Places to eat in Vancouver

• Chinese deep fried
    Chinese deep fried "donut/Vetkoek"...
    Cambie c/o w 15th
    fresh

Most Viewed Restaurants in Vancouver

• Ann75's Profile Photo

Harmony Donuts: The best donuts in town!

by Ann75 Updated Aug 16, 2014

When going for a cool down at Lynn Headwaters Regional Park with our little girl, I promised myself I was going to look up some good donut shops in North Vancouver. My husband LOVES donuts and he is really into cake donuts now. We used to get some good ones with springles on it in Guilford Mall (Surrey), but that coffee shop/donut place is no longer. We have never found anything that could compare to those yummy sprinkled cake donuts. I found a little place called "Harmony Donuts" and from what I could read they sounded awesome. I put the address in my GPS on the way home from Lynn Headwaters and the way we went!

When I arrived at the address I was a little puzzled as I couldn't see it, so I pulled in to a gas station nearby to give them a call and ask where they were located and if there was anything nearby them. She stated "next door from Starbucks"...Oh, I saw the big Starbucks sign so I must be in the right area. I parked at the Starbucks and walked up the street and there it was, a little whole in the wall right beside the Starbucks.

Favorite Dish: The lady from the shop and some other lady greeted us, they were very friendly. The inside of the store had some really extra ordinary decor with lots of antiques and collectables. There were a couple of tables where you could sit and enjoy your donuts, but I think most people just buy them for take out.

Oh my goodness, one glance at those donuts and I knew I had find something special!!! Beautifully sprinkled cake donuts in any colour imaginable. The lady makes the donuts right on the spot if you wish as she doesn't make a whole lot at once. Sometimes you can buy day old donuts as well for 50% off and I bet you they taste just as good (we used to buy the day olds in Surrey and they were still very tasty!). But to surprise my hubby I had to get the fresh ones, a dozen cost $10 (taxes included)...but oh they were worth every penny. These donuts melt in your mouth and are so flavourful.

If you are ever in this area of North Vancouver and you love donuts, then this is the place to be!!! We have been back there and will definitely be back again in the future!!

A dozen of yummy donuts The outside of the donut store The unique interior of Harmony Donuts Ava deciding which donuts to get Another yummy dozen of donuts

• Ann75's Profile Photo

Menchie's: Frozen yogurt bar!!

by Ann75 Written Aug 4, 2014

My best friend took us to Menchie's, it was the first time for myself and my 4 year old daughter. Menchie's is a frozen yogurt place (yes, with nonfat frozen yogurt!!) which can be found in many different cities/towns. They offer many different flavours of nonfat yogurts and tons of toppings you can add ranging from fresh fruits, to chocolate, cookies, candies and more. You can also add whipping cream, hot caramel sauce, hot chocolate sauce and so much more.

The experience is the fun part of going to "Menchie's". When you walk in the man behind the cash registered greeted us with a "Welcome to Menchie's" and help yourself to a small cup so you can sample the flavours you think you might like". So first we tried a few samples of the flavours that looked yummy. Then we grabbed our regular cup to be filled up with the flavours we liked.

After that you have filled your cup with the frozen yogurt flavours of your choice you move on to the toppings of which there are so many ranging from fresh fruit to candies, cookies and more! Once you are finished filling your cup with yogurt and adding all the goodies, sauces, whipping cream you can proceed to the cash register where they weigh your frozen yogurt and you pay by weight. For the 3 of us it was around $16, not too bad and worth every penny!

Favorite Dish: I had a bit of vanilla frozen yogurt, a bit of cookies & cream frozen yogurt and some salted caramel pretzel flavoured frozen yoghurt. Soooo yummy! I put some rainbow sprinkles on my frozen yogurt, some peanut butter chocolate chips, some raisins and some hot camamel sauce. Oh my goodness, this was soooo yummy! You can also add whipping cream and other toppings if you wish. Our little girl had so much fun tasting, putting different flavours of frozen yogurt in her cup and most of all adding some yummy goodies like gummy worms, malt balls and frosted animal crackers. You must try Menchie's if you can!

The different flavoured frozen yogurt at Menchies Ava trying some vanilla frozen yogurt All the different toppings to choose from! Ava her cup with frozen yogurt and goodies! :) Fresh fruit and other toppings

• buzzz's Profile Photo

The Water Street Cafe: Delicious Menu, Great Service and People Watching

by buzzz Written Jul 20, 2014

This is a great place to eat in a fabulous location right opposite the Gas Town Steam Clock. The ambience is chilled and service friendly. It has a lovely patio for people watching.

Favorite Dish: We had a few visits during our recent trip to Vancouver and tried the Spaghetti, the Club Sandwich, the fishcakes, Tiramisu, Bread and Butter Pudding and Cheescake. All beautifully presented and gorgeous.

Wick's Cafe: Your First Coffee in Vancouver

by kehale Updated Jul 14, 2014

I stumbled upon Wick's Cafe when I needed to find a spot to kill some time between an airport drop off and pick up. I had only an hour between dropping my husband at the airport and the time my brother's flight arrived, so I needed to find somewhere open early and that would be a safe and friendly spot to go with my 3yo daughter. Wick's had great reviews, and I knew I'd be able to get us a small bite to eat and light drink. It's in the perfect location if you are heading from the airport into the city, as it's just over the bridge connecting Richmond and Vancouver. The atmosphere is comfortable and cozy, just as a coffeehouse should be and the staff was friendly. Their menu was pretty extensive and we felt comfortable just hanging out enjoying our drinks and snack, while my daughter coloured. If you want to grab a coffee when you first arrive, skip Tim Horton's in the airport and stop by Wick's on your way into the city!

Favorite Dish: I ordered a delicious Chai Latte and a gooey cinnamon bun! The cinnamon bun was perfection and my daughter and I munched on it slowly together - it was the perfect morning snack before we had brunch at Granville Island!

• Business Travel

The Flying Beaver Bar & Grill: Good food and friendly staff

by Ann75 Written Jul 12, 2014

After we walked the 8km/5mi Iona Spit Trail in Iona Beach Regional Park in Richmond near the airport we worked up an appetite and decided to go here for lunch. Some people might wonder where the name comes from, but it has nothing to do with the animal that is called a beaver. It has to do with small water/sea/float planes that are called "beaver float planes" as this place is also a terminal for the Harbour Air seaThe setting is wonderful with this place being also a terminal for the Harbour Air sea planes that take off from here to Vancouver Island and other places. The building is right on stilts on top of the water.

We were greeted by a friendly girl and ask where we would like to sit, we asked if there was a patio seat as it was nice enough to sit outside. We got lucky as there was only one more table available and it was right beside the big window with a nice view. Lucky us, as it sounds like it can get pretty busy in this place...so if you are a bigger party make sure you reserve a spot ahead of time.

The service was great and pretty quick considering how busy it was in the restaurant. The servers were friendly and kind. The only thing that was kind of strange was that at the time we were there, there was one eager worker who kept taking our empty drink glasses away but never asked if we wanted a refill. But the servers came by just enough times that we could ask for another refill if we wanted.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed an appetizer first with was the "steamed local mussels" in a coconut curry sauce with chorizo and garlic bread. My friend ordered a "Seafood & Avocado Salad Sandwich" which had shrimp, crab, salmon, halibut, tuna, bacon & avocado served on ciabatta baguette. I ordered the "Seafood Grill" which were two seafood skewers with salmon, halibut & tiger prawns in a ginger-soy glaze with jasmine rice & seasonal vegetables...mmmm that was really delicious.

This restaurant is fairly pricey, but the food is excellent which makes it worth the money!

View of the outside of Flying Beaver Bar & Grill View from the patio where we sat Steamed local mussels in a coconut curry sauce My
    • Hiking and Walking

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Seasons in the Park: A Special Dining Experience for a Wonderful Night

by CdnJane Written Apr 5, 2014

Seasons in the Park is located at the top of the hill in Queen Elizabeth Park, with a spectacular view across to the mountains and downtown Vancouver... if it is clear, for us it was a wet evening, and the view obscured, but it did improve as the evening progressed. I was visiting Vancouver for the first time since both of my parents had passed away, and I wanted to have a gathering of cousins. This was a location that they had enjoyed entertaining at, so this is where was chosen. I was very pleased with the venue, for 19 of us. Due to the number of us, I dealt with Shannon, the Event Coordinator to set up a menu of a couple of options. She was wonderful to work with, providing me all the information I needed by email, and phone. The options were great for salads, soups, entrees and desserts, plus the wine list. We went with a Mixed Green Salad, Stuffed Mushrooms (absolutely amazing, and almost a meal in themselves, with seafood and cream cheese), and then a choice of Mushroom Ravioli or Grilled Steelhead Salmon for entree, and a wonderfully refreshing lemon tart for dessert. We were not rushed in sitting down initially, nor at any time with excellent service. The wait staff were wonderful, polite with a sense of humour. Everyone enjoyed the experience, and the guests with food allergies were well looked after. There is valet parking for $5, or meter parking down the road or up further by the fountain. The dining room was peaceful, and the other guests were kept away for their enjoyment and ours. Definitely an evening to remember.

Favorite Dish: The highlights of the meal were the "Sunburnt Lemon Pie two fruit coulis" dessert and the "Seasons Mushrooms crab, shrimp & cream cheese". However, I loved everything else I ate as well. The stuffed mushrooms was an ample serving - one of my cousins said she would've been happy with that having been her entree. The Sunburnt Lemon Pie was so refreshing and light to finish up the meal.

Net Loft Cafe on Granville Island: A variety of foods at decent prices

by Ann75 Written Mar 23, 2014

It's not a restaurant in the normal style of a restaurant. It's more of an eatery right into a small type of mall/building right across from the Public Market on Granville Island. There are several tables to sit and enjoy your food/drinks. You order at the counter and you have to pick it up when it is ready, so it's not a restaurant where you get served. They are pretty quick with their meals and it's kind of nice when you want a decent variety without having to wait to be served.

You can get anything from coffee, tea, cookies, pastries, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is served all day at this place, so if you feel like a breakfast dish at dinner you can go right ahead and enjoy one. The prices are fairly good compared to the rest of the places in and around Granville Island. The staff is very friendly and the service is pretty fast. A great alternative for a decent meal without having to sit down an waiting to be served. And the biggest plus is that it's not as busy here compared to the Public Market.

Favorite Dish: The last time we were there I ordered the "bacon cheese burger" which comes with fries, it comes with a slice of tomato, lettuce, cheese and 2 big slices of bacon. It was pretty good taste wise, just add a little bit of ketchup in the hamburger and you're good to go. It only comes with a little butter and mayo. I always order mayonnaise on the side as I love to dip my fries into the mayo and I didn't have to pay extra for that. The burger was quite big and the fries were tasty.

My friend ordered the eggs Benedict which she really enjoyed. It comes with hashbrowns as well. I think she had the "traditional" eggs Benedict, but there is choice of "traditional", "smoked salmon & cream cheese" or "vegetarian" (grilled tomato & avocado). They are also know for their giant cookies which are the "giant oatmeal chocolate chip cookies".

Bacon cheese burger Traditional eggs benedict Our little one wanted a

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Vancouver's largest coffee chain: Blenz Coffee

by Arial_27 Written Mar 16, 2014

Despite the nation-wide prevalence of Tim Hortons, Blenz coffee seems to be more popular here in Vancouver. It is a Canadian franchise that opened its first shop in Vancouver in 1992. It now has 60 + locations in British Columbia, and a few others internationally in Asia and the Middle East.

You won't find this chain in other Canadian provinces, so may as well give it a try while you're here!

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Vancouver's number 1 ice cream place: La Casa Gelato International

by Arial_27 Written Mar 16, 2014

I recently googled 'top 10 ice cream places in Vancouver' and this popped up as number 1.

There are over 200 flavours to choose from, including very obscure ones like wasabi and curry!

Favorite Dish: I didn't actually try the ice cream, as I was on a diet at the time. I did visit here though with two friends and they seemed very pleased with what they ordered. :)

The Red Wagon Cafe: Best Breakfast Spot

by kehale Written Feb 3, 2014

We'd heard so many great things about The Red Wagon after seeing them on TV. So, on our way back home after a night in the city we decided to stop here for a breakfast bite. We arrived early enough that the line was short and the wait not too long. It was a pretty mild December day, so waiting outside wasn't too bad, and when they brought out some fresh mini donuts it made the wait even more worth it!

The atmosphere is a kind of hipster, but even if it's not totally your scene it's worth it for the friendly service and great food. Since we didn't have our daughter with us we sat at the bar and enjoyed delicious coffee and fantastic food! It was hard to just pick one item off the menu but we were both able to narrow it down and pick something that hit the spot! We'll be back again... and maybe next time with our daughter since this place is definitely family friendly!

Favorite Dish: Though they are famous for their pulled pork pancakes with Jack Daniels spiked maple-syrup, neither of us were really in the mood for pancakes after a night of drinking. Instead, I opted for the Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict. It was so delicious and the perfect breakfast to kill whatever hangover I had left.

• School Holidays

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Mad Greek: Great take-out option in Richmond

by Jefie Written Jan 22, 2014

This restaurant was located right next to our hotel so we thought we'd go there to celebrate our last evening in Richmond; however, we had no idea when the karate competition would end and when we showed up at 7:00 pm on a Saturday night with no reservation, the place was already packed. Instead of waiting for a table, we decided to order some take-out. We did have time to assess the atmosphere of the place, which looked really nice, lively and cosy. The feast we brought back to our hotel was delicious! The chicken souvlakis came with a delicious Greek salad, rice, boiled potatoes, tatziki dip and pita bread, all for only $16. I wouldn't say it was the best Greek meal I've ever had, but it was really good. It would have been nice to eat at the restaurant, but in the end my sister and I were able to enjoy a great, relaxing meal back at the hotel. It definitely beats ordering pizza!

Mad Greek restaurant in Richmond, BC Our take-out meal from Mad Greek

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Shiro: Japanese for lunch

by kenHuocj Written Jul 28, 2013

Looked small and established, a look through the window convinced us it was the right choice.
    Japanese welcome, different generation of obviously a family took us straight to the stools in front of the food providers.
    Freshly made in front of us, pity it was only a lunch snack, on our next visit to BC, will liner longer to try different sections of menu and what others are ordering
    Good Value for $-s

Favorite Dish: what we had as shown by photos

Cambie c/o w 15th fresh at the Chef's whims Loo ala Nippon Like imkoonta Apr 2, 2011, we sat at the counter 2

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Tai Tung Chinese Seafood Restaurant ~ Granville: King Crab and Rock Cod Dinner

by kenHuocj Written Jul 6, 2013

my three offspring had never had King Crab trio on their previous visits, i was fortunate enough to have enjoyed it on my previous two visits, and this was the automatic choice, being closer for us than the orignal Kingsway eatery. Despite the peak season was over, we still managed to catch the tail end, though locals say to small, too expensive and flesh not as deliocate nor as tasty as it should be.

Service was excellent, King Crab Trio and Steamed Rock Cod 4.5 / 5
    Rock Cod 5/5, wish we had one less dish as we were a bit full.
    Salt baked chicken 5/5, last dish to arrive on the table, so it was lunch the following day.

only complaint, it was pricier than i expected, alas a full satiated tummy is a contented soul, and the young ones tryuly relished the experience

Favorite Dish: King Crab trio allows you to savour the ocean, the delicate flavour and texture and the versality of crab under very different preparation techniques and cooking methods.
    Steamed legs with gralic and ginger, the left over sauce is later used to toss into a Shanghai noodles,
    the joint and bodies are cut into managable pieces then deep fired with a salty spicy dry crispy batter;

2 x 6 lb King Crabs Legs steamed with Garlic, Ginger & Spring onions Portuguese  Paella / with the tomalley

• fdylan's Profile Photo

Kobe: Delicious Food and Entertaining Chefs!

by fdylan Written Jun 7, 2013

The restaurant has the best japanese food i have ever tried! Great restaurant layout that is very comfortable and group friendly. The food is cooked right in front of your eyes and is made into a cool show. If you are ever on Alberni street, try this place out!

Favorite Dish: Teriyaki Combination is by far my favourite dish. It is cooked perfectly and has delicious sauces. The portion is just right and very filling.

• kehale's Profile Photo

La Pentola: Delicious Options!

by kehale Written Mar 12, 2013

The restaurant is very upscale, but doesn't feel pretentious. The staff was so friendly and welcoming, and did a great job making recommendations on everything from drinks to food. I don't think one person was disappointed in anything that we ordered.

If you are looking for night life following dinner, there are plenty of bars in the area, as the restaurant is located in Yaletown, just know that they are pretty expensive.

Favorite Dish: They have a ton of delicious options and it was hard to choose what to eat. I asked the waiter about a few options and he helped me make my decision. I opted for the roasted bone marrow to start, and followed it up with the beef cheek ravioli. Both were fantastic. The portions were not huge, and after eating both, I found I was satisfied - not even interested in dessert (which is not common for me).

• Wine Tasting

Vancouver Hotels

• Opus Hotel

A contemporary hotel located in the very cosmopolitan Yaletown. Top-notch service from a very...

• St. Regis Hotel

The St Regis is a wonderful gem in the core of Vancouver where one can easily enjoy the sidewalk...

• L'Hermitage Hotel

A great hotel from start to finish. Excellent rooms are very comfortable. Service is 5 star and all...

Latest Vancouver Hotel Reviews

The Hotel at Terminal City Club
The Listel Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Vancouver Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Vancouver locals.
Map of Vancouver