City. The prices were extortionate, the quality ordinary and the drinks, again, ridiculously priced. We had the feeling the restaurant was using the "high price baffles judgement" trick whereby people think it must be good because the price is so over the top. Well, it does not work here. Not at all; $15-$18 for fancily-named rolls that contained inexpensive ingredients with loads of rice; stringy tuna and hardly melt-in-your-mouth salmon, which is what you would expect for a restaurant with access to the best salmon in the world.

Definite thumbs down on this place. Add a very irritating, show-offy owner thinking himself wild and witty, but who is actually really embarrassing, and you have an disappointing meal. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Sobo: Best food in Tofino

by Carmanah Updated Feb 27, 2008

Sobo has got to be the best "casual" restaurant in Tofino. Think casual foods made with a gourmet touch using only the best quality ingredients they can find.

According to my sister - a long time Sobo fan - Sobo used to be a kitchen located in a trailor located in the parking lot off the highway. There was no seating but it didn't matter - people came for the food, and it had quite a following.

I guess the demand for their food got so large that they now have a permanent location in a new modern building in the heart of Tofino. You order the food at the counter and they bring it to your table.

I really like Sobo because they only buy fresh, local, organic ingredients. All their fish is wild and sourced from local waters. Most of their ingredients are actually grown on Vancouver Island.

Note that their food has been recognized locally and globally, with full page spreads in newspapers and foodie magazines, including Gourmet!

Favorite Dish: The fish taco ($6 each) is outstanding and rather famous according to my sister's surfer friends. Made with wild local salmon, cooked and made spicy, it's served in a blue corn taco shell with a generous portion of fresh fruit (such as blueberries, kiwi and strawberries). They put more fish and fruit than the taco shell can hold, so they serve it into a basket with paper and you're expected to eat all that's fallen out of the shell with a fork. I swear there's enough filling to fill 2 taco shells - and it's a large taco shell. As a meal? You could eat 2 of them but one is good if you're also eating...

... a half order of polenta fries ($4.50)! Polenta is a dense Italian cornmeal cake. But who'd have thought that 4 fries made of polenta would be so filling? These polenta fries are cut into gigantic wedges about 2 inches thick. Made with cheese and jalapenos, they were fried and served with a side of some mayonaise-like dipping sauce. They tasted like top quality cheese and macaroni and cheese. So very tasty and even though they filled me up, they were so addictive!

• Wine Tasting

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Starfish Cafe (Ucluelet): Fabulous food but you pay for it!

by Albernfrau Written Nov 12, 2007

This place looks like a funky cafe (yellow and red painted walls) but the menu is for a more high-end establishment. A burger and fries is $11+ but I must say the food was outstanding. I had the pasta special which was ravioli with basil, garlic and cheese and it was sooo great. My husband had the fish and chips and really enjoyed it because it was more fish than batter. Both meals had these great chips served on the side. After eating them we inquired and found out they were beet chips made by the chef. EVERYTHING is made on site so it is all fresh, fresh, fresh. The cookies were great for dessert.

Of note, they were the one place that was always open when other restaurants and cafes weren't.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Caffe Vincente: Decent Cafe

by Albernfrau Written Nov 12, 2007

Great cafe/breakfast/lunch spot. They had the best fruit smoothies in so many flavours. It seemed to be a very popular place and their advertising claims they are voted Tofino's Best coffee & espresso.

They had lots of baked goods, fresh breakfast all day and lunch specials.

Long Beach Lodge Resort: The epitome of west coast dining

by Carmanah Updated Jul 15, 2007

Prawns (taken from Long Beach Lodge website)

This is a beautiful Pacific west coast styled restaurant located in the Long Beach Lodge Resort. It is open to the public, not just resort guests. Although seafood is the feature on the menu, this is not a "seafood restaurant" but a restaurant focusing on fresh local specialties. It just happens that seafood is the local speciality of the west coast of Vancouver, such as dungeness crab, fresh oysters, wild Pacific salmon, prawns, shellfish, and halibut. I wouldn't necessarily expect to see lobster on the menu, as lobster comes from the other side of the continent in the Atlantic ocean.

My friend decided to use her staff discount so that we could enjoy a lovely meal together. It was definitely a memorable splurge on a cold December evening as we sat to a candle lit dinner as we watched the stormy ocean outside the window as a fireplace roared beside us.

As written on their official website,

"The Resort’s dining room is a relaxed, informal space where the emphasis is placed on fresh food, efficient service and meticulous attention to detail. The room celebrates the unique environment of Vancouver Island’s West Coast, in its colours and furnishings and its stunning view over Cox Bay to the Pacific Ocean. The menu features gourmet West Coast cuisine, handcrafted using local seafood and farm fresh Vancouver Island meats, cheeses and organic produce.

Our chef captures the intricate flavours of sea, sun, field and forest and brings them inside, and, with a twist of dramatic presentation, serves a range of tastes that appeal to many palates."

Favorite Dish: I started off with a smoked salmon and crab roll. Then had the local lingcod with clams and a glass of Okanagan wine - the Mission Hill Sauvignon blanc. The lingcod was served in a deep dish plate in a chorizo broth and vegetables. The clams melted in my mouth like butter. Everything was so tender! Even their complimentary onion/cheese, rye, and French breads were delicious - all made and baked on site. Then finished off the meal with their mocha crème brulée, served in a latté bowl and a sugar cookie moulded into the shape of a spoon. They also served dark chocolate/roast hazelnut biscotti. I would have had an americano or a cappuccino with my dessert, but their espresso machine was temporarily broken, so I opted for a coffee instead. All in all, everything was superb!

• Spa and Resort
    • Luxury Travel

The Common Loaf Bake Shop: A Tofino Institution

by Carmanah Updated Jul 15, 2007

Located in a 2 story house in the south-west corner of the village of Tofino, the Common Loaf bakery is a bit of an institution. Located on two floors, it tends to be somewhat of a local hangout and gathering place. It is more than just a bakery, but also a cafe and a coffee shop. They serve baked goods like bread, muffins and cookies to light meals like sandwiches, soup, and pizza. This is also the place you come if you want to check out information on the local bulletin boards, or pick up some local business cards, pamphlets and newsletters.

Instant Answers: Tofino

Comments

Tofino Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tofino restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tofino sightseeing.