La Bretagne, Vancouver

• Dabs's Profile Photo

La Bretagne: Fabulous crepes

by Dabs Written Aug 16, 2006

La Quebecois

The group of 9 VTers gathered again Saturday morning for crepes at La Bretagne in downtown Vancouver before our walking tour. Service was quick and friendly.

Crepes ranged from about $7CAD-$10CAD, with a drink and a tip it was just slightly over $10CAD.

Favorite Dish: It was hard to narrow down my selection to just one crepe but I finally settled for La Quebecois, a crepe filled with apples and maple syrup topped with whipped cream and it was terrific and very filling. When we returned for breakfast again on Sunday, I opted for the Hawaiian, filled with ice cream, pineapple and coconut topped with Belgian chocolate. It was good but I liked my first choice better.

The menu also has a variety of savoury crepes, there were so many that looked good I could probably eat here for a month without repeating :-)

• jag17's Profile Photo

La Bretagne: Yummy Crepes

by jag17 Written Aug 18, 2006

How Yummy Does This Look?

A menu of soups, salads, sandwiches and crepes are offered. As part of our VT meet we went for breakfast before our walking tour. I had every intention of ordering a breakfast crepe of bagon, eggs, and cheese. It was the bad influence of Kristi (dabs) who encouraged me to bypass that thought, and go straight to dessert! Who needs bacon and eggs when you can have a delicious crepe of pears, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate! Secretly I think everyone else at the table was jealous.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

La Bretagne: The best crepes in the city!

by Carmanah Updated Dec 29, 2006

While not a fancy restaurant, La Bretagne is probably the best place in town for authentic crepes. It's been around for decades now... probably since the 1980's or even the 70's. While cute - somewhat kitschy - this little cafe serves authentic crepes just like to the do in Britanny, France. I'd recommend coming here if you're looking for a hearty breakfast or late lunch.

Favorite Dish: To start we shared the warm goat cheese salad, and it's a good thing we shared it too! It was a generous serving of shredded green leaf lettuce, slices of tomato, red onion, and black olives, with 5 pieces of baked goat cheese spread over pieces of crispy baguette toast.

I had the asparagus, salmon, and white wine sauce crepe, and it made for a fantastic dinner crepe. Unlike other creperies around town whose food resembles pancakes more than they do crepes, at La Bretagne, their crepes are are crispy around the edges and are made wafer-thin, as real crepes ought to be!

When served, the crepes weren't rolled into tubes like I was somehow expecting. Instead, the crepe looked like a square package - it was placed flat on the plate, and all the filling was in the middle, and then the edges were flipped over to keep everything inside.

Inside my crepe, the asparagus was very fresh, and cooked just enough that it still maintained its crispness. The salmon was equally fresh, and I was quite surprised! Rather than smoked salmon lox, like I was somehow assuming, it was generous portions of chunks of fresh, poached, pink salmon. There was no cheese on this crepe, but instead, a lovely white wine creme sauce, and just the perfect amount too! Not too much as to make it soggy, but not too little as to make it dry. This crepe was absolutely delicious!

For dessert I splurged on the almond paste and chocolate crepe. I was almost too full to order dessert, but it just sounded so good!

We shared a rosee from Anjou, France. They have several wines, many of which are from the local Okanagan Valley, and many from France. They're all served by bottle, half litre, or by individual glass.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

La Bretagne: Best Crepes in Vancouver!

by rmdw Written Jan 29, 2006

The outside of La Bretagne

La Bretagne is an amazing little restaurant that I had somehow never discovered until a friend suggested we go for breakfast there one day. And I'll be going back and back again! The owners, Ross et Isabelle Spence, are from France and the care & attention famous amongst French restauranteurs is certainly everpresent here.

Breakfast is an obvious choice but the crepes would also make a satisfying lunch or dinner as well.

Everything was incredibly delicious!

• Singles

• Karolina01's Profile Photo

La Bretagne: French restaurant

by Karolina01 Written Aug 24, 2006

The second day of the VT meeting, we had a breakfast here. The food was so good and Larry and I went back there the next day, for lunch.

Instant Answers: Vancouver