Multiculturalism, Vancouver

• rmdw's Profile Photo

[East] Indian Wedding

by rmdw Written Jul 7, 2003

Indian Wedding, Vancouver

Vancouver is a very multicultural diverse city. Orientals are the most visible minority but [East] Indians would be second in number to them.

In the late nineties I was fortunate enough to be invited to an actual Indian wedding. It was by far the most interesting wedding I have ever been to. And the food was so, so good!!!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

A great place to learn Mandarin!

by Jefie Written Jan 26, 2008

Example of a bilingual sign in Vancouver

One thing that might be surprising if you're not familiar with the demographics of Vancouver is the quantity of Chinese-language advertisement you'll find all over the city. In most Canadian cities, English and French are the most common languages. However, considering that the five most common surnames in Vancouver are Wong, Lee, Chan, Chen and Li, it makes sense that the importance of the Chinese community should be felt throughout the entire city. I thought it was very interesting to see all the English signs along with their translation - although I'll probably never be able to pick up this rather difficult language, I, like many others, can't help but admire its intricate written characters. I guess that's yet another unique characteristic that sets Vancouver apart from all other Canadian cities!

• vero_27's Profile Photo

Native culture

by vero_27 Written Jun 27, 2003

Totem

When you go to Vancouver you´ll find a lot of arquitectural (and no arquitectural) places to remind you that there is another culture, the first canadian culture, the natives. In this picture you´ll see me standing next to a totem, which is a structure the natives used to identify themseves inside their comunities. I think this culture is very interesting, what do you think?

• unigirl's Profile Photo

Vancover is a wonderfully...

by unigirl Written Aug 25, 2002

Vancover is a wonderfully multicultural city with people of all backgrounds living together. I am proud to say that I have friends from all types of cultures, and it has been wonderful growing up learning from them. The picture (although I think a non-flattering one) is one of me when I attended my friend Kam's 4-day Indian wedding celebration. It was obvious that I didn't know how to dance, dress, or eat like her family, but I didn't care and neither did they! It was great!! When in Vancouver, just be aware of how diverse we are--we accept other's cultures, love our own, all while at the same time embracing the fact that we are all also Canadians. It's a great little oxymoron that I have found many people from other countries just don't understand....

• Aragina's Profile Photo

Vancouver is the most diverse...

by Aragina Updated Aug 25, 2002

Vancouver is the most diverse cultural city I have ever been in. It works too. Vancouver for years has been the melting pot for everyone to move to, lately form the asian countries, but his has added to the flaovour of Vancouver. You have Chinese food shops in abundance. Tipping is expected here about 10% of the bill.

• Neil_Mc's Profile Photo

World in a City

by Neil_Mc Written Aug 24, 2002

Vancouver is truly a multicultural mosiac. We have welcomed people from all over the world to build our way of life. This is evident in the rich variety of cuisine and cultural events that make up our fair city. Greeting people with a smile and letting them know where your from opens lots of doors. A warm, friendly disposition goes a long way with Canadians.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

A city of various cultures and ethnicities

by Carmanah Updated Jun 30, 2008

Vancouver is often considered one of the most integrated cities in the world with more interracial couples and less racial segregation than any other city in Canada.

Since its beginnings as a city in 1886, is has always been a multicultural place, with a sizable Chinese, Japanese, First Nations (aboriginal) and Sikh (Indian) community which has set it apart from most other Canadian cities. The most dominant ethnic community today in Vancouver comes from China and Taiwan, many of whom are Hong Kong ex-pats.

In terms of religion, in the 2001 census, 42.2 % of Vancouverites identified themselves as having no religious affiliations, followed by 19% Catholic, 17.4% Protestant, 6.9% Buddhist, 4.4% Chritian (other than Catholic/Protestant), 2.8% Sikh, 1.8% Jewish, 1.7% Muslim, 1.7% Christian Orthodox, 1.4% Hindu, and the rest (0.8%) other religions. As a result, eligion or religious debate rarely dominates discourse in Vancouver social circles. Religion is often considered a private matter.

Instant Answers: Vancouver