La Bodega, Vancouver

by Dabs
  • Biljana's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Ole!

by Biljana Written Oct 16, 2003

La Bodega is an excellent restaurant in Downtown Vancouver. A visit to this place will make you feel as if you jumped into a quiet tavern in a Spanish village. The food and the interior design are certainly impressive. This is by far my favorite restaurant in the city.

Favorite Dish: Some of my menu faves are the grilled pork loins and patatas bravas. I must also give compliments to the chef for the custard cake.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

La Bodega: One of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver!

by rmdw Updated Sep 20, 2004

La Bodega restaurant

La Bodega is a great place to go with a group or on a romantic date. It has great ambience and a plethora of different delectables to choose from.

Favorite Dish: Start with a large jug of Sangria - red wine mixed with various fruit. Be careful to keep count though of how much Sangria you order though, as you often forget you're drinking wine!

My favourite dishes are:
    - The mushrooms
    - Spanish meatballs
    - Garlic shrimp

Oh my, I'm getting hungry just thinking about this place!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Spanish tapas

by Dabs Updated Mar 19, 2007

La Bodega

For the final VT dinner, we went to La Bodega, a Spanish tapas restaurant. Spanish tapas are a perfect meal for large groups, you can order lots of tapas (appetizer sized portions) to share with the table along with a pitcher of sangria (or two or three).

Even on a Sunday night this place was really busy with several larger groups which made conversation with anyone not seated directly across or next to you a little challenging.

Favorite Dish: I ate so many different things that I really don't remember what I ate!!!! But it was all good :-)

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Fresh Spanish Tapas

by sinjabc Written Jun 30, 2008

I have been to La Bodega many times to share plates of Spanish tapas and pitchers of sangria. Everything has always been wonderful and savoury. I was not a fan of sangria until I came to this restaurant. Love the ceviche, mussels, prawns, potatoes, and paella (excellent!). Do not forget to check the fresh board (blackboard). Reservations recommended.

• La Bodega: dont miss the potatoes

by rivas5834 Written Jun 13, 2007

it is the best spanish and tapa bar in the city.Where you can spend a lot or just a little,with an incredible atmosphere and the best SANGRIA there is.

Favorite Dish: patatas bravas is the sauce that make this potatoes one of the most populas dishes in the menu

• leelees's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Late Night Tapas

by leelees Written Apr 2, 2007

Spanish Tapas. La Bodega is an old-school late night Vancouver hang out. Being so close to both the Davie street and Granville bar districts, it's a popular before-club meeting place...which often ends up being the "in-place-of-club" meeting place. Best sangrita in town, and fabulous sharing plates. Expect drunk office workers and getting-primed clubgoers. Don't order the garlic prawns or spicy potatoes if you're looking to hook up. Walking distance to entertainment district.

Favorite Dish: Sangrita. You'll hate yourself in the morning, but it's worth it.

• lauriejeanne's Profile Photo

Bienvenido a La...

by lauriejeanne Written Sep 7, 2002

Bienvenido a La Bodega!
    Prepare my friends for a delight! The food here is phenomenal and the most important thing to bring to this restaurant is a hearty appetite!

The Menu consists of a wide assortment of Tapas. I have eaten several times at this restaurant and have not yet experienced anything less than exceptional in all that they have to offer!

Order up some Sangria and take your time here -- these Tapas are meant to be savoured. This is not a fast food restaurant!! La Bodega is a place where you go to enjoy the atmosphere and experience the dishes.

Lemme know when you're going -- I'd love to join you!!

Favorite Dish: Wow, I really love everything I had there, but the cold Mejillones picantes (mussles in a piquant sauce) are just to die for. Order lots of Pan y Mantequilla (bread and butter) so you can dip it into the garlic oil sauce that comes with the Champinones salteados (fresh mushrooms sauteed in garlic oil) and the Gambas al ajillo (prawns in sizzling garlic oil).
    And you can wash this down with a half pitcher of Sangria, The Spanish National Cooler!!!

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

La Bodega: A Vancouver tradition for tapas

by Carmanah Updated Nov 29, 2004

I have finally tasted the pleasures one of the most appreciated tapas restaurants in the city of Vancouver.

La Bodega has existed since 1971 and has earned a good reputation for its authentic Spanish cuisine. While I haven't been to Spain, I can only imagine that this is the kind of food I'd eat if I were there!

In late November my family and my boyfriend ate a delicious dinner of assorted tapas upstairs in La Bodega to celebrate my father's recent Masters degree graduation. We were seated upstairs by the window in a large bright room full of other large groups. This didn't take away from La Bodega's charm. Instead, it felt like we were enjoying a party in someone's home.

Downstairs in La Bodega is their main bar. The tables were more closely together, but the area looked intimate and casual.

In general, the building is older, but has tons of character. This is actually rare in Vancouver... the restaurant had an atmosphere that wouldn't feel out of place in Montreal! The white wash walls and dark wood shelving display Spanish art, hand-drawn maps and photos. The servers are likely the owners, themselves, with Spanish accents. They were always very friendly and very accommodating.

While there is an entrée menu of a handful of dishes, customers regularly eat at La Bodega for their famous tapas. Each plate of tapas can easily be shared by 6-8 people. Order a bunch of small plates of tapas and share them around. This will make for an exciting, ever-changing meal!

To conclude, La Bodega would be ideal to go on a casual but romantic date, or to celebrate among family or a group of friends.

Favorite Dish: My favourites of the night were

Ceviche - mixed seafood such as scallops and fish served in a tangy fresh lemon marinade and spices

Bonito en Escabeche - whole cooked tuna steaks in a sherry vinegar marinade

Pimento Relleno - a whole roasted red pepper stuffed with ground pork, rice and spices, served with roast potatos

Alcachofas don Carlos - sautéed hearts of artichokes with dry cured chorizo in a really zesty sauce

Ensaladilla Bodega - a cold Spanish potato salad mixed with tuna and shrimp.

Of course, the pitcher of red wine sangria was delicious as expected

• karinyeung's Profile Photo

La Bodega: La Bodega

by karinyeung Written Aug 25, 2002

Great food! Great atmosphere!

Here shown with my old parliament buddies!

Favorite Dish: Excellent Spanish Tapas! The potatoes are great! Calamari is very good! Mussels are yummy! Garlic prawns are TOO DIE FOR! You MUST order the sangria!

• spartan's Profile Photo

La Bodega Tapas-Bar and Restaurante: Delicious tapas and atmosphere

by spartan Updated Oct 2, 2002

If you want to eat and enjoy a taste of Spain, then this is the place to go. Everything is authentic from the paintings on the wall to the decor to the food to the music and drink.

Favorite Dish: Start off with some Sangria (by the glass, 1/2 pitcher or pitcher) or if you like a rum and coke (use the Havana Rum it's so smooth). Then order the tapas (a.k.a. appetizers). I highly recommend the following: Pan con mantequilla (bread with butter), Champinones Salteados (fresh mushrooms sauteed in garlic oil), Mejillones Picantes (mussels in a piquant sauce), Albondigas (spanish meatballs), Calamares (deep fried squid with garlic dip), Gambas al Ajillo (prawns in sizzling garlic oil) and Montaditos de Cerdo (marinated and grilled pork loin).

• My favourite restaurant is La...

by ariell Updated Aug 24, 2002

My favourite restaurant is La Bodega, a Spanish tapas bar on Howe Street, excellent food, atmosphere
    is enticing, a great conversation place
    The prices is cheap, there several items, all of which are delicious - had almost everything on it!

Favorite Dish: My favourite menu item at La Bodega is the Chorizo, it's spicey/salty, very nummy! Great with their
    famous Sangria!

• La Bodega: Very Pleasant Dining Experience

by worleyite Written Jun 22, 2005

Don't be put off by the neighborhood. La Bodega is a small, cozy tapas bar with a very helpful and accommodating waitstaff. It appeared to be a favorite local dining place. The waiter's suggestions were fantastic. Having never sampled a tapas menu before, we didn't know what to order. It was a leisurely meal as well - we must've stayed there for two hours, eating, drinking and talking.

Favorite Dish: We sampled a broad range of the dishes offered by La Bodega. The cold tapas platter was a perfect appetizer.

• La Bodega: Terrible Service!!!!!

by BobbyTobby Written Feb 3, 2008

We went to La Bodega for a friend's going away/birthday party. The restaurant was quite busy and had a great ambience downstairs. We were sent upstairs to where the large parties are served. Upstairs, the ambience was very picnic at the parkish. Red & White checkered tables cloths on long trough like tables. The food was ok. Didn't live up to all it was raved about. Dishes didn't come at the same time. Some people were eating while others sat there with no food. And the service was TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our waitress was very ***y didn't give a hoot about our table. I think this is because she knew in the end a 15% tip would be added to the bill. She did NOT deserve this tip. I have never had such bad service in my life. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO LA BODEGA AGAIN!!!!!!!!! HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, OUT RIGHT BAD SERVICE. Don't waste your time here!!!!!!

• johnste's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Sangria is not just to hide cheap wine!

by johnste Written Dec 20, 2007

Tapas and sangria!

The sangria comes in pottery jugs with floating slices of crisp apples and orange peel. Gulpablly delightful, even in cold weather!

Favorite Dish: The paella is FILLED with mussels, clams, hunks of chicken and sweet fresh-tasting shrimp. It's not a rice dish with a seafood flavor here!! We went as a group of six with 2 teens, and traded samples of our tapas. Not a single thing we ordered went uneaten. Most of us liked everything, and the atmosphere was fun!

• seoulgirl's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Best Spanish food outside of Spain

by seoulgirl Written Feb 28, 2005

The ambience of this restaurant is very cozy and romantic. The service is excellent and the prices are excellent. THe best Spanish food I have had outside of spain and I lived there for 5 years. It is on the outskirts of downtown Vancouver.

Favorite Dish: Everything was wonderful and very authentic. The one thing that stood out in my mind was the Plato Variado (asssortment of cold appetizers). there was so much variety on the platter and it cost only 6 usd. It's been awhile since I have been there so I don't have specifics. I do know we ordered Arroz Espanol, 3$, Almejas marinera (clams in savory white sauce), 5$, Bonito en Escabeche (tuna in a sherry vinegar marinade) 4$, and Alcachofas vinagreta (baby artichokes, vinaigrette dressing), plus a pitcher of sangria.

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near La Bodega
4.0 out of 5 stars