Boathouse, the, Vancouver

1795 Beach Avenue, Vancouver (604) 669-2225

• aqazi's Profile Photo

The Boathouse: Nice for a seafood lunch

by aqazi Written Jun 17, 2008

The boathouse is an upscale seafood chain in Vancouver. I have only been to the one in
    Horseshoe bay but there are a few about town. Anyway it specialises in seafood but they do other stuff. This is a mum pleaser and tends to attract a more mature crowd. Food is good and the seafood is obviously very french. PRices are on the high side but I think still reasonable. Service is attentive. If you want a safe option then the boathouse will probably please. Don't expect haute cuisine but they do serve fine seafood.

• susiederkins's Profile Photo

Boathouse, the: Overrated and overpriced

by susiederkins Written May 3, 2005

This is a popular destination for tourists and even locals, but I advise against it. If you have your heart set on seafood and a good view of the ocean, then by all means go here.

I felt the food was quite unsatisfying and my wallet felt it too strongly for the returns I was getting. I ordered some garlic prawns for a starter, and was presented with a few medium-sized (at best) prawns, swimming in a soup of garlicky butter. I'm all for buttery prawns but I'm not fond of drinking my fat. My main course was forgettable at best (I don't even remember what I had).

For a much better view and infinitely better seafood, make the trek out to the Salmon House on the Hill (West Vancouver), where you can have alder smoked salmon or a huge range of the best Vancouver seafood with an even better view than the Boathouse can offer.

Or, if you want to stay in the downtown area, many restaurants not billed specifically as seafood restaurants still offer seafood on the menu, and is very likely to be better than what the Boathouse has to offer. Even the Prow (which is quite expensive) felt like much better value for money, and has lovely seafood.

Favorite Dish: None, clearly. Vancouver has much better seafood to offer, in much better preparations and recipes.

Instant Answers: Vancouver