Behaviour & manners, Vancouver

Know about this?

• VW Decorated  ' Beyond Boundaries
    VW Decorated ' Beyond Boundaries"
    by Mikebb
  • Behaviour & manners
    by don_thomas
  • Behaviour & manners
    by vanstudent
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

A Local with a Message 'Beyond Boundaries"

by Mikebb Updated Jan 29, 2008

VW Decorated  ' Beyond Boundaries

We had seen this vehicle being driven along Robson Street a few days earlier and now had the chance to catch it on camera. We saw him again a few days later, this time the car was parked and he got upset if you took a photo, I think he wanted money.

I do not know if vehicles like this are a local custom, but it the only one I have seen and it was in Vancouver.

• Don't Eat Fast Food

by morgueanne Written Jul 27, 2006

Don't eat fast food (ie mcdonalds, bruger king, those disgusting street hot dog vendors) when you are 10 ft away from some of the best restaurants in the city. It really bothers me when I see tourists doing this.

• OrganicNoise's Profile Photo

What Do You Do?

by OrganicNoise Written May 10, 2006

I have heard the question "What Do You Do?" asked many times in Van... out East we take this to be a question about your means of employment, but I have discovered that many denizens of Vancouver are asking a question with subtly different implications. The question is more aptly expressed as "how are you living your life?" Speak of your dreams, your passions, and your hobbies - or your career, if that is the main thing in your life. I think it is useful to know that culturally, Vancouverites are much more "life-oriented" and less "career-focused" than most Torontonians. That's my interpretation anyway!

• kettravels's Profile Photo

You know you're from Vancouver when.....

by kettravels Written May 5, 2005

1. Your coworker has 8 body piercings and none are visible.

2. You make over $250,000 and still can't afford a house.

3. You take a bus and are shocked at 2 people carrying on a conversation in English.

4. You know what these acronyms mean: PNE, VPL, GVRD, YVR.

5. You're shocked when it snows in the winter.

6. You've had California roll for lunch.

7. Know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

8. Know how to pronounce Coquihalla.

9. A really great parking space can move you to tears.

10. Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, the woman who delivers your mail is into BDSM, and your next door neighbour grows weed.

11. The guy at 8:30 am at Starbucks wearing the baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney IS George Clooney.

12. Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.

13. The gym is packed at 3 PM ....on a work day.

14. Can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.

15. You watch the weather from a Seattle TV station because it's more accurate (see 18).

16. You pass an elementary school and the children are all busy with their cell phones or pagers while waiting for their personal rides home.

17. You're sure you're the only one on the road with a REAL driver's license.

18. You don't even listen when the forecast announces "chance of showers";

19. The more expensive the car, the worse the driver.

20. Can taste the difference between Starbucks, Second Cup, and Tim Horton's.

21. Feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.

22. You're not suprised to see geese throughout the whole year.

23. You cant remember.... is pot still illegal?

24. If there's a day of snowfall, however, you consider not going to school/work.

25. You realize there are far more Rainbow flags in the city than Canadian flags.

26. Can name 10 starbucks locations in less than a minute.

• Meadows11's Profile Photo

So, So Friendly

by Meadows11 Written Mar 4, 2005

On all of my travels, I don't think I've encountered a group of people as accomodating and generally friendly as those I met in Vancouver. I admit that it did get a bit tiresome hearing how lovely my accent was for the umpteenth time, but everyone just seemed so happy to help, and it gave me a fantastic impression of the city!

• Business Travel

• FlirtyFlorida's Profile Photo

I'm American- Don't Hurt Me

by FlirtyFlorida Updated Aug 25, 2004

The people of Vancouver are some of the nicest people I have ever came across in my life. They obviously could tell by my accent that I was American, and they welcomed me with open arms! They were mostly curious about where I was from (Florida) and offered any tips and advice I needed. Everyone from the hotel employees, to the vendors on the streets, were super nice and friendly, and just very low-key and mellow :)

• joopbie's Profile Photo

Canadians get very friendly...

by joopbie Written Aug 25, 2002

Canadians get very friendly and helpful. You can see people smiling and saying hi everywhere. They also give you geniune recommendation when you are shopping or eating. So don't e afraid to ask what's their recommended dishes or for directions.

However, it might be a test to your patience when you are in a queue and in a hurry. :P

• I found Canadians to be very...

by vanstudent Written Aug 25, 2002

I found Canadians to be very understanding of my poor English. When I first came here I pretended to understand when I did not. That was a mistake. If you tell them that you do not understand, they are very nice and help you to understand.

• Don't take it the wrong way if...

by KatRN Written Aug 25, 2002

Don't take it the wrong way if we ask you something about your life, we are friendly people, and this is how we interact! I know in Europe it seems to cross boundaries to make conversation with a stranger, but here in Canada it is everyday life.

• don_thomas's Profile Photo

Van-ROCK-city!

by don_thomas Written Jun 19, 2004

okay, sticking out your tongue must be a local habit or something...
    But these guys rock! They showed us the good spots in town and drove us to Whistler.

Instant Answers: Vancouver