Cafe Calabria, Vancouver

3 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

1745 Commercial Drive, Vancouver (604) 253-7017

• Cafe Calabria: Worst staff attitudes

by JohnPayzant Written Aug 9, 2008

I used to like to go in finding the father and the eldest son was nice but one day I'd finished my coffee and used the washroom and when I came out the younger son with the curly black hair was sitting on the pool table angrily glaring at me smoking a cigarette, the year was 1994.
    I looked back at the bathroom had left the light on so I unlocked the door and turned it off.
    I said,"Sorry about that".
    He yelled,"That would help, saves a lot of money on electricity".I saw a -Red Flag- and that was the last time I went there.
    There was an older man in an electonic wheel chair,he has an Eglish accent,says he's of Gypsy descent and is a Roman Catholic.He'd have his cup and saucer kept there.
    He'd had a stroke in the Calabria and the staff were terrible and threw out his things.He now goes to the Cafe Napoli.
    June 2007 the Portuguese youth group called "Jovans" was there during Portuguese Heritage Month when I walked by started saying,"We're waiting for everybody to come and then we'll order but the staff are giving us a bad time about it".I started to show a book about the Portuguese in Canada when all three of the sons came out onto the sidewalk with angry stares and I walked away.Then I walked back up and one of them came onto the sidewalk and stared at me again.

Favorite Dish: The sandwiches,biscuits and ice cream and coffee is good as well as the decor but the staff who are the owner's sons are really terrible,angry and arrogant.

I BOYCOTT CALABRIA CAFE

• Luxury Travel

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Cafe Calabria: A coffee shop with personality!

by Carmanah Updated Jan 28, 2008

Cafe Calabria is famous in the Commercial Drive neighbourhood, not only for its authentic Italian style coffee and treats, but also for its interior decorating and customer service.

As soon as you walk into this large Italian coffee shop you can't help but notice the statues of David, Venus and Caesar, or a replica of Michelangelo's famous Sistine Chapel fresco on the ceiling. Then, you have the Italian opera music projecting from the speakers. Above the mirrored walls are photographs of famous Italian superstars.

But I think it's the service that really brings people returning. The owner and his two sons are the only people who serve the customers here - always with enthusiasm and warm, genuine, welcoming smiles. You feel as if you're a part of the family!

Sit on the patio or inside and enjoy your coffee with a biscotti, Italian dessert, or a panini. Take in the atmosphere of Commercial Drive. It's the perfect place to wind down after a stroll around town.

Favorite Dish: Americano a leche with a chocolate drizzled biscotti.

• Cafe Calabria: WORST EXPERIENCE

by COFFEENUT Written Jun 18, 2006

Favorite Dish: Hello all: so I was at the cafe today as usual. I always have gone to Cafe Calabria and had been totally satisfied with the outstanding service! But, today this new face come up to me while I was waiting for the restroom. I had bought a coffee 30 min prior and left and turned around (cuz cofffee is a diaredict..I HAD TO PEE) I went back and he told me eating here is like taking the bus!! You pay...if you come back you have to pay again to use the restroom!! He made a scene in front of tons of other patrons as I waited there silently...THE NEW BARRISTER GUY IS A TOTAL DICK AND HE COMPLETELY RUINED MY EXPERIENCE!!! I am still upset thinking of how I let a stranger talk to me like that and I actually paid to eat and drink there!! I have wasted hundreds of dollars there over the years and wish that I could take it all back and give it to someone WHO ACTUALLY APPRECIATES MY PATRONISM...THAT SUX!!

• Cafe Calabria: MAD ME CRY

by COFFEENUT Written Jun 18, 2006

• Cafe Calabria: Dont forget to beg for a table or the bathroom!

by vancouverite44 Written Jan 21, 2006

Calabria cafe has without doubt the worst customer appreciation I have ever seen.
    First of all be sure you order at least $10, if not you will not be entitled to a table - even if the place is empty.
    Second, they will not open the bathroom for you if you dont order first - doesnt matter you are a woman or you are in a hurry, and doesnt matter if you assured that you will order.
    Third, the owner, o whoever is that animal behind the counter will tell you with all the words that he doesnt care at all and "there is not customer rigths" there.
    And dont think that I looks suspicious, or anyhow a threat. I am and look a normal person. And the bathroom and customers rights story happens to a friend of mine who is a nurse and was dressed as a nurse when it happens!
    Just blatant arrogance that deserve the strongest reaction!

• Biljana's Profile Photo

Calabria Coffee Bar: The best biscotti around......

by Biljana Written Sep 3, 2004

Coffee Bar Calabria is a bit of Italy in Vancouver. Here you can sit among Italian sculptures while you sip your coffee. When you get bored of looking at the statue of David you can stare at the Sistine Chapel ceiling right above your head. The ambiance is topped off by the sounds of Italian opera music. And for those who like trivia they can play the who is that famous Italian game with the headshots of the famous Italians on the walls.

Favorite Dish: I really like the chocolate biscotti with almonds.

Instant Answers: Vancouver