Cannery, the, Vancouver

by spartan
    by Jyrki
  • Cannery, the: Insulting service + mediocre food = stay away

by qwerty123456789 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I ate at the Cannery today, and I was disappointed. The scenery is amazing; everything else was underwhelming.

The food was acceptable, but overpriced. Appetizers ran up to $15, entrees past $40. The bread was passable. The black bean soup with lemon was very good, with a lingering warm aroma at the back of the mouth. I had prawns with risotto and chocolate dessert -- acceptable, but not exceptional for Vancouver. My companions had salad, lamb, salmon, and cheesecake. Ditto.

However, the service ruined what might have been an enjoyable meal. It may have been a function of only two people, but their substandard conduct detracted from the meal. For example, our server never introduced himself. He did not ask anyone before taking away our dishes. He never asked after our meal, did not wish us a simple little 'bon appetit'. Now, if I'm paying $10 for a glass of wine, I expect to taste the wine and approve of it. Nobody showed me a bottle, or offered to let me taste it beforehand. It was just on the table when I came back from the washroom. One of my companions later asked for wine, and the server did not ask if he wanted a red or a white or a pinot or a chardonnay; the server merely brought over whatever he thought we wanted.

I asked after the lobster-infused oil. I asked if there were spices in it, because it was, well, spicy. The girl laughed. That's right, she laughed, out loud, like I was stupid. Probably the whole restaurant heard. Incidentally, the ingredient list on their website includes 'spices.' The customer is always right and welcome. Just not at this restaurant.

It is customary to offer tea or coffee with dessert; it was never offered. But, by then, we merely wished to be elsewhere. Perhaps these complaints seem trivial, but if I spend $200 on a dinner, I expect better service better than that of a local family diner. Unfortunately that lack of service has lost this kitchen four potential patrons.

• Luxury Travel

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Cannery, the: Great location, Great food

by aqazi Updated Apr 4, 2011

Came here for DOV as usually we can't afford to eat out at these places. Anyway we'd heard so much about the food that we went with an expetation that the food and service should be great. In short we weren't dissapointed. Thought the drive there would eb awkward as its a bit out of the way and you have to go through a checkpoint. Turns out to be pretty straight forward. Will definity go back once we've saved some money up. Both the seafood and the meat were good. Deserts were nice but it was the main courses that we'll remember.

• CndnSugarPlum's Profile Photo

Cannery, the: Cool restaurant that looks like a ship

by CndnSugarPlum Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sitting right on the water, it looks like a big, old, wooden ship with portholes, rope, ladders, etc. The staff is friendly, and went out of their way to help me. The food is great (King Crab was my pick, being on the west coast), but the portions are small, and bring your credit card, because you're gonna pay. This was back in 1997, so there might have been some changes since then.

Favorite Dish: King Crab- it's seafood, what more can you say?!

• Business Travel

• dragoness86's Profile Photo

Cannery, the: Beautiful Veiw and Presentation

by dragoness86 Updated Apr 4, 2011

An upscale restaraunt right on Vancouver's water line. Waiters were very helpful and make sure you are well taken care of.

Favorite Dish: To begin, bread with oil and vinegar is brought out, the oil is lobster based and is cooked for 48 hours before being served. The blue marlin with lemon butter was delicious. The portion was just right-not too big or small. The veggies that came with it were superb. I chose Jacque's Favorite's for dessert, which included orange creme brulee, mint ice cream and layered belgian white and dark chocolate mousse, but I was not too impressed with it. Overall the dinner was very good, try the apple martini!

• toontown's Profile Photo

The Cannery: My favourite seafood restaurant

by toontown Updated Apr 4, 2011

UPDATE Feb 2010: Sadly the Cannery will be closing its doors after the Olympics. Their lease was not renewed with the Port Authority. Check out their website for closing specials.

This unlikely location (port warehouse district of the south Burrard Inlet) and unpretentious replica of an old-time cannery may surprise you with its sophisticated menu and excellent service. The sunset view from either level of the Cannery is breathtaking and it's kind of nice to be away from the downtown crowds and watch the seals bobbing in the water outside. The Cannery is equally appropriate for a special occasion meal, a business dinner or for entertaining out-of-town visitors. We've been successful in sitting by a window almost every time we've been, but there really isn't a bad seat in the house. Mark took me for my birthday once We were ushered to our window table where there were birthday balloons waiting. Much to my delight, I picked up the fresh sheet and "Happy Birthday Wendy" was printed on the top. After dinner they brought us an off-menu special dessert sampler with a candle. It was definitely one of the most memorable birthday dinners I've had thanks to the special touches and extra care.

Favorite Dish: I would go back for the lobster oil alone (which they bottle and sell now). Before each meal you get baskets of bread to dip in the most incredible lobster-infused oil and balsamic vinegar. I eat so much of the bread and oil it's amazing there's any room for an entree. The salmon wellington, ahi tuna, and scallops and prawns are all fantastic. The menu is adjusted quite often though, so you won't get bored eating here.

• Business Travel

• Jyrki's Profile Photo

The Cannery: Pricy but worth it

by Jyrki Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Cannery is ocated in east Vancouver in and can be somewhat difficult to access as they have closed the old access roads to it but I think there's is a map at Victoria and Hastings. Try to get a seat near the window as the view of the harbor is spectacular especially at sunset. If you're lucky you'll even see seals frolicking about in the weater as you dine, we did!

Favorite Dish: The lobster-infused olive oil and bread is to die for...and that's just the pre-appetizer...you dont even have to pay for it. We loved the Seafood combo platter. We got a platter for 3 but for 7 of us...the perfect amount for an appetizer. I recommed the swordfish, firm and not too fishy tasting, for those not a fan of strong tasting fish. The sauce they pair the swordfish with is exquisite. For dessert the chef's special desert (creme brulee and other treats) was amazing.

• spartan's Profile Photo

The Cannery Seafood House: A classy and elegant seafood house

by spartan Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Cannery Seafood Restaurant opened for business August 15, 1971 with the line-up extending into the parking lot. The Cannery is located on the south shore of Vancouver's Burrard Inlet, in the midst of the industrial docks area, and affords restaurant guests a breath-taking view of the water, sky and mountains with the antics of seals and sea lions for entertainment. The Cannery Queen Gillnetter located at the entrance to the Cannery extends a nautical welcome to the guests. The interior of the restaurant has evolved ad hoc and was completed and assembled like a master painting. Each dab was influenced by the dab that preceded it. The interior decorations include a ship's boiler, inverted and turned into a circular fireplace beside the downstairs bar. A whale rib sits over a table and Jacob's ladder, crab traps, brailing nets, gill nets, old photographs and memorabilia adorn the walls. Old hatch covers create bar tables and the coil from the fireplace boiler hangs as a chandelier between the Chowder Bar and the main dining room. The wood paneling covering the Cannery walls was rescued from a 100 year old barn on the Fraser River near Ladner (Courtesy of the Cannery Seafood House).

Favorite Dish: Start off with a nice glass of Bailey's Irish Creme, oh so smooth. Then as an appetizer try the Sautéed Mussels & Clams (lemon grass infusion, galangal root, basil, red Thai curry, coconut milk and chorizo). Then for dinner there are different specials of the day, so how about the Grilled Salmon with mashed potatoes, red peppers, carrots and snow peas surrounded by a delicious garlic sauce. If that doesn't wet your appetite, how about Grilled Halibut with mashed potatoes, red peppers, carrots and snow peas surrounded by a delicious garlic sauce. To finish off the evening, try the Creme Brulée....simply heaven on earth!

• lauriejeanne's Profile Photo

Forget Tony Soprano. Forget...

by lauriejeanne Written Sep 7, 2002

Forget Tony Soprano. Forget Don Coreolone. They are fictitious, but this setting is real and as you drive along Commissioner Street looking for The Cannery Seafood House, you will fear that you are about to yourself 'sleep with the fishes.' For this restaurant is not located in an area one would associate with fine dining -- it is right down on the docks. What a setting!

And as you go inside, the decor (taken from old ships and barges) will add to the atmosphere even more. Window tables cannot be reserved, but if you are willing to wait in the lounge, one usually appears quickly enough and the view of the harbour is gorgeous by day or by night.

Favorite Dish: I suggest you ask the waiter about the fresh catch of the day. I have eaten here twice and both dinners were exquisite (grilled salmon and grilled halibut).

For an appetizer, I really suggest the Sauteed Mussels and Clams and do leave room for dessert! The Creme Brulee is out of this world!!

• The Cannery Seafood...

by KatRN Written Aug 25, 2002

The Cannery Seafood Restaurant.
    The restaurant has a view of Coal Harbour, and the lighting is very soft and sultry. Every table is good, but if you can land a window seat (first come first serve!), it is spectacular. You will remember your evening for a long time at this glorious establishment.

Favorite Dish: This is the place to eat fresh oysters. The seafood dishes are perfection.

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Cannery, the
4.5 out of 5 stars