Harbour Centre, Vancouver

Know about this? Rate It!

Harbour of Vancouver
  • Carmanah's Profile Photo

Harbour Centre

by Carmanah Updated Jun 21, 2003

Vancouver's Harbour Centre

Fondest memory: I used to work for an internet company located in the Harbour Centre building downtown. This is the building in the picture. The company was preparing to set up wireless internet on April 4, 2001, and because of that, they needed to install an antenna on top of the building. My manager asked me if I wanted to go up to the roof with him - so of course I said yes! (BTW - this is one of the most restricted areas in one of Vancouver's most famous buildings!)

We took the elevator downstairs to the main lobby where we met the manager of the building. He took us up the glass elevator (the one that tourists pay to use to go up to 'the Lookout'). We went all the way up to the revolving restaurant (the top round part of the building), where we had to go up a special flight of stairs, up 2 flights of steep 'ladder stairs' and then finally we arrived outside in a walled-off area. Then the building manager pointed us to this tiny metal ladder. I was a bit nervous at first, but it was only one floor high so it wasn't so bad.

Once I climbed up the ladder, I realised we were at the *VERY* top of the building! The part where the flag pole sits, the part where there's no railings or walls to stop you from falling off. This is where the lightning rod and antennas are situated - the *VERY* top - but man! What a view!

This was definitely Vancouver's most impressive view - the mountains, the ocean, the Cascade mountains, Washington state, Vancouver Island, and the city skyscrapers around us. I only wish I had a camera! Thanks Dad for taking this picture however!

Instant Answers: Vancouver