Anton's Pasta Bar, Vancouver

3.5 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

4260 E Hastings Street, Burnaby (604) 299-6636

• Me and my friend DJ with our 'doggie bags'
    Me and my friend DJ with our 'doggie...
    by Sunandlotsafun
    I'm Salivating As I Write This Review!
    by shinegirl
    Plenty of Penne!
    by ct-bound
  • susiederkins's Profile Photo

Anton's Pasta Bar: Give it a miss

by susiederkins Updated Jan 25, 2007

I can't believe this place gets such good reviews. Yes, the portions are huge, and if you're looking to stuff yourself to the gills for a reasonable price, then by all means go here.

I thought the food was passable at best - the pasta not really any better than Boston Pizza, which isn't saying much. I'm a great lover of food and I don't have one single good memory about eating here.

Favorite Dish: Absolutely none. The few times my friends dragged me there I didn't enjoy anything I had (and I'm generally a pretty easy audience). There are loads of proper Italian places around in head over to the Italian Cultural Centre (near Nanaimo or 29th Ave Skytrain stations, I don't remember which) for La Piazza Dario.

• Anton's Pasta Bar: don't know why there's a line every night!

by quanvon Written Jul 13, 2006

Agree w/ susiederkins, have NO IDEA why this place is soo popular. I live in the neighbourhood and every day on my way home from work, i'm amazed that there's line up! I have to admit that i haven't been there in over a decade (since high school), but i highly doubt it's changed much (in terms of dishes served and recipes).

In high school I remember going there about 3 times or so and have never been impressed with the food. It's HUGE portions, but that doesn't make up for the not so great food. I know a lot of people who feel the same way as me!

But because we constantly see lines, hubby and i keep saying we'll have to pop in to give it one last try! Both a bit hesistant from experiences in the past and the fact that there's a min charge per person.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• Sunandlotsafun's Profile Photo

Anton's: PASTA PASTA and more PASTA

by Sunandlotsafun Updated Oct 9, 2005

How do I describe Anton's? Well, it is an experience...First you must stand in line outside for about 45 mins (but it's fun and you meet some great people!)...then you get inside and sit down. You are showered with bread until you think you are going to burst and then your meal arrives...GUARANTEED to be THE BIGGEST plate of pasta you have EVER seen! No-one leaves without a 'doggie-bag'!

Favorite Dish: Linguine with Clams in Garlic and Oil ... mmmmmm....delicioso!

Me and my friend DJ with our 'doggie bags'

• Anton's Pasta Bar: A Delicious Bang For Your Buck!

by shinegirl Updated May 17, 2004

The food is the star of this show. Anton's is home to my favorite Italian dish in Vancouver.
    As soon as you sit down, a basket of fresh bread and butter arrives at your table. The menu is extensive and all pasta dishes are the same price.
    The prices are more than reasonable and the portions are fabulous. I have never been able to finish my pasta, even at lunch. It makes for a delicious meal, and I have enough for another meal the next day.
    The staff is very friendly and accomodating. It is fun to sit and watch the proceedings in the kitchen.
    I love bringing out-of towner's here. It is a great restaurant for an entire family, for a romantic date or a lunch with a friend. Very cozy and lively.

Favorite Dish: My FAVE dish is the Penne All' Emiliano. I have tried to reproduce it at home, and it just isn't the same. I've tried similar dishes at other Italian restaurants and they have tasted generic compared to Anton's.

The dish consists of Italian sausage, basil, feta, pancetta, tomato and black olives. Penne isn't usually my favorite noodle, but it is incredible here.

My husband loves the Fettucine Alfredo. I have never heard anyone fail to rave about their tasty dish at this restaurant.

I'm Salivating As I Write This Review!

• ct-bound's Profile Photo

Anton's Pasta Bar: A TON of pasta!

by ct-bound Updated Mar 31, 2004

Antons is an experience not to be missed!

The atmosphere is good, always bustling but you never feel rushed. They make all their own fresh pasta, and match it with whatever sauce you want. Generally, everything is about $12, divide that between your 3+ meals (leftovers!) and it's a good deal!

The crazy thing that brings people to Anton's from all around (besides the DELICIOUS food), is the SIZE of the portions. The plates are literally mounded with pasta. Only a very select few (think lineman-type football players) are able to actually finish the whole plate.

I go there regularly, and (with a hearty appetite, I might add) still come home with enough leftovers for 3 lunches the next week!

Favorite Dish: My personal (backside-spreading) favourite is the Linguine alla Carbonara with Mushrooms added. Absolutely phenomenal.

Make sure you start out with a little olive oil & vinegar for your bread (but don't eat more than one piece, you'll need the room for your pasta!).

Located in the 'Little Italy' area of Hastings street in Burnaby. Easily accessible by transit from downtown. Catch the 135 bus on Hastings around Granville (not much further east or it's a nasty part of town), and get off about 15-20 minutes later when the street addresses get past 4500 block (they count down in that direction).

Plenty of Penne!

• quidscribis's Profile Photo

Anton's Pasta Bar: Anton's Pasta Bar

by quidscribis Written Aug 26, 2002

What makes Anton’s so magnificent? It’s the recipes. And it’s the variety. He’s got dozens of pasta dishes - something for everyone no matter the mood or how finicky the diner. And he’s created new recipes using influences from around the world.

There’s just one problem with Anton’s. Their servings are so big, it’s impossible to eat it all. I took my linebacker sized brother with me, and even he couldn’t finish it. We had no choice but to leave with doggy bags.

In fact, in the eight years I’ve been patronizing Anton’s, I’ve never seen ANYONE leave without a doggy bag. There’s enough on the plate for 3 or 4 meals.

You’d think, what with the quality of the food and the size of the servings, that it would empty your wallet. You’d think wrong.

It costs around the same as going to an inexpensive cookie cutter restaurant with cookie cutter food. Their most expensive dish is $13.95 Canadian, or about $9.00 US.

How can you beat it? Great food, lots of it, and at a fantastic price.

Favorite Dish: My personal favourite is his Fettuccine Fruitti di Mare -
    mixed seafood & mushrooms in a lemon cream sauce.

Yum.

The first time I tasted it, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Not too heavy on the cream. Not too much lemon. Just a perfect balance. And the seafood - prawns, scallops, and lobster - was absolutely divine.

Other dishes include Penne Alla Greca - artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese in a garlic white wine sauce. Fettuccine Con Prosciutto E Asparagi - prosciutto and asparagus in a sage cream sauce. Penne Chorizo Salsiccia E Funghi - chorizo sausage and mushrooms in a spicy lemon sauce. Fusilli New Orleans – scallops, sausages, prawns, chicken, red and green peppers in a spicy Cajun sauce. Fusilli Al’Indiana – chicken and peas in a curry tomato sauce. Linguine Paesana – pinenuts, chillies, and feta cheese in an olive oil and garlic sauce. Conchiglioni – large pasta shells filled with seafood and served with a tomato, cream, or creamy tomato sauce – a house specialty. Agnolottie Michelangelo – stuffed pasta in a sage cream sauce – a house specialty.

Instant Answers: Vancouver