Hon's, Vancouver

by Jim_Eliason
    open for panorama
    by richiecdisc
  • The Open Kitchen, Hon's Chinese Restaurant
    The Open Kitchen, Hon's Chinese...
    by Mikebb
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

Hon's Wun-Tun House: Chinese Meal to Remember

by Mikebb Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Chinese restaurant was recommended and as it was close to our hotel we dined there one evening. It is a large restaurant with 70 or more tables, plenty of Chinese staff and an extensive menu.

We ordered too many dishes, Prawns & Broccoli, sautered pork & mixed vegetables, dry noodles with shredded chicken and bean shoots, and a large bowl of rice. The food was nice, however we should have asked the waiter to help with the selection.

The Open Kitchen, Hon's Chinese Restaurant Hon's Restaurant, Robson Street Restaurant & Kitchen
    • Seniors

• Hon's: Quick, Tasty and not to expensive

by awg123 Updated Apr 4, 2011

You have got to try the potstickers, I like Pork, pan fried, but the other types are good too! You can get them boiled if you don't like fried. Gai Lan with Oyster sauce especially in season is very good. Spicy Cod with brocolli is exellent, also the cod in cream corn sauce is good but not on the menu, so just ask. So there is a tip for you!

Favorite Dish: Oh no I alread said them, but here are some more. The lettuce wrap is fun, just load the big leaves of lettuce up with the filling, add sauce and munch away. Beef and Bean in season is very good, try with diffrent sauces but black bean is the best. You may have to wait to get in but service is pretty quick once you are in.

• Study Abroad

• KatyaB's Profile Photo

Hon's: Great, always dependable Chinese food

by KatyaB Updated Apr 4, 2011

Whenever I feel like having good Chinese food served quickly that will leave me feeling incredibly full AND have leftovers to take home I go to Hon's.
    Hon's tends to be busy but the service is always really good.
    There are plenty of vegetarian options on the menu and the Robson location even has its own seperate vegetarian kitchen.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Hon's: Hon's

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is like a factory! You walk in and it's noisy, crowded, and the staff are running around. But it's fast, cheap and fun! Don't expect extravagant Chinese gourmet, but cheap comfort Chinese food. Portions are huge, so pick wisely! There's so much to choose from (including a huge vegetarian menu with a seperate vegetarian kitchen). You can buy prepackaged food from the freezers and fridges or you can buy hot food to go. I prefer sitting down in their huge restaurant because it's just so lively, it's entertaining! Do not expect a lot of privacy here however, as Hon's layout is essentially one giant room with row upon row of square tables. Expect to spend at least 15 minutes going over the menu, as they tend to present you with 3 different menus, offering hundreds of items to choose from. It's completely overwhelming, but a food-lover's delight!

Favorite Dish: I have two favourite dishes. Both are similar however. First, I've always liked their beef with fried udon noodles and chili sauce. They serve it in a giant dish and can easily feed 4 people. Second, the strips of chicken with red pepper, green beans, and Shanghai noodles in XO chili sauce. (What it is with their chili sauce that I like? I don't know!)

Third, above all else, they make the best (and I mean BEST!) BBQ pork buns ever. The dough is so light and chewy... and the pork and sauce.... oh... yum!!! They serve 3 pork buns for $3.50. Well worth it. I could eat them all day!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Hon's Wun-Tun House: finally, some real Chinese

by richiecdisc Written Nov 22, 2009

After our lackluster Chinese meal in Victoria, we were determined to fare better in Vancouver's noted Chinatown. I did a bit of research and found Hon's Wun-Tun House. This venerable Chinatown institution has been dishing out the noodles since 1972 and was the first to bring authentic Hong Kong style noodles to British Colombia. Set right in the heart of Vancouver's crazy boisterous Chinatown, Hon's is a big, busy, loud place catering largely to a Chinese clientele. If we didn't stand out as it was, our beaming smiles as we walked in the door must have said, we are tourists, we are very happy tourists. Service was fast and frantic.

Favorite Dish: We needed more time than the server wanted to give us to check out their rather long menu. Even though we've eaten in tons of Chinese restaurants and are no stranger to the authentic type, it just didn't look overly familiar. We wanted Beef Chow Fun, the wide noodle dish we were somewhat unhappy with in Victoria, but it was not on the menu under that name. We did manage to order Sauteed Beef with Green Beans in Black Bean Sauce with wide rice noodles (C$ 8.50) and Chicken with Sauteed Onions and Peppers with Shanghai Noodles (C$ 9.50). Both meals were piping hot, tasty, and well-prepared along with being very good size for the price.

open for panorama

• geeyook's Profile Photo

Hon's: Great Chinese Food

by geeyook Updated Apr 4, 2011

Family style Chinese restaurant. Separate kitchens for vegan and traditional Cantonese food. Large portions and inexpensive. Various locations in and near Vancouver.

Hon's on Robson St.