Ucluelet Local Customs

• Local Customs
    by CatherineReichardt

Most Recent Local Customs in Ucluelet

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

So wet that even the local dogs wear rain coats!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Nov 6, 2012

(work in progress)
    You realise how wet a place is when even the local dogs have been issued with their own waterproofs!

This photo was taken at the start of the Lighthouse Loop of the Wild Pacific Trail in Ucluelet, and by the end of the hike, I realised exactly why the dog's rain coat was much more than a fashion statement!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Ucluelet: the town I couldn't get my tongue around

by CatherineReichardt Written Nov 5, 2012

(work in progress)
    Usually I'm not bad at getting the hang of place names, but on Vancouver Island, I finally met my Waterloo - or, more accurately, my Ucluelet.

I think my problem started from the fact that the name has a vaguely French appearance, which made me want to pronounce it as a Gallic "Oo-cloo-lay". In fact, it has an intensely English pronounciation -'"You-clue-let", which is derived from the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nation language and means, 'safe harbour'

To my husband's immense amusement, after four days on the island, it still took intense concentration for me to pronounce the name correctly ...

Instant Answers: Ucluelet

Comments

Ucluelet Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Ucluelet local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ucluelet sightseeing.